Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-31-2006, 06:17 PM   #11
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: School worries...

Just so everyone knows...
I did not post this to be a my kid is smarter than your kid post.
i posted this looking for support. not ppl trying to cut me down.
Some ppl just know when they have a smart kid. she is book smart. she does lack common sense,which is common of those who are book smart. ( my uncle could be on jeopardy and be wonderful there, but lackscommon sence.
Common sense is not something that willbe taught in kindergarten, or any othergrade for that matter..

Seriously I though i would not be alone in this. I didnt realize I was aparently doing wrong by my kids, by trying to push her up a grade. when our school districts as a whole (i mean the US) all suck!! the kdisare undereduicted. adn the no child left behind act, also means, no child put ahead.It sucks. I dont want my kid to be held back, becasue hse is smart. and i dont want her getting in trouble, becaseu she is bored..

But i guess i am an overprotective mom, who obviously thinks too highly of her kid. soooo ummmm.. nevermind....

Advertisement

Old 07-31-2006, 06:29 PM   #12
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing_butt_cloth
Can i ask what your school district is?? I am in peoria. which is a top ranked school district, but they have to followlaws about ELL.

The closest district to me is washington, which has major issues IMO. If my choice was washington or nothing. it would be nothing...
I like "Abe Lincoln traditional school" (I think that is the name of it) One of my day care parents works there. It may be a better choice.

Sunburst elementary is pretty good too. (Peoria)

ROTFLMAO!! It is Peoria. (I love Peoria) To be honest though, we recently moved into the Deer Valley district, and I am not all all happy with this district. In seventh grade, she was behind on a project that was due the next day. I looked at the assignment, and said, "You did this in fifth grade, I think it is still in my computer" I let her turn it in because she had a HUGE band feild trip the next day, and I am so disgusted with this school that I didn't even care. In fifth grade, she got a B. In seventh grade, with the same exact paper (Jordyn changed the teacher's name and the date) she got an A+ and a nice comment on the top. LOL. Deer Valley has NOT sent her test scores (for the AP classes) to me yet. So, I don't know if she is in advanced placement or not.

(I know, bad mommy)

But Her school.....No fun was had at all. She had no less than two hours of homework every night including Friday. The homework ordeal started in third grade. In fourth grade, I seriously complained. My daugter was in Dance, and the teacher suggested that homework should come before dance. To a point, sure! But this was just busy work. I have no problems with projects or REAL work, but a sheet with 100 math problems is just busywork. I want my child to have other things in her life too. SHe had to drop AWANA because she couldn't keep up with the work.

Her school was in the far Northwest valley. *I* went to Kachina (also in Peoria) and it was the worst school I had ever attended. I hope it has improved.

Even with all the hard work.... I SOOOOOO miss the Peoria district. You have no idea.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:33 PM   #13
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
No little girl or boy should be walking alone outside. I know i cant bethe oNLY one who feels this way.... If i find out that the school is sending 5 and 6 yos off by themselves. I will pull er out of school.
If it's an older Breezeway school, then she would have to have a buddy walk with her to the office. They are probably sent to the bathroom alone, which is also outside. I would think that there are gates at the entrances that are closed though. The schools out here are pretty good about keeping people out.

Jordyns school is a fortress LOL. Nobody comes in without being seen at the front office. (Ive tried)
Old 07-31-2006, 06:39 PM   #14
Carrie
Registered Users

Oh I don't think there's any way you will screw her up. It sounds like you've done great so far. If she is too advanced for kg, they will move her. It isn't pleasant for the teacher or the other kids or the student to have a student in the class who is well ahead and doesn't fit in. I understand your language concerns, but at that age children learn English very quickly. A child who doesn't no a word of English on day 1 will be fluent in a matter of weeks or months. This is why they aren't allowed to be segregated. My mom is a pre-K teacher and her day is packed with activities. I doubt any of the kids are ever bored for long, but if she is, I think they will move her. And I think it is fair that they wait a few weeks for the testing, because the teacher will need some time to evaluate. I really think this will turn out for the best.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:44 PM   #15
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

I didn't see anyone cutting you down at all, I dont' think that is anyone's intent. I was going to suggest maybe the gifted kindergarten, but you didn't respond to my request to tell us more about it. If she can still be in the same age group, but be more challenged, that might be the best option.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:49 PM   #16
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
I was going to suggest maybe the gifted kindergarten, but you didn't respond to my request to tell us more about it. If she can still be in the same age group, but be more challenged, that might be the best option.
But, now that I know what district she is in, I don't think there IS a gifted Kindergarten. They have a little pull out program that some of the kids get into for a short time of day, and they do special and very cool projects.

There is a gifted school in the district. It is amazing. One of my daughter's classmate went to it. SHe left our school, never to be seen again LOL. They go on great feild trips, it is all hands on, and they are doing such cool things in that, but it doesn't start until second grade. So, she still has to go through Kindergarten and first grade.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:01 PM   #17
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage
But, now that I know what district she is in, I don't think there IS a gifted Kindergarten. They have a little pull out program that some of the kids get into for a short time of day, and they do special and very cool projects.

