Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2007, 10:35 AM   #1
Tahaacke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have to suffer because I am pregnant!

Okay so how fair is this. A co worker at my husband's job took a week of his paid vacation off when his GF was in the hospital for her baby. She had the c section after four days into the vacation and he still got the rest of the days off. Well fisrt off all my appts are on Thurs so my husband requested that he needs all thurs off until the baby is born. Well they stopped this week (the week of my last appt) and the response he got when he asked why was simply that he could not have them off because I should of had the baby by now. Plus DH asked if he could take the week off when I will most likely be induced. He was told that he might not even get the next day off. WTH? You know. So now when I go to my Appt I have to see if I can be induced (Which I am not wanting to do again at all) on mon so that my DH can be there.

Then to top it all off, I emailed my teachers to inform them that I am pregnant and that I will not be able to turn in assignments while in the hospital, whenever that may be. One of the teachers replies back saying that I will be pentalized for any assignments not turned in by 10% each day. That I should turn in my assignments early so that it will help. This made me mad because going into labor is not something I can predict so even doing the assignments early will not help. Plus I still have to post (My classes are all online) to gain attendance credit so I don't lose my financial aid. So how would that help??

Grr. Sorry I just needed to rant. I mean I feel as if DH work is saying that just because my baby wasn't here by the EDD then it doesn't matter. I take it personally because we are friends with the coworker and they just had a baby so they should understand more why DH should be at the birth and be with me at the hospital. Plus with the whole school thing, the teacher is just plain mean.

Advertisement

Tahaacke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:44 AM   #2
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I have to suffer because I am pregnant!

How long has your husband been at this job? If he's been there for a year or more he qualifies for FMLA. Sure, you might not be able to get off with him only getting 60% of his pay but it might serve the company right by penalizing your husband for your baby not being born on the due date. Don't they realize that due dates are approximates? They're not an indication of exactly when the baby will be born...
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
Tahaacke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He has been there for four years. I'll check into that. But I agree its called an Estimated due date for a reason. I think only like 5% of all babies are born on their EDD.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:56 AM   #4
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

How upsetting! I hope DH can be there for the birth. As far as being a student goes, you knew you were going to have the baby during the semester when you signed up for classes, so you can't expect the instructors to make special accomodations, kwim? I mean it would be nice, but you can't expect it. Getting as much as you can done before the baby comes sounds like a good idea.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:33 AM   #5
Tahaacke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For the schooling I wasn't trying to get any special treatment. I was just informing them that I would have the baby so that they would know that I would not be able to turn in my assignments till the day I got home. That way I would not lose my fin aid. I didn't want extra time to do the assignments or anything just to be able to turn in them when I got back because there are no extra credit or any extra assignments I can do so if my grade slips because I am having a baby I can't ever go back and change it. I talked to my enrollement concellor when I signed up for my schooling and he said it was all okay, that I could take a week off if needed. However I didn't want to go that far but I wanted them not to take of 10% each day per assignment while I am in the hospital and have no access to the internet.

Its mainly just the participation I am worried about because I have to post everyday for fin aid and grade purposes. But I do understand what you are saying.

Last edited by Tahaacke; 10-03-2007 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:29 PM   #6
bluebonnet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Talk to the Registar's office for your school (or the enrollment folks, whatever they are called) and tell them you will need to file an "Incomplete" for all of our courses. Basically, it puts a hold on your classes and you can make up all the work within a reasonable amount of time. Yes, you knew you were having a baby, but they also knew that and told you it was okay.

I had to leave near the end of sememster in grad school because I ended up having surgery (which for you a c-sect is a surgery) and I was able to make up all of my coursework in every class over the summer (it was the spring term I had to leave). I think about a 4 or 6 weeks after my surgery, I began to make up my coursework and I made it up over the next month or so from that point.

Look up the schools rules, and demand to talk w/ upper level administration until they give you what you want. Don't settle for the professor's word. You have rights as a student....
Old 10-03-2007, 12:39 PM   #7
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

awwwww thats just NOT FAIR! I'm so sorry momma
Old 10-03-2007, 12:44 PM   #8
Tahaacke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am not having a c section btw. lol sorry if that was misunderstood. But I'll look into that. My other teacher was fine with this. I am not demanding or wanting a week or more off. Just time to be in the hospital so that the day I return I can turn in the assignments (that I didn't get to) and get back my participation. You know, I'd hate to lose credit and have my grades drop because of having a baby.

Thanks for the information. I sent an email to my acedemic concellor a while ago and never heard back so I'm still waiting to hear what they say.

I am more worried about DH's job then anything. I don't see why his coworker got a weeks paid vacation where DH cannot even get one day off. The thing is we even told them in advance (I knew I'd be over because with DD I was and it looked to be this way) where as the coworker just called that day (they had a sceduled C section btw). Plus my DH gets two weeks paid vacation (that he has not taken yet this year) so I don't see why they are being this way.