Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-17-2006, 10:19 AM   #1
betty_joanne
Registered Users
seller
seller

Old serger. Worth fixing???

I am interested in sewing recycled sweaters into soakers for dd and my parents let me borrow a broken serger. I am going to try to find a place to fix it but am wondering if it is expensive to fix, can you trade up, etc?
It says on the serger "sergemate companion 5030". It does not say the brand on it but may possibly be made by simplicity(????). It has 3 thread holders on it. No clue what is wrong with it as i haven't tried it. Dad said possibly something about the thread tension being messed up. It has been collecting dust for 3 years so he basically will let me do whatever with it.
Can you trade these things in?? Trade in for parts? Are they worth it to fix?

Advertisement

Old 07-17-2006, 10:34 AM   #2
Bluemoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Old serger. Worth fixing???

well I think you first have to see if it can be fixed locally. around here you have too pay to ship it to somewhere then pay thm to fix it then pay to have it shipped back. And hard telling how much it will cost to fix it. So its a risk either way to find out how much it will cost
Barbara
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:37 AM   #3
betty_joanne
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have 2 stores locally that i am going to try. The thing is a little bit heavy for shipping.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:49 AM   #4
betty_joanne
Registered Users
seller
seller

Here is a picture of it:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j3...mate5030-1.jpg
if you can't get in the password is diapers

Anyone know how to thread it?? I am kind of scared of it. Do these things have a bobbin in the bottom or anything like that?? ok, figured out how to open it. There is a thread guide on the bottom with different color dots. Darn it's confusing. Keep calling my mom to see if she can find the manual. Maybe dad remembers how to thread it(fat chance )

Last edited by betty_joanne; 07-17-2006 at 12:06 PM.
betty_joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:57 PM   #5
Lyric
Registered Users
seller

Since it is color coded with the dots for threading it should be rather simple just follow the color dot for the first thread the dots should be the same color for the first thread then do the same for the second thread hope I didn't confuse you. Then I would try to use it just play with it a little to see if it works.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:22 PM   #6
Shaineinok
Registered Users
seller

I don't know a thing about that model. This site though has a manual you can buy for it.
http://www.sew4less.com/sitemap_prod...5&ModelID=2793
Shaineinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:00 AM   #7
betty_joanne
Registered Users
seller
seller

They wanted $80 plus tax for a tune up(oiled, tension fixed, etc) and stated that the sergers stitching would be inferior to the new sergers today. Stated that if one of the stitches got cut or came loose the whole thing would unravel. They said the best bet would be to donate it somewhere and write it off of taxes.
oh well With all the woes i hear about sergers maybe it's best i go without.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:56 PM   #8
mommy2zander
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Are you sure it's broken... my aunt, (who loves to sew, mind you, but isn't a serger user) had one in her basement for years, thinking it was broken... After I showed my sis & cousin how to adjust the tension they got it working great!!

Another thing is to make sure who-ever you are talking to isn't trying to sell you another machine... I payed $99 for my used babylock, (it's so old, it's turned a discolored yellow, but when I talked to an awesome lady we have here in town that owns the sewing store, she said these older machines are the best, better then a $300 machine new now-a-days...

Do you have the directions to thread it? What about to adjust the tension? I wonder if you can download them online or find another mama/person who has the same machine that would send a copy of their directions? I think sergers can often me mistaken as broken cause the tension is so hard to adjust (I know when I was having trouble when I first got mine, I wanted to throw it out the window! )... do you have yahoo messanger? maybe I can help you thread & adjust the tension over yahoo messanger or something... pm me if you want!
mommy2zander is offline   Reply With Quote