Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2007, 01:58 PM   #1
Mickiswing
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Kids sharing a room - HELP!

I have three kids and a baby due in about three weeks. My girls, Evie (4 yrs) and Charlie (2 yrs) had their own rooms until about three weeks ago. They originally shared a room, until Charlie needed to learn to sleep in a big bed and wouldn't stay out of Evie's. We just moved them back in together about two weeks ago because we needed Charlie's room for the new baby stuff like the changing table, rocking chair, clothes, etc. The baby will be sleeping in our room for as long as it works, but we needed the space for the other "stuff". I really want the girls in the same room eventually.

So we set the girls up with Evie on the top bunk (fully enclosed) and Charlie on the bottom. Until yesterday Charlie couldn't get up to the top. Now she can. Grrr. Which means 1) danger and 2) she won't leave Evie alone and neither of them will sleep. I really don't want to have to move all the furniture and everything again and I was really counting on having Charlie's old room for the baby.

So now we're planning on taking down the bunks and just use them as two twins. Problem is, Charlie will NOT leave Evie alone. If she's awake, she'll smother Evie at any chance she gets. My DH has been sitting in their room every night until they go to sleep but we don't want to have to keep doing that forever and Charlie's not showing any sign of being less annoying to her siblings. (She's a natural tease.) They do get along okay, but Charlie just loves to bug, so it doesn't last long before someone's screaming and then gets bopped. (By a sibling, not DH or myself.)

I tried putting a pack 'n play in their room today for Charlie to nap in but she climbed out. So that's out of the question. Besides, I really think she needs to be in a regular bed. And she likes being in a regular bed. She just doesn't seem to get or accept the natural consequences yet.

The only other thing I can think of is putting the toddler bed back in the baby's room. But again, that presents a problem. I can guarantee that Charlie will be out of bed, pulling all the clothes and diapers off the changing table and climbing on it at every chance. And, if the baby is like my first three, he won't co-sleep or even sleep in a crib in our room for more than a couple months, and I just don't trust her alone in a room with him, even if he's in a crib. She's a climber.

There was a brief moment where I considered putting a mattress on my bedroom floor for Charlie, but DH is adamantly against it. He feels it's our own space (I tend to agree on this point) and once they're old enough, they need to respect that. Plus, it's not babyproofed and the rest of the house is. For the most part.

Is there any hope here? This is driving me crazy and I can't afford to loose any more sleep at the moment. I would really love any suggestions you have!!!

TIA,
Micki

Advertisement

Old 10-26-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
kaspears17
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Kids sharing a room - HELP!

I would put the new baby and Evie in a room and give Charlie her own room so she doesn't have anybody to bother.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:06 PM   #3
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I would suggest putting the younger to bed first. If she is asleep when her big sister goes to bed, she won't be up bothering her. We did that for awhile when our oldest two were sharing a room. After awhile it wasn't as big a deal because the sharing of the room wasn't new anymore.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:07 PM   #4
3Xblessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How old are charlie and evie?
Old 10-26-2007, 02:13 PM   #5
Mickiswing
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

These are all great ideas! I'll have to share with Dh when he gets home tonight.

Evie is 4 yrs and Charlie is 28 months.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:31 PM   #6
fsufan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I co-sleep with all my boys who are 3 and 4 yrs old and my 18 months old has her bed in my room. ( she won't sleep unless she's in her own bed)
My room is Huge so it doesn't bother us at all.

My boys have their own room but we LOVE co-sleeping.

I'd say put a bed in their for her to sleep in your room. Or give her her own room and let the baby and other sibling share a room.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:02 PM   #7
rae_g
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
I would suggest putting the younger to bed first. If she is asleep when her big sister goes to bed, she won't be up bothering her. We did that for awhile when our oldest two were sharing a room. After awhile it wasn't as big a deal because the sharing of the room wasn't new anymore.
Works great with our two. Granted, DS is still in a crib and can't get out, but it even helps DD settle down to sleep when we tell her she has to be quiet because her brother is sleeping.
Rachel- Mama to 2 Big Kids and #3 Coming Soon!
rae_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:30 PM   #8
falcon2
Registered Users
seller

I have a 5 year old dd and a 22 mo old ds--and another (dd) due in a few weeks. So we are doing all that arranging and figuring out too.
We have our dd and ds in the same room now, and it only works having them in the same room now because he (22 mo ds) is still confined to his crib (I cant figure out why he has not climbed out yet--he is a HUGE climber)....I am certain that if he were in a regular bed he would NOT stay in it for anything, and if he had access to his sister he'd be jumping all over her too. So, I am keeping him in his crib for as long as it is possible! We usually put them to bed at the same time, plop ds in the crib and dd in her bed and leave, no big deal. If he were in his own big bed though, I would definately stagger it so he was going to bed earlier and as soon as he fell asleep I'd get dd up there too and quiet.
IN the recent past we had dd sleeping on a mattress on the floor of our room, which was fine really (we have a guest room too so not a problem as far as intimacy or whatever). But I did have problems with dd being too controlling and clingy about being without us, so we transitioned her to being back with her brother because I wanted her to become a little more independent and have our own space back. I like my space....Also, with the new baby, we needed things to be streamlined.
Good luck!
Old 10-29-2007, 12:10 PM   #9
Mickiswing
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks so much for all the help. It's funny how there can be such simple solutions, but when it's up to you, sometimes you just can't figure it out

We dismantled the beds this weekend and put Evie, the older dd's, bed in the baby's room. The last two nights have been so much better. Charlie does get out of bed a couple times, but we fully expect that and they've both woken up much more rested. So have DH and I, LOL.

So thanks again! You've solved our problem
Old 10-29-2007, 12:46 PM   #10
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post

Yes, this worked for us too. When my bff had trouble with her boys, she put the two year old back in the crib and bought a crib tent with a zipper to keep him in. I also used our pack and play as danny's "Crib" in our bedroom, still do. You have that as an option for the baby in his room till she's mature enough to be out of the crib.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 10-29-2007 at 12:48 PM.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote