Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-28-2006, 09:50 PM   #11
hollyhobby30
Registered Users
seller

Re: Homeschoolers~need advice on taking the leap!

Hi Sheila!

I was reading your posts about HSing in another thread and man what differences there are in Oregon and Washington HSing laws. Basically all we have to do is write a short letter to ESD within 10 days of withdrawing our kids to let them know we will be hsing and then they have to be tested at the end of 3rd, 5th, 8th and 10th (end of the year being Aug. 15th of that school year) They also give you an 18month grace period so if a child is taken out at the end of 4th grade (which is my dd) she wouldn't have to be tested until the end of her 8th grade year because the testing fell in that 18th month period. Pretty easy. Sounds like you have a bit more stuff to go through up north.

Sorry to get OT and thank for your input!!

Advertisement

hollyhobby30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 02:36 AM   #12
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Wow I just looked up Oregon, and you're right, your state is really pretty easy! And it still listed as "moderate" in regulations, I guess because you have to do testing. Not every year, though, like us. Very cool, that will make it easier for you to get started.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:25 PM   #13
amanda1188
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You CAN do it Holly! It will be the best thing you've ever done for your kids. It's so easy to get overwhelmed at first and to be scared about your kids not getting a proper education, but after awhile you realize that they WILL learn everything they need to. It may be at a faster or slower pace than the public school, but they will learn at their own pace and that makes it much more enjoyable for everyone. Nobody cares more about your kids education than you. My 18yo stepdd went from a p.s. 10th grader(we took her out of p.s. in the 10th grade when we got custody of her) who still had to add on her fingers, didn't know any multiplication tables and couldn't spell at all, to a homeschool graduate who has been accepted to college and wants to be a writer. It's really amazing to see such a dramatic improvement in a child, all because you took the time to help her learn what an overcrowded p.s. teacher didn't have the time to teach her.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:50 PM   #14
Christy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveblessings
You can do it, Holly!! I understand how you feel, my ds went to kindergarten and most of his first grade year. As soon as I took the course necessary to homeschool, I immediately took him out, and I've never regretted it.

Honestly, it takes sooo little time to keep your kids caught up, and even ahead of the game. Public school/private school has thirty or so kids in each class, so it's impossible to just move on once your child understands the concept. One on one tutoring is the most effective way for kids to learn, and that's exactly what homeschooling is.

We love homeschooling! I go to a local hs'ing group here and it goes all year long. Do you have anything like that there? That way your dd could meet new friends and you could try it out even before p.s. starts.