Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-22-2007, 11:03 AM   #21
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Re: new recall on all presc. for colds for infants

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sons View Post
More than likely he's asleep because of the amount of alcohol that's in the med. That's why Nyquil puts you to sleep. Not because it has helped your symptoms but because of the level of alcohol in the meds. NOT good for a little child.
There is no alcohol in children's tylenol cough and cold formula. It's made for kid's so doesn't have alcohol, just like regular children's tylenol. My husband is a recovering alcoholic and we have no alcohol, not even mouthwash, in our house. Just thought I would clarify that. I would never give a child anything with alcohol in it.

Advertisement

Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:40 AM   #22
taximom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have never given my little ones cold medicines. If their bodies learn to fight off colds by themselves they will be healthier. If their bodies rely on meds to fight colds then their immune system will not get learn to fight things off and in the long run they will be sicker. Hope that makes sense.
taximom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:44 PM   #23
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukawww View Post
So when do we trust doctors and when don't we??? They don't know what they are talking about when it comes to vaccines, but with cold medicine, all of a sudden, they are geniuses??? I am not being snarky (really, I am so confused and confuddled right now about vaxing, it isn't even funny), I just really don't understand how you could be against vax'ing when every group of doctor supports it, but defending them when they support this silly cold med recall...please help me!!!
I'm sorry but you did come off as snarky. I tend to trust dr's more when they tell me something like a med is dangerous because they don't make money that way. I also trust the AAFP further than I trust the AAP because they tend to take more cautious stances on things and do more research. The simple fact is all meds have side effects. Any chemical you put in your or your child's body has side effects. If study after study shows that a certain med does nothing for you then you are risking side effects for nothing. You don't need a group of Dr's to tell you that. And the fact is what do they have to gain by telling you not to use over the counter cold meds? Sure you could argue that then you have to make a DR visit, but they will go on to tell you that you shouldn't be treating your child at all for the common cold, that nothing works. So wheres the motivation on their part? There have been more studies on wether or not cold meds actually work (as well as other cold remedies) than on wether or not vaxes work. However there has not been a test on wether these over the counter meds are safe to give to small children. Very similar to vaxes actually. If I'm not going to inject somethign that isn't proven safe I am certainly not going to go out and buy something to give them that hasn't been proven safe. And if I am doubtful about when the DR's say vaxes are safe and am cautious about giving them why in the world would I administer something that they have told me not only doesn't work but is dangerous.

What I really want to know is why people who trust DR's 100% about vaxes suddenly don't trust them when it comes to wether or not they should be giving their kids cold medicine? Really seems like a better question to me. The AAP and FDA are infallible when it comes to telling us vaxes are safe, but they are somehow confused about over the counter cold remedies.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:28 AM   #24
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Nope, not meaning to be snarky...swear. I am really curious about your logic. Especially cause I'm knee deep in the vax research AND I know for a FACT that certain OTC medicines do relieve some of the symptoms of my kid's when they are sick...I never thought they were there to help fight the illness, just to make them more comfortable in the mean time (and a crying baby is a mucous-producing fool which usually just exacerbates the situation). So, they can have their research...but with my kids, they work (and I have found some that don't...we stick to the ones that do) and no doctor can tell me they don't...even with all their mighty research. Which is why I ask again, vax's were made to help rid the public of epidemics (At least they were in my cute little soft, cuddly bubble until recently)...so I don't think my doctor is purposefully trying to harm my children - that would be against the hypocratic oathe, right? I know I don't WANT to give my 3rd baby any of those nasty vax's, but I am really worried that I am setting her up to become violently ill if I don't (at least for now...she is almost 3 months old and has yet to be poked with nastiness). So, at this point, I just don't get how you could be protective of what 'doctor's say' when it comes to medicines that CLEARLY work in my kid's but they are completely clueless and selfish on the other hand when it comes to preventing worldwide pandemics.

And for the record, I have never made a sick visit without leaving with a prescription (don't always use them). Maybe I just picked a really crappy co-op of peds that DO like to make money off of Dr's visits MORE than helping kids...I don't know. I certainly like them as a whole.
DS WAHM thread
Bukawww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:59 PM   #25
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ok it's like this, all meds are studied by the company that makes them. Wether they be vaxes or tylenol cold and sinus meds. The first studies on safety and efficacy are done by their manufacturers. In alot of cases (I hate to say most and sound like a conspiracy theorist or anything, but there is mounting evidence to these facts) they are tested on children who are healthy (children with any possible chance of illness are left out of studies even though these meds may be used on children with say heart disease in the future) and often children who are older than the meds or vacc are actually intended to be used on (rotovax for example was tested on 4yr olds when it's intended usage was in infants 2, 4, and 6 months old). Then they take their info to the FDA and say here it is, this is safe and effective. Now the FDA should be taking a very hard look at all of this, and they should notice things like abnormally large numbers of people being dropped from a study, or that it was not tested as safe for children under a certain age but is being reccomended for those children, but they just don't seem to be doing so. In fact many of the people sitting on advisary and over sight commisions own pattents on the very drugs they are ruling as safe or unsafe, or on other drugs that possibly these particular patent holders could be on the committees for with kind of a you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours sort of thing going on. And in other cases bribes are involved in the form of campaign contributions. Anyway it has become obvious that we can't necessarily trust the FDA to make sure drugs will infact be safe for us and our children.

