Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-04-2007, 10:05 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Unhappy Grr low milk supply

Ugh.... I know this is just a lack of sleep and hormones and a bit of the baby blues but I'm feeling like such a crummy mommy today.

My baby was born 3 weeks early on Friday via c-section because she had a high heart rate and I had high BP and was diagnosed with pre-e. She ended up all weekend on an oxygen hood because one of her lungs wasn't quite mature enough yet. We finally got her home with us yesterday.
1. I feel like failure in a sense because it was my job to keep her in me and safe until she was ready to come out.
2. We had to go get a billirubeun test today to check her jaudince and while we were there we stopped in with the lactation consaltant and Izzy has lost even more weight. She was born weighing 6 lbs 5oz. Well today she was weighing 5 lbs 7 oz I feel horrible because her latch is awesome and she feeds like a champ.... It's just that I have low milk supply. No wonder my poor baby was wanting to feed every hour or even more last night
We decided to start taking blessed thistle and fenugrek (recommended by the consaltant) and also start suplimenting while feeding her. We attach a tube to formula, tape the tube to my breast and she feeds from that while she still stimulates my breast and gets what breast milk I"m producing.

Like I said I know it's nothing I've done or could have changed but just feeling like a crummy mom

mommy to Isabelle 9/28/07
mommylamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:09 AM   #2
My Mood:
Re: Grr low milk supply

Try eating oatmeal with some flaxseed. While I don't have a problem with supply I ate that the first two days home and actually had to stop eating it despite the fact that it tasted good because I was getting engorged way too easy.

And You're not a crummy mom. Things happen that you can't really control.
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote