Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-04-2007, 04:47 PM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Front Loader HELP! Sanitiary cycle needed?

I only use sanitiary cycle when I first wash new (used) diapers or if the baby is sick.

Sense washing protein based stains in hot water sets them I always wash my diapers in cold, and yes the dryer or the sun would kill any bacteria (but my DD is breastfed so harmful bacteria shouldn't be a big issue). BTW washing in hot will also reduce the life of your diapers and covers

I have a LG FL and use all small and mighty free and clear detergent (1/2 cap) for 3doz or less diapers and covers, speed wash, tap-cold/cold, heavy soil, extra rinse, extra high speed spin. then dry 20min on high heat in the dryer or outside on the line.

I bought the washer in may and it has already saved me more than it cost ($800) in gas and water bill fees

ISO XS maternity clothing, EC items, Pagan/Celtic theme baby items, washable nursing pads, size 32 nursing bras

Last edited by litlepick; 11-04-2007 at 04:57 PM.
litlepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:26 PM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:

I have an LG FL without a sanitary cycle so I can't compare..

however i do a cold rince, hot wash and double cold rinse with a dime sized amount of A&H Essentials and I've never had any problems! Occasionally I was the inserts seperately with a bit of bleach and rinse rinse rinse to get out any extra stinkies and such. I don't have a single poop stain on anything I own. Oh and I agree with PP that high heat on the dryer will kill bacteria..

Good luck!

Amy S.
Peekaboo Bottoms - Natural Parenting Store & Baby Boutique
Modern, organic and environmentally friendly items for moms, babies and toddlers!

amy&rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

Thanks mamas!
At this point, I am leaning towards the one with the sanitize cycle even though it will be about $170 more than our other "favorite" that doesn't have the sanitize.

Either way, I know I'm sick of running downstairs every 10 minutes to make sure my semi-broken top loader is spinning out properly!

At least we are much closer to a decision now! If anyone else has input about the sanitize cycle, I'd still love to hear it!
Ann, Mommy to 3 beautiful, boisterous boys:
Liam - 6 1/2, Emmett - 4, almost 5
and Callan - 22 months
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:45 PM   #14
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
My Mood:

Does the one that sanitizes also have a wool wash cycle?

Mine does and those two cycles sold me on the machine~ I use the sanitize cycle quite a bit (think blankets that kids drag outside to the dog,blanket that DD vomited into,stinky towels and of course diapers)

That said find out how many gallons of water the one you are looking at uses if anyone you wash for gets really dirty. The new FL'ers use even less water than the FL'ers that were being made a few years ago. I wish that mine used a little more water like my old FL'er did. I have rigged the machine so I can add water to the washing and rinsing but it is a pain to do so.
For a sure-fire humdinger of a thread start one on:The Duggars,Government Assistance, Politics, Crickets,
Religion,Circumcision, Infant Ear Piercing,Spanking,Breast Milk vs Formula,Feeding kids Fast Food
/ Beans & Rice, Sniffing Butt, or Vaccinating.

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:46 PM   #15
Registered Users
My Mood:

YES! It is wonderful. Never never ever had a rash on my son & I really believe it is because of that.
Mommy to two sweet boys, 10/03 & 4/06
ISO: NIP or EUC Woof! Goodmama
sadieavc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:26 PM   #16
Registered Users
My Mood:

I use the sanitary cycle also. I love it. I've compared my dipes using the regular cycle with hot water versus the sanitary cycle and they definitely come out better with the sanitary. I usually run it at bedtime, so no big deal with how long it takes. And I'm still saving a *ton* of money on my water bill when compared to our old TL machine. Our machine also has the wool cycle and that comes in handy too. It took a little tweaking with the wash routine, but I do love our new set (it's a Whirlpool Duet btw). Oh and the only time I've ever had a poop stain out of the wash that I had to sun is when I didn't do the extra long sanitize cycle. I don't worry about setting in stains since I always do a cold rinse first.
Melissa (38) - SAHM to PL'd DS, Audie (05/07) and proud wife of a firefighter. Happily married 9 years and counting.... Extended BFing, mei tai wearing, selective vaxing, gently disciplining mama.
MelissaNCgirl is offline   Reply With Quote