Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2007, 01:46 PM   #1
mwaters7
Registered Users

Washing hemp

I am wondering if you are to wash/treat hemp diapers in some way to make them more absorbent. My friend lent me some of her little beetle hemp diapers and my boy pees once and it's soaking on the outside. i just wash them like my other cotton diapers (those can take 1 or 2 hrs before i feel the wetness on the exterior) and everything goes outside to dry in the sun. Now the hemp diapers do take longer to dry - so they are the fastest to get wet and the slowest to dry. Is hemp supposed to be like this? I'm really asking as I've been loving some of the pictures/raves about those sustainablebabyish hemp diapers but if they are just like these little beetles, then i will stick with my cotton.

Advertisement

mwaters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:53 PM   #2
Claire and Boys
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Washing hemp

I wonder if the diapers your friend lent you are new and not fully prepped? when you first get them you have to wash them quite a few times to get them up to max absorbency. Hemp is supposed to be more absorbent than cotton.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:07 PM   #3
mwaters7
Registered Users

i wash with dawn, does that make hemp diapers stripped and therefore not absorbent?
mwaters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:28 PM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I had to wash my hemps at least 5 times before they were more absorbent than my regular cotton. Now they're hands-down the most absorbent thing I have. I use LB regular hemps at night, even.

Crystal
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
mum2James&Julia
Registered Users
Formerly: mum2James&Bean
seller

My Mood:

I dunno... my dd has soaked right through every fitted or pf (even with a doubler) on the first pee. I just think she has awesome control for an (almost) 5 month old... she goes once every couple hours and it's a flood... maybe that's how your dc is too? That, or maybe the LB's aren't prepped enough like the pp's have said.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:48 PM   #6
finnleyjo
Registered Users

I would guess they aren't fully prepped. My LBs are really absorbant. I also fold the semi attached doubler forward so there is more absorbancy in front where my boys need it.

-amber
finnleyjo is offline   Reply With Quote