View Poll Results: Does it bug you when others use 'your' name?
Yes! 40 41.67%
No way! I don't mind sharing! 16 16.67%
I don't really care either way- 21 21.88%
Other- b/c there has to be one. 19 19.79%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2007, 11:01 AM   #41
Emilys2guppies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Just out of curiousity, does it bug you...

Doesn't bother me in the least...even if they are related.

Advertisement

Old 10-13-2007, 05:54 PM   #42
angelnavywife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I dont care, we like more traditional names so its bound to be repeated, but I chose other because DH's cousin was pregnant when we were with #2 and asked, have you picked a name? And so we told them our choices, and they said well you better hope your baby comes first or we are using those!
They did! Used the name DH liked for a girl (but I nixed) on their first and took our boys name for their next baby (we ended up changing our mind and switching our son's name so their child's name is our sons' middle name)
so in their instance where they made a BIG deal about purposely "stealing" from us I cared, anyone else, its fine
angelnavywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:37 PM   #43
xDanielax
Registered Users

My Mood:

I voted yes..but it also depends on what kind of name it is. If its a common name like Michael,Joseph,Nick,David I wouldnt mind as bad but it also depends on who. Anybody close to me I would be kinda mad.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:20 PM   #44
tmfletch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No- names aren't copyrighted.
tmfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 03:17 PM   #45
mommysings3
Registered Users
seller

I voted "other" because I'm kind of in the middle. We don't tell anyone (I mean NOBODY) until the baby is here but everyone tries to get us to tell them. The main reason we don't tell is that we pick very unusual names and when we told with our first one we got a lot of flack as to how terrible it would be for our daughter to grow up with the name Ophelia. We never told again. Our family now knows not to even ask beyond "have you selected a name yet?" They know we're not going to tell them what it is! LOL! When I'm pregnant I would be annoyed that someone picked the same name as us (not that they could know) but that's really hypothetical since it's never happened. I am really annoyed that I just learned of a new band with the same name that we've picked for this baby and that it was used in a fairly recent film! But I think I can get over that.

We have had one of our names used after the birth however. Our second DD was born the same day my grandmother died and I was very close to her so we added her last name to our baby's name as a second middle name. My parents got a dog a few years later and named him the same name. My sis was expecting her first then and was furious because she had decided that if it was a boy she was going to name him the same name but she had a girl. Ironically, two years later she had a boy and did name him the same name so my dd has it as a middle name, my parents have a dog with it as a first name, and my nephew has it as his first name! All in all I would say we did indeed honor my grandmother!

So in a way it doesn't bother me, I don't own the names I choose for my children yet I want them to be the only ones with the name that I know of when they are born. After that I don't care so much. As of yet we've only heard of people that have any of our dd's names (usually somebody's grandparent or something!) but I would be honored if someone liked our names so much they wanted to name their child after one of ours.

Wow, didn't mean to write a book here!
Jessica, just an every day rebel, Doula, midwife student, writer, homeschooling WAHM to 4, soon to be 5 girls- O- 10, L- 8, H- 6, E- 21 months, and V due 01.14.09 IDSO any Elliebelly colorway on any base.
mommysings3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 03:59 PM   #46
OrangeBananas
Registered Users
Formerly: Savannah+6
seller
seller

Normally I would say no, but my ex decided to name there son the same name as my middle son, a couple months after he was born. I named him what I did because I didn't want him to be a double in a classroom, and now he will have someone just a couple months younger with the same name

OrangeBananas is offline   Reply With Quote