Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-26-2007, 09:25 PM   #1
OnlyWomanInTheHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: chasingprisms
seller

My Mood:
Hypermesis Gravidarum?

Has anyone experienced this? I called my doctor today because my symptoms are getting worse. I started mid-August at 183 pounds. I went to the gym for a few weeks trying to lose weight and it wouldn't budge. I didn't know I was pg yet, nor did I have any morning sickness. So now at 8 weeks (est) I have lost 14 pounds, and weigh 169. I feel like crap. Some mornings I just can't get it under control no matter how hard I try and I just start puking. If I don't throw up I am sick all day. I feel week, like someone with an eating disorder. My chest feels faint, I get dizzy, I haven't even been able to go to class this week (but have contacted my teachers and am working with them). Most days I'm lucky to eat 1000-1200 calories, and on good days I max at maybe 1500. My nutrition teacher said based on my life style (busy college student) and that I'm breastfeeding that I should eat no less then 2000 calories. Well, that's pretty hard right now.

So I was looking for information and came across Hypermesis Gravidarum(HG). I don't want to feel stupid going into the OB with a self diagnosis, I'm sure docs hate that, but I really think it's worse than just MS. I cannot do anything, all day. I can't take a shower because I get too hot. I can't cook because the smells make me want to pass out. I can't change poopy diapers or get to class on time (9:30 one day, 10 the other) even if I start my day at 7am. DF has had to do everything around the house, and all I can do is lay down because I feel like my heart is going to explode. I feel undernourished and dehydrated most days. I just don't know how much more I can take.

So, please if you have this or think that I might have this, tell me that it is going to get better... and not after I deliver.

Advertisement

OnlyWomanInTheHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:37 PM   #2
MommyMommyMommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Hypermesis Gravidarum?

Even if it isn't that severe, there are meds that you can take to help. I would go in and see about getting something. Lots of hugs coming your way!!
MommyMommyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:38 PM   #3
JnSAlger
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Moore, OK/Chesapeake, VA/Lynbrook, NY/Huntsville, AL/Augusta, GA
My Mood:

If you can get it down I would try ginger tea. It helps with the nausea. I have also heard papaya works... the sugars in it made me sick... I fyou need help with Connor let me know..."I will come to your rescue" LOL.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:48 PM   #4
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
Formerly: MyTwoSunshines
seller
seller

My Mood:

First off, I wanted to offer I am on pregnancy #3 and have had hyperemesis with all of them. My first recommendation is for you to go to your doctor to have your urine checked to make sure you're not dehydrated. They can tell by checking for ketones in the urine sample. If you're dehydrated, they may want to put you on IV fluids w/some anti-nausea meds to help get you feeling better. Then I would suggest asking them for some medication (like Reglan or Zofran) to help control the vomiting. I take Zofran twice daily, it doesn't control the nausea but it controls the urge to puke (or gag.) My doctor also has me on Phenergan, I take 1/2 pill between meals to help keep my food down, so far its working great and the 1/2 pill doesn't make me sleepy. Hyperemesis can take a toll on your body really fast so if thats what you suspect, you need to be seen by your doctor and express your concerns...its better to be safe than sorry with a little bean in there. Good luck to you and I hope it gets better!
Expecting our Rainbow EDD 11/19/15
*MamaStacy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:59 PM   #5
YummyYarnAddict
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You will probably discover that the actual "criteria" for an official diagnosis of HG will vary a bit. My OB/GYN would say that 8 weeks is a bit early to dx HG though I've had it for all of my pregnancies. She's wait until week 12 or so to see if it improves. Instead of seeking a diagnosis at this point, I'd suggest looking for things that help you feel better. There's another post further down on this page chock full of suggestions for morning sickness. Hopefully something there will be helpful. The biggest thing is to stay hydrated, and, if necessary, there are prescription medications that can help you. I've lost tons of weight during my first two trimesters in each of my pregnancies and try to tough it out without meds, but by the time I was pregnant with my 14mo, they had me coming in weekly for weight checks because we "knew the routine" and in week 9 I lost 10lbs. Because of my history and knowing that I could be in and out of the hospital, on IV meds, etc. etc. they put me on medication right away because a ten pound weight loss in one week for me is just the beginning (I only gained 11lbs when I was pregnant with my daughter and that was HARD work -- they practically force fed me to gain that). I was also breastfeeding during my pregnancy with my son and, even then, the biggest thing is to stay hydrated, I wouldn't focus so much on the weight loss during the first trimester (which is very common) unless you're underweight to start with or your OB/GYN is concerned. I was dehydrated and at the low end of the weight range for my height, so with the breastfeeding, being hydrated was a top priority. I did lose some weight, but we kept a very close eye on it.

Talk to your doc and see what s/he has to say.
YummyYarnAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:13 PM   #6
OnlyWomanInTheHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: chasingprisms
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all of the great advice ladies!! I will call the OB tomorrow and see if I can't sneak my way into an appt. I am interested in acupuncture over taking meds first, but am not sure that my insurance will cover it. I know I can see a chiro (I know not the same), there are some in my area that also have acupuncturists in the same office. So maybe. I'll let ya'll know what they say.

OnlyWomanInTheHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:06 PM   #7
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I have had mild hyperemesis with my pregnancies and Zofran has been my wonder drug. I still take it at almost 36 weeks every morning or I am puking and nauseated all day. I tried everything with my first, and then tried a few different kinds of meds, but ended up in the ER dehydrated and that's when they prescribed Zofran. I don't know what I'd do without it.....seriously!!

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote