View Poll Results: Can a baby be spoiled by being held too much? (Please read thread)
YES 11 7.97%
NO 121 87.68%
OTHER (PLEASE EXPLAIN) 6 4.35%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2007, 08:07 PM   #51
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you think a baby can be spoiled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlymom View Post
He is only 5 months old.

Three words come to mind...and are VERY typical...

#1. Teething
#2 & #3. Growth Spurt

Teething can go on for months before the first teeth erupt...like 4-5 months or more. He is also of age for a growth spurt, and that time frame with nursing can last a few weeks.

Have ya tried Hylands teething tablets to see if that soothes anything.

Hang in there mama. He's too little to let him CIO. Once you stop stressing, it will make a huge difference. If you can find a way for this not to upset or bother you, you'll be able to cope much better and so will baby.

I do not agree that babies can be spoiled. They cry for a reason when they are that little, for a need that needs to be met. And, typically, it's just mama who can fill that need.

Advertisement

Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:32 AM   #52
lirumlarum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also think that, in general, babies cannot be spoild by tending tio their needs. My dd#2 ( the fourth of our five kids) cried non-stop it seems for the first six month of her life, a very pircing high pitched scream which just about drove us insane. Then she stopped crying and has ben the most independant, busy and happy child since then. She's also extremly bright , so I think that maybe her senses were just very easily over stimulated and she could just not come to rest in our busy house. On the other hand, she would also not go to slep without a very elaborate bed time ritual, nursing half through the night etc.,so, when I was pregnant again and having to deal with a demanding special needs toddler and two young children on top of that, I decided that for the sake of my family and of my sanity, I couldn't do it anymore. So I let het cio one night, it was extremly hard and I never thought that I would do that, but it only took one night and she is my best sleeper since. So: go with your gut instinct, keep your sanity intact, and remember that this will be over soon, it is only a shopt period of your LO life.
Also, everything is more bearable in the great outdors IMO, put him in a carrier and go for a brisk walk, the exercise and fresh air will make you happier and him most likely too!
Old 10-30-2007, 05:33 AM   #53
MamaZelly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, Mama! I'm so sorry. I had one of these, too. His name is Gus, he is now 11 months old, and completely NOT spoiled. He's the reason I started making baby slings. We was worn at least 14 hours a day when we were going through this.

He even had to sleep on me. I don't men co-sleeping, baby next to you sleeping. I mean actually ON me. Not on Daddy, on ME. Or there was no sleep at all for any of us. I was dangerously close to a total breakdown when I started wearing him almost constantly and "fixed" the problem.

He is now a crawling, standing, cyclone of activity who naps by himself and sleeps all night in his crib. He's happy, he's not clingy (at least compared to the way he was), but he is very affectionate and sweet.

He still prefers Mama over all others, but I can go away for a 12-hour stretch to shoot a wedding and he is perfectly happy to be with Daddy and sister Sophie all day.

There is hope, Mama. Wear the little sprout, and all will (probably) be well.