Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2007, 08:53 PM   #1
NicoleT
Registered Users
seller

questions about signs of autism / flu vax

Ok, so my mom and step dad saw a thing on the news tonight about how kids should be tested for autism at 18 months and 24 months by a doctor. I don't think maddie has autism, she interacts really well, plays with others, speaks well and understands a lot of words. But I'm really nervous about her flu shot tomorrow. It's kind of silly because she has had all of her shots on time up until now and so far she's fine and I made sure the shot she is getting tomorrow doesn't have mercury in any of the processing and no preservatives. Please no flaming, my husband and I have very strong ideas about vaccinations and even though they are not the same as some parents on this board we are doing what we feel is best for our child. I guess I just need some reassurance and some info on autism. Sorry this post is kind of all over the place

Advertisement

NicoleT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:24 AM   #2
Craftin'Diva
Registered Users
Formerly: Diaper'nDiva
seller

My Mood:
Re: questions about signs of autism / flu vax

So you think there is a possibility the flu vax could give your child autism and want info on that?

I'm not sure I understand the question...
Jeri, Mama to Elijah (9.29.03), Eden (10.2.06), a (1/12) and full time StepMonster to Shelby (16). Married to my soul mate, Eric for over 10 years! Awaiting a rainbow after our loss and 5 years of secondary infertility!
"A strong person is not one who doesn't cry. A strong person is one who is quiet and sheds a tear for a moment, then picks up her sword and fights again!"
Craftin'Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:45 AM   #3
isis0821
Registered Users
seller

Here is the AAP report related to early autism screening:

http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases/oct07autism.htm

I, too, vaccinate my child, after having done extensive research and decided that that was the best decision for him. That said, I don't feel that you have anything to worry about when it comes to a vaccine/autism link. I just don't believe that there is a link. Others on this board believe otherwise, which is their right. I know that others on this board are very educated on a wide variety of topics, and people just come to their own conclusions. I'm just trying to present my own personal opinion, here, so please no flaming.

If you're worried about thimerisol found in the flu vax, here's the CDC's info on that:

At the current time, sanofi pasteur is projecting that 10 million to 12 million doses of thimerosal-free vaccine in pre-filled syringes or vials will be produced for the 2007-08 influenza season. The majority of this vaccine will be in 0.25 mL syringes (indicated for ages 6-35 months) with the remainder in 0.5 mL vials or syringes (indicated for ages 36 months and older). MedImmune is projecting up to 7 million doses of thimerosal-free nasal vaccine, FluMist, will be produced for the 2007-08 season. In addition, the single dose syringe preparation of CSL Biotherapiesí product, Afluria, is thimerosal-free and can be used in persons 18 years of age and older. Finally, both Novartis and GlaxoSmithKline are producing preservative-free (trace thimerosal) influenza vaccines this season. Novartisís Fluvirin (single dose syringe preparations) can be used in persons 4 years of age and older and GSKís Fluarix can be used in adults 18 years of age and older.

For the 2007-08 season, there is one product licensed for 6-23 month old children (the product is thimerosal-free). Given the uptake of influenza vaccine among children < 2 years of age to date and the anticipated increase in vaccine coverage this season, CDC projects that the vaccine supply for this agegroup will be adequate to meet demand.

For children between the ages of 2 and 5 years of age, there are three products available that are thimerosal-free (sanofiís Fluzone; MedImmuneís FluMist) or preservative-free (trace thimerosal- [Novartisís Fluvirin]). Specific information about these products and other influenza vaccines can be found in the Table: Influenza Vaccine Manufacturers for the 2007-08 Influenza Season (http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaxsupply.htm#table).
isis0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:41 AM   #4
Meg678
Registered Users
seller

I don't think the flu vax has been studied long enough to know the affects of it. Heck, even the vaccines that have been around for decades haven't been fully studied imo...

Anyway, I'm just uneasy about the flu vax, it hasn't been around long enough. I say if you're unsure about it, then you just shouldn't do it. My sister gave her kids the flu shot last year and they were sick with the flu all winter long. At one point it got so serious my niece was hospitalized. I remember my obgyn talking about the flu vaccine and she said that it's very common to feel "under the weather" after the flu shot for a few weeks.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:18 PM   #5
NicoleT
Registered Users
seller

Thanks mamas. I brought mads to get her flu shot this morning and she's been fine the rest of the day. I made sure to get the vax with no preservatives or mercury in it. I know that my 1st post was kind of confusing, my mind was going all over the place last night because I was pretty nervous about this shot for some reason, probably because she's old enough to look at me and say "mom, whats going on?" kwim? Anyway thank you again for your help and support.
NicoleT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:59 PM   #6
xois
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i was just at the pedi today and the flu vac is persertative free