Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-08-2007, 09:40 AM   #1
Registered Users
Recommendations for a Newbie - Ring Sling?

I see alot of people asking for recommendations on this board for a type of carrier that will suit them but can't seem to get enough information to determine what would be right for me so I'm submitting my own post.

I'm petite - 5'0" and weigh ~110 lbs. DS is a peanut ~ 12 lbs. He prefers facing out so I don't think he'd do well in a back carrier. I have a BabyBjorn and he tolerates it but I don't think he's all that comfortable in it and it is a little cumbersome for me to have him in the front. I'm thinking a ring sling might be right for us... What do you all think? How do I determine the sizing? I see there are lots of fabric choices, pading options, etc. I'm a bit lost on the pros/cons of each.. If anyone could take the time to educate me a bit I'd appreciate it...

If you don't think a ring sling would be appropriate what do you suggest? Also, if you know of any mamas out there you would recommend to make a carrier for me I'd love to the recommendations. I want to support WAHMs! If you made it to the end of this post thanks and I appreciate your help...

Mom to Myles 4/1/07 - Declan 1/14/09 - Claire 6/6/13
llmangan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:24 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Recommendations for a Newbie - Ring Sling?

Try a wrap. My daughter likes to face out as well and I always just stick her in the moby! There is no need to size it and there are plenty of fabric choices. There is a little learning curve to it, but after a few times you will have it down. There are also other types of wraps besides moby's. What is great about wraps is you can hold your baby so many different ways in them! I could never get my baby to lay right in a sling and the Bjorn just plain hurt my back.
Those who dance are thought to be insane by those who can't hear the music.
I got the Swagbuck bug! JOIN ME!
Toby_99833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:52 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

I like wraps but I started after that "wanting to face out" stage so I don't have experience w/ facing out in them. I only had a ring sling then and it worked ok - I think the SBP slings at are pretty widely liked and there is a sizing page here

The ring sling I started with was an unpadded Maya Wrap and was a bit trickier to get the hang of than some other shoulder types IMO so I wouldn't recommend that one to a new ring-sling-wearer (the lightly padded Maya Wrap is easier FWIW.) I generally like an unpadded (or lightly padded like the MW or Ellaroo - not like the NoJo, too bulky for me) ring sling, with an open tail so that I could cover up if breastfeeding. I like the tail length to fall so that if there's a pocket it would be about where my pants pocket is (so, mid thigh or whatever.)
Bridget - mom to DS1 ('03) & DD ('05) & DS2 ('08)
no one in diapers anymore
i0lanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:57 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

If you are looking for a RS...I'm a WAHM that makes them. Check my feedback on I would say 72-74" long would be plenty for you.

ETA...Mine are unpadded and open tailed come in a variety of fabrics.
Karen Mom to Grace 5/13/05, Tori 4/9/08 and Milo 1/1/11
CATeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:29 PM   #5
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom&BabyNaturally
My Mood:

I would agree that a ring sling might work well for you...but have you considered a pouch? Sounds like that may suit well, too...a wrap would be a nice choice, maybe a woven, as stretchy wraps are generally for up to 15 or so pounds...some can use them longer, but thought I should mention that...
Take care,
Mommy to 5 Beautiful Blessings
Earn Money and Amazon GCs using Swagbucks
chpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:43 PM   #6
House of Blue
Registered Users

A pouch has never worked well for me b/c I felt they lacked the versatility and longjevity of use as a RS. I also prefer being able to 100% adjust a ring sling where I can't with a pouch... But that's just my preference.

I have owned 5 ring slings and tried on about 9 different brands. I would HIGHLY suggest an Ellaroo for a 1st sling b/c of it's simple learing curve. IT is by far my most comfortable and simple to use RS.

I'd highly suggest an Ellaroo if you are just starting out b/c of the following reasons.... 1st, it has a bit of padding in the shoulder but it still completely fans out to cup your shoulder completely for comfort. 2nd They have nice big rings, which combined with a slightly more narrow sling & slight padding on the rails.... Well, these details make for SUPER SUPER easy adjustment b/c you don't have to fight with heaps of fabric getting bunched in smaller rings and the slightly padded rails holds in the rings well for a sturdy stay-put adjustment.

Here is a pic of my Ellaroo Not a great pic but you can see by the pic it's a really simple, trim sling!

House of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:46 PM   #7
Registered Users
My Mood:

I think the lightly padded Maya wrap slings are the easiest to learn. They are foolproof- nothing to spread, just pop it on and go! You would want a small. I personally avoid slings with padded rails because they greatly limit how much you can adjust them (although I have heard that padded rails are helpful for newbies with newborns because they provide a bit of structure to the sling). Wraps are great too, especially if your baby likes facing out, but they are difficult to learn.

I LOVE my Maya LPs! I haven't tried Karen's slings, but I have heard nothing but rave reviews

Last edited by LandonsMama; 10-09-2007 at 05:48 PM.
LandonsMama is offline   Reply With Quote