So then you ask who do we trust. And why do I say it is a big deal for the AAP or the AAFP to tell you a drug isnt' safe? WHen you look at the AAP or the AAFP they aren't conducting their own research on vaxes, or not very often. They take the FDA's word that something is safe. Your DR isn't out to hurt your child by giving them vaxes, they are just doing what they have been taught is best. They are not out there doing the research. The AAP or AAFP or whoever starts doing studies when they notice something wrong. Like they see a trend of children being treated for overdoses and drug toxicities. Then they look into it and they see that these drugs weren't tested for safety and efficacy in children under 10. So they do their own studies and find that hey these drugs aren't safe. So that is why I trust this over their vaccine recomendations, because they are actually doing the studies, not just regurgitating what the pharma companies told them.

As far as efficacy goes, yeah tylenol works. Even if the cold stuff in it doesn't the tylenol itself is going to do something. Keep in mind that it isn't just DR's groups doing efficacy testing, every year there is another study on the efficacy of over the counter cold meds by independant marketing and consumer groups and every single year the results are the same. The only thing that works for the common cold is time. There are a few things that lessen symptoms, but nothing cures it. And for lessening symptoms non medical treatments have been found to be as effective if not more so. If the child has a fever then the tylenol is going to help, but for the other symptoms vaporizers, warm compresses, saline sprays, vitamin c and rest are more effective than the over the counter remedies. IT isn't just the DR's groups, ever single study says the same thing. There may be a handful of decongestants that are available for children over the counter that have some effect, but you have to take the time to think about if the bennefits outweigh the risk. Any drug you put in your child's body, wether it is prescription, over the counter, or a vaccine will have some reaction. There are risks to all of them, even something so seemingly benign as tylenol has risks. So you have to ask yourself if the small chance that this might help lessen a single symptom for an hour or two is worth the very real risks of these drugs. In the case of these particular meds every DR's group so far says no, consumer studies say no. But it really is up to you. If they take them off the market cause they aren't safe you can rest assured that they had a very good reason to do so. The FDA is notorious for waiting until it is way too late to recall drugs. They do not want to admit that anything they passed might not be safe, but sometimes they aren't. I am not saying I trust these Dr's groups to always do the right thing, but when they start admitting that a drug isn't safe, that is really saying something. Because they hate to admit that they could have been wrong in the first place.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:12 AM   #26
ypperin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taximom View Post
I have never given my little ones cold medicines. If their bodies learn to fight off colds by themselves they will be healthier. If their bodies rely on meds to fight colds then their immune system will not get learn to fight things off and in the long run they will be sicker. Hope that makes sense.
Cold meds are not antibiotics and don't actually treat the "virus" but the side effects.

Take dristan for adults (just cause it's an easy comparison) If you use it, you won't be stuffed up, it works It does NOT cure your cold, it alleviates your symptoms.

Antihystamine blockers stop you from sneezing, watery eyes, stuffed up nose - it's proven that it works - heck it works for me.

I've been lucky *knock on wood* I haven't had a child under the age of two with a cold..... and all the infant cold meds I've seen here in Canada have dosage guidelines set out by weight right there on the sticker on the package....

I don't agree with not assisting the symptoms if they are bad enough - how do you feel in the middle of the night when you are sooooo very badly stuffed up that you can't breathe or are coughing constantly? And I don't think it's fair that parents be forced to pay a doctor whatever charge they charge you in the states for a medication that you as a parent should be capable of distributing responsibly.

Does the government genuinely think that the average american parent is incapable of assessing bad cold symptoms and administering by weight? Talk about insulting!

What's worse, is those parents who cannot afford to see a doctor (there are a few) will give adult meds, or worse administering homeopathic/herbal meds because "they can't hurt you or your child, they are all natural." Don't get me wrong, I am married to an herbologist, I understand the place for homeopathy and herbology, but to someone who is just starting to delve into this world to save a couple bucks because they can't afford a doc's visit could seriously harm their child all based on "advice."

Sounds like russian roulette to me....
Old 10-25-2007, 10:38 PM   #27
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

SHannon, thank you for taking the time to type all of that up...thats a lot to think about.

The only other thing is that I think the drugs were recalled voluntarily by the manufacturers, not because they have been PROVEN unsafe, right?

Anyway, I'd love to pick your brain on vax's...my LO is almost 3 months old and I have yet to take her to the doc cause I haven't found my cajones yet...
DS WAHM thread
Bukawww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:15 PM   #28
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would think that these meds are not being given in big enough doses to be effective and you can't do research on kids, just like most meds are probably fine for pg women to take but noone can ethically do the research.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:47 PM   #29
MyLil'Mountaineers
Registered Users
Formerly: my2sons
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyfrog View Post
There is no alcohol in children's tylenol cough and cold formula. It's made for kid's so doesn't have alcohol, just like regular children's tylenol. My husband is a recovering alcoholic and we have no alcohol, not even mouthwash, in our house. Just thought I would clarify that. I would never give a child anything with alcohol in it.
Mama, I'm sorry!! I didn't mean to come off as accusing or assuming.

Children's Tylenol cough and cold has tylenol in it. You know how tylenol makes kids sleepy? That's why he is sleeping. The tylenol just numbed the symptoms enough so that he would sleep. It works just like giving tylenol when teething. It doesn't actually make the symptoms go away, it just numbs them for awhile. That's why you have to keep medicating. You would have the same effect if you just gave him tylenol. Only you wouldn't be over medicating with stuff that doesn't actually work.

Last edited by MyLil'Mountaineers; 10-26-2007 at 07:52 PM.
MyLil'Mountaineers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:21 PM   #30
RockinClothBunz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can still use tylenol and motrin. My ped has always been against any other over-the-counter meds because she has always said they shouldn't even be allowed to sell them since they aren't safe.
Auntie to Trentin 5-31-09
RockinClothBunz is offline   Reply With Quote