Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-03-2006, 10:44 PM   #11
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need sleep advice for 4 month old

As far as swaddling goes what worked for the little boy that I watched was to use a sheet. It was folded so that it wasn't very big top to bottom (about as long as the baby, with some room to hang down after the feet) but long from side to side and we swaddled with that. On hot days it was just the diaper and the sheet. It worked really, really well. In fact, when I stopped watching him he was 8 months and he was still swaddled sometimes (technically this is a no, no - so use caution once your daughter is mobile).

I also recommend the book "No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley. I am wishing I would have read this book when my daugther was a infant. She did not start sleeping through the night until I night weaned her at 16 months. Before she would wake every hour or so - and yes, there was a period when she couldn't sleep at all if I wasn't there. I haven't finished the book yet but so far i really like it.

Jessica

Quote:
Originally Posted by splotchy1
So good to hear others are having the same issue!!! (Not happy you are having the probolem, but so happy I'm not alone!)
I started trying to swaddle her again, but the newborn swaddling blankets I have don't fit her anymore, and I'm just not good at doing it tight with a regular blanket. Plus, it's been so hot here!
Are there any swaddling blankets/tools out there that work for a bigger child than a newborn???
Ellen

Advertisement

camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:48 PM   #12
shell015
Banned
seller

I just thought of something that works for Brintson the the holding dept. We put him in his Boppy Pillow and it works like a charm. If you haven't tried that see if it helps.
shell015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:58 AM   #13
halyled
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by splotchy1
So good to hear others are having the same issue!!! (Not happy you are having the probolem, but so happy I'm not alone!)
I started trying to swaddle her again, but the newborn swaddling blankets I have don't fit her anymore, and I'm just not good at doing it tight with a regular blanket. Plus, it's been so hot here!
Are there any swaddling blankets/tools out there that work for a bigger child than a newborn???
Ellen
I bought an "amazing miracle blanket" ( http://www.miracleblanket.com/index.htm) when DS was about 3 months old, I think. It's funny shaped, kind of a weird triangle with rounded corners. It has a pocket for the feet to fit in, and there are flaps that are attached to the inside of the blanket. The way it works is that you lay the baby in the blanket between the flaps, fold one flap over his arm then tuck the end under his back, then fold the other flap over the other arm and under his back. Baby's feet are tucked into the pocket at the bottom. Then the right side of the blanket is folded over baby's tummy and tucked under the back, and the left side, which is longer, wraps all the way around the baby's tummy and then under his back, then is long enough to wrap around tummy and under the back again, effectively swaddling baby. My mom called it the baby straight jacket, but it WORKED. He slept from then on at least an hour at a time during the day (sometimes up to 2) and 5-6 hours at a time at night, if not more. The only problem is, they only recommend using it til 16 weeks, I think. We used it until he was about 5 months old, until he was just too long for it.

Now that he's outgrown it, I try to duplicate the effect by folding one blanket into a right triangle, laying him on top of it with the flat edge just under his shoulders, a corner out to either side of him and a corner at his feet. I wrap each corner over an arm and then under his back. Then I take another blanket, one of the longer ones I got from the hospital with the pink and blue stripes, and lay it on top of him, then tuck the ends around him and under his back. It works pretty well, although since there is no pocket he can wriggle his way out of this eventually...but if he's drowsy anyway it works to soothe him to sleep and keep him from twitching/rubbing his face and waking up. I will admit...this is probably not the safest method. When he wakes up I have to get him promptly or he will kick and scoot himself down the bed so that the outer layer of blanket gets bunched up around his shoulders. But it has worked for us.

I'm thinking of trying to sew a similar blanket with the foot pocket so it will fit him and he can't bunch the blankets up.

halyled is offline   Reply With Quote