Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-26-2007, 03:31 PM   #1
kristy-n-chad
Registered Users

My Mood:
Sooo bummed

I looooove the hospital that I had all the boys at. But, as you can imagine, I have quite a tab there from all the boys ( my ins only covered 80%, and with my csection and then multiple visits every week with Bam). They won't see me bc my account is collections.

The other local hospital is much closer (10 mins vs. 45), but I have heard such mixed reviews. Some people hated their experiences there, some loved theirs. I am so bummed. I know everyone at the other hospital, all the boys were born there, they know my history with Asa's stillbirth. But I need to see the dr soon, before I can whittle that bill down, I'm sure. Maybe start at the Keene hospital, then go to Peterborough when I pay them off? But then I don't like the idea of switching mid-pregnancy. Argh. What to do?

Advertisement

Old 09-26-2007, 03:32 PM   #2
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sooo bummed

I didn't think they could deny you care if you were paying

mama
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:31 PM   #3
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

No hospital can deny medical care, no insurance or long tab included! When you are in labor, arrive through the emergency room, they HAVE to take you. They won't be nice about it but tooooo bad!
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:32 PM   #4
kristy-n-chad
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
No hospital can deny medical care, no insurance or long tab included! When you are in labor, arrive through the emergency room, they HAVE to take you. They won't be nice about it but tooooo bad!
Good idea for May...what do I do until then??
Old 09-26-2007, 07:55 PM   #5
nickelmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Can you pay a little at a time to get the account out of collections? Or maybe someone at the hospital can work on a payment plan that way you can get the medical care you need?
Old 09-26-2007, 09:55 PM   #6
luvmykiddoes
COOP HOSTESS
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Hospitals can't deny you medical care can they?

luvmykiddoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:28 AM   #7
lovemy4boys
Registered Users

I've been told that the hospitals here will deny care at the emergency room if you have no coverage.

In fact, there were some friends of mine who had everything squared away beforehand, but there was some clerical ommission, and when my friend showed up in labor, the clerk was in the delivery room telling her to stop and call her insurance company first. Luckily, her husband was there to tell them he'd take care of it in the morning and they needed to leave.

You may want to verify the particular laws in your area.
lovemy4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:35 AM   #8
RoxyRocks
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This is what I would do....

If you dont feel comterable even ALITTLE bit with the other hospital then dont go!!! No hospital can turn you away at the door for ANY reason in a case of a emergency(which PG is considered one & a disability) I would labor as LONG as you possible can at home & then go into the hospital where you wont to....they wont turn you away & if they do you could SUE!!!

Also yes if you "pre-admit" into a OB unit they will look to see if you have been seen there but they arent going to call billing to see what you owe. If you just "show up" they will just go ahead & admit you....even more so if you are in active labor. Once they got that IV in they arent going to pull it out & tell you to go 45 mins down the road that is just YELLING lawsuit.

I would keep it hush hush you were planning on doing this. No, you wont probably have the same Doc you do right now deliever the baby but anyone who has had kiddo's know that the nurses are what you see 90% of the time anyway!

BUT DONT TELL YOUR DOCTOR OR THE HOSPITAL THAT YOU ARE "PLANNING" ON JUST GOING WHERE EVER YOU WANT TO NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY

lots of people do this believe it or not......one of my instructors talked about it many times****I am a nursing student(almost done )

Bottom line is you need to be happy & comterable where you have your baby at!!!
Old 09-27-2007, 07:08 AM   #9
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Have you been paying on the bill at all? They can't deny you if you are paying, even $5 a month. But if it's in collections, you may or may not be paying. If you haven't been, I'd call them up and try to make a payment plan with them. Tell them you can only afford $5 a month or $10 a month or whatever. And pay it. Keep track of it and pay on time. That way you can be seen by the doc and you can deliver at that hospital. Don't deliver at a hospital that you aren't comfortable at. There's a hospital about 10 minutes from me that's horrible. I refuse to go there, instead opting for the place that's 30 minutes(with traffic) away. We drove 45 minutes to another hospital when dd dislocated her elbow a few months ago because I refuse to take my children to the close by one.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:17 AM   #10
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

I don't think switching in the middle is a big deal. We moved towards the end of my PGs with my first 2 and it was no biggie, I just had my records faxed over to my new OB. I would try to get that bill payed and switch as soon as they will let you.