There is a gifted school in the district. It is amazing. One of my daughter's classmate went to it. SHe left our school, never to be seen again LOL. They go on great feild trips, it is all hands on, and they are doing such cool things in that, but it doesn't start until second grade. So, she still has to go through Kindergarten and first grade.
ohh I see. Well, as others have pointed out, perhaps she will still really enjoy the social aspects of it. Kindergarten is pretty fun, I think.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:10 PM   #18
stephdpn
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Just so everyone knows...
I did not post this to be a my kid is smarter than your kid post.
i posted this looking for support. not ppl trying to cut me down.
Some ppl just know when they have a smart kid. she is book smart. she does lack common sense,which is common of those who are book smart. ( my uncle could be on jeopardy and be wonderful there, but lackscommon sence.
Common sense is not something that willbe taught in kindergarten, or any othergrade for that matter..

Seriously I though i would not be alone in this. I didnt realize I was aparently doing wrong by my kids, by trying to push her up a grade. when our school districts as a whole (i mean the US) all suck!! the kdisare undereduicted. adn the no child left behind act, also means, no child put ahead.It sucks. I dont want my kid to be held back, becasue hse is smart. and i dont want her getting in trouble, becaseu she is bored..

But i guess i am an overprotective mom, who obviously thinks too highly of her kid. soooo ummmm.. nevermind....

I was in NO way trying to put you down, I even said so in my post. I was agreeing with what you said about having her tested, so she would have the best possible placement. I was just trying to give an educator's point of view. I DO believe some kids are very gifted and can benefit from an advanced education.

I also do not believe that all schools in the US "suck." I am a product of those schools (like lots of mamas) and I got a great education, went on to college on a full scholarship and graduated college magna *** laude. My kids will attend school in the same district I did. If you truly don't like the school system, continue to homeschool. There are so many resources to use and you can teach to your daughter's ability then, regardless of her age.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:35 PM   #19
kpapple
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well this is my expierence with kindergarten. My son is six and is going into 1st grade this year. Going into kindergarten here in Memphis is all day too. 9-4. So 8-2 is not all that bad. He was reading and writing before kindergarten and I knew that he would do well in school. Not once did he come home bored but instead tired from a full day of learning. As the school year progressed his teacher told me that he was the class helper and would tutor the other kids if he finished his work early. They also deal with more than just reading and writing. They had math and science and much more. There is also somthing to be said about the relationships that they build with their classmates. That is a learning expierence all by itself. He was involved in an accerlated reader program and did great with that. He finished the year happy and ready for 1st grade. He made a lot of friends and never once did not like school. I helped out at the school a lot and in his class. While in the begining it was hard for me to send him to school- homeschooling is not for me. I applaud the Mom's that do it. Plus I was having a baby and I knew that I could not totally give him what he needed with the baby coming. Yes he goes to a public school, it is a good school and I am not sure that even if we could afford private that we would have done things differently. Not all public school is bad. We are a christian family and we are very active in our church, he learns from church and from us about the bible. We have also taught him that it is ok to say the blessing at the lunch table. So anyway- after praying about it we had a peace about sending him to school. I would not do it any other way for our family. You have to do what you think is right. If you don't feel right that homeschool her. But the school may surprise you and she may do just fine and be happy. Good luck in whatever you decide!
Old 08-02-2006, 01:59 AM   #20
SoftBumBaby
Registered Users

Awwwwwww. I feel bad for you. My middle DS is three years old and will be starting preschool in our school district in about three more weeks. He will be going five days a week, three hours a day WITHOUT ME and I am getting the hibbie hibbie shakes over it. I just can not for the life of me picture this. (OTOH, my son is delayed but still...I understand.)

Another thing. I know you felt a lot of people were tearing you down. I do know what you're saying but here's what happened with my oldest DS (I'll make this brief). He was writing his name and reading simple books at the age of 3.5. He actually read before he potty trained, believe it or not. I tested him on his reading by giving him books he'd never seen before, since some children do a really good imitation of "reading" that's actually memorization. Well...he was reading. For real. Holy cow. (He had a GREAT preschool.) He knew numbers and rudimentary math (basically just counting lower numbers). His vocabulary was astonishing. Perfect strangers would stop on the street to listen to him talk to me because they couldn't believe what was coming out of this tiny little kid's mouth.

The first time he wrote his name, it was on his bedspread. Aghhhhhhhhh! (That's a situation where you're not sure whether you're supposed to praise or punish! I praised.) Well...he started writing it EVERYWHERE. On walls...everywhere. No matter how many times I told him not to, and explained why not, and showed him how much work it was to re-paint, etc.

Here's the thing. He was *smart enough* for kindergarten by age 3.5 at the latest. But he was *not mature enough* even when he did start--which was at age 5. (He has a summer birthday.)

With most children learning at least the alphabet, colors and rudamentary math in preschool or daycare nowadays, I don't think the thrust of kindergarten is really academics, but socialization. My son wasn't a rocket scientist--he was just a child of his times, taught earlier than I would have been, or my mother would have been. I have no doubt that your little girl is smart--she sounds like a whip. BUT it's more than that when it comes to school. I personally feel kindergarten is a really important step for kids. Probably not every parent feels this way, and of course it also depends upon how your own school district is, but as I said, I would never have tried to get Joey into kindergarten at age 3 or even age 4...and I would not have tried to get him into 1st or 2nd grade when he was 5. So that's just my personal take on it.

If your DD is very mature for her age, it might be different for you. So, I was just throwing my own experiences out there.

Oh, and FWIW, my DS today is 20 years old and very smart, but he's not out winning the Nobel Laureate or anything like that. I think some very young kids are behind a little, and some are ahead a little, but most (unless they have a condition or extenuating circumstance) pretty much even out academically by middle school or thereabouts. Good luck with your decision!

Autism Every Day
SoftBumBaby is offline   Reply With Quote