Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2007, 05:57 PM   #1
RockinClothBunz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
bady part discovery for dd

Ava is now into discovering her private parts and I'm not sure how to handle it. With bradley I have never had a problem with him discovering his penis. He's still discovering. Lol! But it just seems different with ava. She is putting her fingers in her vagina. I don't like it but I don't want to not let her do it. I just try to distract her so she moves on rather than move her hands away. Am I susposed to let her just do that? Can she hurt herself doing it? What do you do?

Advertisement

Auntie to Trentin 5-31-09
RockinClothBunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:08 PM   #2
Roseplummer
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: bady part discovery for dd

My pediatrician told me it was normal and you can distract them but never tell them no or make a big deal out of it. You don't want them to think they are bad or their body is bad or wrong. She won't hurt herself any more than a boy pulling on his penis.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:54 PM   #3
RockinClothBunz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks momma. I already knew that but it helps to hear it from someone else for reassurance, kwim?

Its just easier for me to see my ds discover his penis than to see dd discover her vagina. Not sure why.
Auntie to Trentin 5-31-09
RockinClothBunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:00 PM   #4
mollies73
Registered Users

I've struggled with this with both my boys and girls. I don't want to ever make them feel like it's wrong or dirty; I do think it's normal, but I do want them to know that some things are private. My son use to have his hands down his pants when we were out. I just said that it wasn't polite in public. It gets easier when they're older. When they were young, I'd just distract them.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:40 PM   #5
Roseplummer
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinClothBunz View Post
Thanks momma. I already knew that but it helps to hear it from someone else for reassurance, kwim?

Its just easier for me to see my ds discover his penis than to see dd discover her vagina. Not sure why.
I think that part of the problem is it's more socially acceptable for boys/men to be sexually open. So we as parents are sort of brainwashed to think girls should be little ladies while boys will be boys. It is one of the reasons I strive to raise my kids with out doing things differantly for gender. It's hard though when the world is that way.
Just follow your heart it's all you can do.