Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-25-2007, 01:51 PM   #1
hsjwmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
I start 17P injections in 2 weeks...

So, has anyone here ever been on it? I was talking to the NP about it today and she didn't want to scare me but said the stuff is really thick and therefore pretty painful to have injected.

The good thing though is that they have had TERRIFIC results using it with other patients over the past year and a half or so. She said EVERY one of them went to term! They just had one deliver last weekend that they thought they were going to have to induce! I'll still need to be on restricted activity but likely won't have to get Mag Sulphate or turbutaline, so that is a relief. It's funny, she was saying that the patients on it are all weirded out (my words ) to be going to term, it's such a new experience for them! I'm pretty excited, I wonder how big this baby will get if I go to term...My first was 6#1oz at 35 weeks and my second was 5#14oz at 35wks 1d, so I'm a bit nervous at how big baby will get with a few extra weeks to cook.

On a side note, I asked my doc about my girls being able to be there for the birth and she was totally fine with it! This is my last baby and I really want the girls to be able to be there, so I'm really happy about it!

Advertisement

Last edited by hsjwmom; 09-25-2007 at 03:34 PM. Reason: left out a word
hsjwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:26 PM   #2
Jessica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I start 17P injections in 2 weeks...

Hi there,

I used progesterone injections and they do sting a bit, because its a thick base, I think mine was peanut base anyways.. It only last a few minutes! Youll be fine!!! I was surprised to read this because I havent met alot of other moms who had to use it! Good luck
Old 09-25-2007, 03:37 PM   #3
hsjwmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well, that's a relief! I was thinking some awful deep ache that would last for hours or something! Hopefully, we'll have a good outcome with this baby
Old 09-27-2007, 10:47 AM   #4
Lynnmabel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used progesterone in oil injections for a previous pregnancy and I found that they were uncomfortable. I would reccomend a smaller needle, even though it takes longer to get the oil in because it's think. You might also use a heating pad or hot water bottle afterwards to help disolve the oil because it can sometimes leave sore lumps where the oil has not yet dispersed. I had one shot a day for several weeks and, honestly, while it was unconfortable to inject (I gave them to myself in my hip) and the lumps got pretty sore sometimes, it was all worth it.

Stephanie
Lynnmabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:52 AM   #5
hsjwmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for the tips! I'll be getting them once a week from 18 - 36 weeks, so I'm sure I'll be looking for any way to make them more comfortable. I asked about doing it myself and they said it won't work, that if dh was ok with it, he could, but otherwise, I need to go into the office for them. Fortunately, the office is only about 10 minutes away.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:48 PM   #6
harleysheart
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsjwmom View Post
Thanks for the tips! I'll be getting them once a week from 18 - 36 weeks, so I'm sure I'll be looking for any way to make them more comfortable. I asked about doing it myself and they said it won't work, that if dh was ok with it, he could, but otherwise, I need to go into the office for them. Fortunately, the office is only about 10 minutes away.
Hey mama...I am doing this right now. I started at about 18 weeks and am told we will do it till 36 weeks as well. I give them to my self in the leg with a small needle. Now that being said I live an hours drive from the hospital so I think its a waste to go 1 hr to get a 2 sec shot and then an hour home. So they taught me how to do it to myself and I switch between legs every week. Some weeks my leg is sore others its not. The soreness sometimes last a few hours or sometimes a couple days. I have never had it hurt when I go to the hospital for them to do it though. If you have any questions let me know I only have 6 more weeks of shots! YEAH!!!!
My blog:The Frugal 5
harleysheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:27 PM   #7
hsjwmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

How have the shots worked for preventing the preterm? I was told that I'll probably still contract a lot, but that it will stop me from delivering. Have you been able to keep up a fairly normal amount of activity, or do you really have to take it easy? Thanks!