Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2007, 11:29 AM   #1
challdorson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy dd's teeth are cutting me!

so dd is almost 11 months and still nurses a lot. now that her top front teeth are in, it seems that the more they come in the more painful it is to nurse.

shes not biting me really, but her teeth are just so sharp that when she nurses they scrap along the outside of my nipple, and it is so painful!

i have all of these super tiny razor sharp little cuts- and they take forever to heal since they reopen every times she nurses.

has this happened to anyone else???

Advertisement

Old 10-10-2007, 01:18 PM   #2
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: dd's teeth are cutting me!

DD has one top tooth (the left one if you are looking at her) and I have an open sore on my left nipple. I have found that certain positions work better than others, but I have also just been nursing through the pain. Its been about a week to a week and half and my wound is finally healing. We usually nurse craddle style during the day so what I have found is angling DD different positons helps her teeth to hit different parts of your nipple to provide some relief. It will get better!
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:00 PM   #3
peapiebaby
Registered Users

My Mood:

Um, yes?!!!! And going through it again now. (She was slow to teethe but boy did most of them come in fast.) I think this is payback for never having any soreness or pain in the beginning -- nothing until she started teething at 9, 10 mos.
She leaves indentions that scab. Not biting, just sharp.

The only relief I have found is the all-purpose nipple compound (aka mama's magic cream ) and Lily Padz (NOT cloth or disposable as those chafed the scabs/open wounds more) to keep everything off my very sore area.

I ran out of my cream and it has been heck this past week! But my grandfather was in the area today (he's a pharmacist and has his own pharmacy) and brought my refill. He's my hero. Sniff. They are already feeling better!

As I waited for my medical relief, I, too, found attempting to change positions a bit helpful but at 18 mos almost, DD knows how she wants to nurse. I'd be trying to move her and her little mouth comes swooping in latching on hard and fast and I thought I might die then. I just did some labor breathing!

Hope you heal soon! But seriously, that cream (Dr. Newman recommends it) is my miracle cream!
10% off 1st orders -- code mompack10 New HH OS instock! Home to Baby Kangas, Berry Plush, Thirsties, Melissa & Doug toys, pedipeds, Smart Mom teething bling, Yes! nursing bras, Expressiva nursing apparel & more!
peapiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:05 PM   #4
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller

Location: I'm only passing through here as my real home is in Heaven!
My Mood:

YES!!!! Both of my children were born with teeth so it's been trauma to my nipples. People say that maybe it's because the baby isn't l atched correctly but my LO's always were. For some reason they just always scraped me. Not only is it a pain while nursing but it burns a little while afterwards too!!
Old 10-11-2007, 08:59 PM   #5
challdorson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peapiebaby View Post

Hope you heal soon! But seriously, that cream (Dr. Newman recommends it) is my miracle cream!
so wait? whats the name of the cream???? i may need to get this!
Old 10-11-2007, 09:12 PM   #6
peapiebaby
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yes, you do! It has made a huge difference. I was just using bacitracin when I ran out and it did nothing!

My LC called it all-purpose nipple cream and had my CNM call it in. It has 3 main drugs in it.....

Ok: here is an excerpt from Newman:

“All purpose nipple ointment” (APNO)
This combination of 3 ingredients seems to help for many causes of sore nipples, including poor latch, Candida (yeast), dermatologic conditions, infections of the nipple with bacteria and possibly other causes as well. It is always good, however, to try to assure the best latch possible, because improving the latch helps with any cause of pain.

mupirocin 2% ointment (not cream): 15 grams.

betamethasone 0.1% ointment (not cream): 15 grams. If betamethasone ointment is unavailable, mometasone ointment (15 grams) can be used instead. It is better not to mix creams and ointments.

To which is added miconazole powder so that the final concentration is 2% miconazole. Sometimes it is helpful to add ibuprofen powder as well, so that the final concentration of ibuprofen is 2%.

This combination gives a total volume of approximately 30 grams. Clotrimazole powder to a final concentration of 2% may be substituted if miconazole powder is unavailable, but both exist (the pharmacist may have to order it in). I believe clotrimazole is not as good as miconazole, but I have no proof of that. Using powder gives a better concentration of antifungal agent (miconazole or clotrimazole) and the concentrations of the mupirocin and betamethasone remain higher.

The combination is applied sparingly after each feeding (except the feeding when the mother uses gentian violet). Do not wash or wipe it off, even if the pharmacist asks you to. In Canada, Kenacomb (easier to find) or Viaderm KC (less expensive) ointments (not cream) can be substituted for the above combination, but are distinctly inferior. I used to use nystatin ointment or miconazole cream (15 grams) as part of the mixture, and these work well, but I believe the use of powdered miconazole (or clotrimazole powder) gives better results.

Any pharmacist should be able to make up this ointment, but not all want to. Not all pharmacies carry all the ingredients. If you are having difficulties, ask the pharmacist for the nearest compounding pharmacy.
10% off 1st orders -- code mompack10 New HH OS instock! Home to Baby Kangas, Berry Plush, Thirsties, Melissa & Doug toys, pedipeds, Smart Mom teething bling, Yes! nursing bras, Expressiva nursing apparel & more!
peapiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote