Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2007, 12:19 AM   #1
imamama3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Baby sleep issues

My almost 6 month old has slept through the night a handful of times, but cannot seem to get into a pattern of doing it consistently. He's about 20 lbs. and feeding him cereal (per my pediatrician's suggestion) to increase his caloric intake during the day hasn't helped. He just isn't interested in rice or oatmeal cereal, though he loves to watch me eat and seems to want a bite of what I'm having. Anyhow, he's waking frequently a couple of hours into bedtime and cries desperately. If I pick him up, he settles right down for 20 minutes or so, then it happens again. Eventually he gets into a deep sleep and I don't hear from him until maybe 3 or 4 a.m. to nurse. This has been going on for four or five days. He is healthy and has no signs of imminent upper teeth (he has his lower two already). I get the feeling he's playing games with me just to get Mommy to come running in and snuggle him. I had to do CIO with my daughter at 12 months to get her to sleep through the night. It worked, but I didn't like it. He seems so young to do CIO...

Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Old 10-30-2007, 12:28 AM   #2
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller

Location: I'm only passing through here as my real home is in Heaven!
My Mood:
Re: Baby sleep issues

The only way that I've been able to stay sane is to cosleep. When DS starts fussing at night I just lay him with me and let him nurse while I sleep. It's not at all comfortable but uncomfortable sleep is better than no sleep right. I literally have him sucking at my boob all night. Maybe your LO won't nurse all night but maybe he just wants to feel the closeness.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:39 AM   #3
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

If it's only been for a few nights, I'd just wait it out. Yes, it's frustrating, but babies go in cycles. It might just be a short phase. Then again, you might not want to wait it out, thinking it might become habit. If so, I'm afraid I don't know what to tell you. Have you tried a pacifier? My son had a major sucking reflex and would sometimes wake up at night and cry just because he needed to suck on something (for some reason he never found his thumb).
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:10 AM   #4
bluebonnet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Try having your DH wake up w/ him for a few nights and you not go in there at all. Just your DH. (sorry...I didn't look to see if you were even married, but hopefully this is an option for you)

My DD was like that and we had my DH take over and she stopped waking up because she only wanted me, not my DH. After that, she just woke up for her 3/4 am feeding.

Good luck!
Old 10-30-2007, 02:11 PM   #5
imamama3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebonnet View Post
Try having your DH wake up w/ him for a few nights and you not go in there at all. Just your DH. (sorry...I didn't look to see if you were even married, but hopefully this is an option for you)
Well, I am married, but unfortunately this is not an option. Waking in the night is not something my Dh does.

I do feel like it's becoming a habit...his mid-day nap is a problem, too: he only stays asleep if I nap with him, which I really don't mind doind most days 'cause I'm tired from getting up in the night. But I think if he would sleep better at night, I would sleep better and could actually get some things done while he naps mid-day. *sigh* Maybe someday!

eta: He used to love his paci and would self-settle with it! Then he got his bottom teeth and it was all over. NO MORE PACIFIER. Just like that. Now I am the paci. At least he doesn't demand to be attached all night long.

Last edited by imamama3; 10-30-2007 at 02:13 PM. Reason: forgot to answer pacifier question
imamama3 is offline   Reply With Quote