Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2007, 09:56 AM   #31
Jenifer
Banned

My Mood:
Re: How many of you CLW?

We CLW with both girls.. Livvie was more independent then samonia and at about 13-15 months she was nursing only 3-5 times a day and it tapered to nothing at 2.5years.. she did pick from my plate at about 10ish-11ish months when she wanted to try solids i let her but never babyfood.. she picked from our plates at her own will.. Samonia is VERY attached to nursing, she doesnt much care for solids yet, she has had an occasional taste of our plates here and there never a formal meal.. she nurses every 2 hours, maybe more, i dont really time it as i let her nurse on demand, she is still nursing 4ish times at night.. i will let her nurse until whenever she wants to but i can see her nursing upwards of 3 or more maybe.. and im fine with that!

Advertisement

Jenifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:39 PM   #32
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

I tried to nurse longer but my daughter decided at 22 months that she was DONE with her "nack" and she screamed everytime we snuggled and I tried to offer. She was MAD! Woooo baby! She still talks about it and gives her babies "nack" but she doesn't want it. She'll even kiss my breasts. But she's not interested in nursing at all. She had her first small taste of solids at 11 months and really didn't get most of her nutrition from solids until 18months or so. She started cow's milk at daycare about 2 months before she stopped nursing and was fine. The transition was really very sudden and violent but there was nothing I could do to convince her to nurse again. So while I hesitate to call it self-weaning, I dont' think it qualified as a strike either. Whiel I wanted her to nurse again, about a week went by and I realized I was pretty happy to be done. I miss that certain kind of closeness that only I could offer but her all over me all the time at nearly 2 was overwhelming. I think we are closer now and snuggle just because more now that we are done with nursing. I do look forward to nursing big bird and I wonder what lulu will do but she will be over a year from her last nursing session when big bird arrives so aside from a quick taste to see if she's really allowed(she is!), I doubt she'll want "nack" again.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:05 PM   #33
swellmel
Registered Users
seller

We do CLW here. Eleanor self weaned at 16 months. SHe had been slowly cutting down and then I got pregnant with Lucy and about a month after I found out I was pregnant she had pretty much stopped nursing completely. With Lucy she is 19 months now with NO sign of weaning. She still isn't completely sold on solids so I know a lot of her nutrition is from breast milk. Well I shouldn't say that. She's just a very finnicky eater. lol When she's ready to cut back I'll be ready. I'm not saying it won't make me sad but ykwim.
swellmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:34 AM   #34
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

This is a quote, I'm sorry I don't know how to ACTUALLY use the quote action!"Oh I know, I agree but if someone want to say they CLW, who am I to argue?!? But technically, yah, if you offer a bottle before a year or use one on a regular basis, you really aren't doing CLW and for some reason, a lot of people don't get that.
I think people often confuse extended BF'ing with CLWing....when you "wean" a child, you offer a bottle to substitute for a feeding at the breast, and from the first moment you do that, you are beginning to wean your child from the breast so they are no longer leading the weaning process.
And yes, I realize this isn't for everyone, that's why I asked who is doing it cause it is hard and people often think you're crazy cause you don't just give your kid cow's milk or just give your babe a bottle. However, I do agree with another post that once you get to a certain point, like around 2 or so, the don't offer/don't refuse isn't necessarily a weaning thing, you are just following your kids clues. And I also think at some point you want your kid to learn to sip from a cup however you aren't doing that to take the place of mama's milk. I hope that makes sense."

This is exactly what I was meaning. I'm not going to say, Ummm...NO you didn't CLW because you may completely feel that you did and I'm not one to say that you didnt. I also agree that many get confused between Extended bfing and CLW. Either way though ALL of us on this thread should be EXTREMLY happy with how far we've gone based on the way our society looks at Bfing!!
Old 10-03-2007, 04:05 PM   #35
Meredith+2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep, that's our plan. Although so far we're heavy on the "child-led" and not so much on the "weaning."
Meredith+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:33 PM   #36
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

CLW here for sure