Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2007, 10:37 PM   #1
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question GBS Test?

When is the group b strep test done?

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2007, 01:11 AM   #2
bubblesteach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: GBS Test?

I think around 28 or 30 weeks. I'm not completley sure though. Really they can test anytime if you ask them to .
Old 10-03-2007, 01:23 AM   #3
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

I also wanted to add that just because you test negative for it at the time of the test.. doesn't mean that you don't have it! I would get two tests done. One when they want to do it and the other right before delivery. It can kill your baby and cause lots of issues, but simply taking meds during labor & delivery completely stops that from happening. If you have had a baby with GBS then I would demand meds during labor/delivery no matter what.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:53 AM   #4
jeannewojo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We check at 36 weeks. But, I agree with the pp about a recheck in labor. I've seen some pretty sick babes come from mamas that tested negative! It would take a while to get results back, but will give your baby's pediatrician a boost in diagnosing your LO if something seems off.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:27 AM   #5
stayinhomewithmy6
Registered Users
Formerly: stayinhomewithmy5
seller

My Mood:

My doc tests at 36 wks or after. I tested + last time and had to have an IV with antibiotics throughout L&D. Much better than a sick babe. I was so relieved that they tested and found out before I went into labor.
stayinhomewithmy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:30 AM   #6
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

CDC is now recommending not to do IV antibiotics in birth for Group B b/c it is becoming immune to the meds.

That being said I have tested - on all of mine, but have talked to my midwife about it this time.... you can test positive one HOUR and negative the next hour.

BTW, my info comes from the midwives.....
The midwife considers the miracle of childbirth as normal, and leaves it alone unless there's trouble. The obstetrician normally sees childbirth as trouble. If he leaves it alone, it's a miracle.-Sheila Stubbs
ClothDiaperMePlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:41 AM   #7
GrahamBaby4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our OB tests at 36 weeks for GBS. However, I tested Negative my first 3 pregnancies and positive with my 4th. He said that I have probably always had it! It can cause problems with baby, but make sure if your water breaks you go in quickly because it causes MORE problems if baby takes more than 17 hours to get out after your membranes rupture.
GrahamBaby4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:07 AM   #8
stayinhomewithmy6
Registered Users
Formerly: stayinhomewithmy5
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothDiaperMePlease View Post
CDC is now recommending not to do IV antibiotics in birth for Group B b/c it is becoming immune to the meds.
Hmmm... that is interesting. It was 3 1/4 yrs ago when I tested pos. I wonder if my doc would do things differently now.
stayinhomewithmy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:35 AM   #9
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothDiaperMePlease View Post
So what is suggested to do as giving IV meds during labor & delivery will prevent the baby from getting it? I have iv meds with every baby and have not had a GBS baby since doing that. I will continue to do just that too. That is something that I won't mess around with no doubts about it. I would much rather them have to use a stronger med than a dead baby!
Old 10-03-2007, 02:14 PM   #10
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I tested positive w/ my last.. you can use garlic to kill it.

Just peel a clove,pop it in and change it out every so many hours~ I am not getting the test this time around and am just going to use the garlic since it will kill off other ickies as well~

Oh, I got tested at 36 weeks

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote