Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-05-2007, 08:06 AM   #1
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

Peeing through wool- recommendations?

I really found the wool love and it works great on my 18 mos old. And sometimes is great with my 2 mos old. However, he, and his clothes, sometimes get damp quickly and yesterday he peed through his (well lanolized) SBBish cover, clothes, and then on me and the ground!
Yesterday I washed and lanolized most of my wool and rubbed globs of lanolin on the inside of his covers- was that a bad idea? I know I may have lanolin stains, but I don't really care as it is on the inside. I also put a bunch of lanolin in the water I soaked the wool in (I use Lansinoh lanolin and Lana 20% lanolin wool wash).

Ideas? Advice? Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 11-05-2007, 08:12 AM   #2
adahsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Peeing through wool- recommendations?

Eeek. We had a similar leak yesterday. DS walked up to me and pulled up the ankle of his longies. I could see the pee running down his leg.

In my experience, wool only works as well as the diaper underneath. It sounds like you might need more absorbancy.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:19 AM   #3
ForCryingOutLoud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I suggest an absorbent diaper. Also you do need that much lanolizing. Doesn't it feel greasy?

How long are you leaving your wool soak? I would suggest 30 minutes.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:35 AM   #4
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:

eek! I'd strip the wool of that lanolin first. You do not need that much!

Your wool is only as good as the diaper underneath. Work on a more absorbent dipe first.
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:44 AM   #5
Fuzzi Fannies Creations
Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers
seller

My Mood:

Better dipe... I totally agree! I had been using prefolds.. but I just am no good at it.. so I switched and have been buying me a yummy stash of NBC fitteds, her new trim pattern fits J great!! So.. try a more absorbant./better fitting fitted
Old 11-05-2007, 10:38 AM   #6
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

Wow, well I am already using premium prefolds on my 2 mos old. We don't really do fitteds, and the premium gives him a big butt already. Also, the diaper is not soaked all the way when this happens. Yesterdays incident happened after he'd been in the dipe for 30 min.
Today he soaked through my recycled wool cover with an infant and preemie prefold on. But, that could be my fault, as it was a homemade soaker
Oh well, I think I will just not take him out in wool anymore. Now I am afraid to spend the money for knit longies for him.
Perhaps it is b/c he pees so much so fast all at once, while my 18 mos old is more of a dribbler
Old 11-05-2007, 12:00 PM   #7
msmamabear
Registered Users
seller

My IRL cloth diaper friend said she had to stop using fleece on her son because he peed straight through it. My daughter doesn't (and wouldn't ) have that problem. But putting another layer between him and his "soaker" might be a good idea. With my son we used motherease with the doublers and I would just fold up the doubler in his wet zone. The back of the diaper was often dry, but the front would be dripping.
It also might be that your prefolds might need a stripping... I noticed ours got a little build up and seemed to take longer to absorb, and with a soaker, you need fast absorption. I would also avoid hemp, even though it holds tons (which works great for my daughter) it takes longer to absorb.
msmamabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:13 PM   #8
hungrytree
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would suggest trimming your pfs and using a doubler, that way they will fit better and the butt won't be so big but you will have more absorbancy where you need it. Or you could get some felted recycled wool doublers and baste them onto the outside of your pfs to help for then he uses them will wool... Just a thought. I also like Hemp fleece pfs and I don't think they absorb slower than cotton. GMD pfs are supposed to be more absorbant than others too and I do like the extra width. I can do a bikini fold for DS and it holds his peanut butter poo and the extra bulk is in the front where I need it for a boy. You could also try the bikini twist with your premiums, that might help with bulk and absorbany issues. The only thing is I have to be careful and twist pretty far back so all his boy bits are covered If I'm not really careful sometimes I get a peep show, LOL

ETA: sorry about rambling but I was thinking the hemp fleece are nice and stretchy and I can get the legs really really tight which might be part of your problem if the pee is just running out. Just a thought...

Last edited by hungrytree; 11-05-2007 at 12:14 PM.
hungrytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:18 PM   #9
jenncatsmeow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes... just as pre-posters are suggesting, add more absorbancy to the diaper underneath...wool is just the cover. Perhaps a hemp insert/doubler within the PF. Also, there is a such thing as overlanolizing. In that case, the wool cannot do its job of absorbing any of the moisture. It is one of those cool fibers that can both be water resistant, AND absorbant at the same time. Too much lanolin and it will not absorb; not enough and it won't resist the liquid.
5% off at My HyenaCart with code: DS Momma
jenncatsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:44 PM   #10
Brentscutie
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanner99 View Post
Wow, well I am already using premium prefolds on my 2 mos old. We don't really do fitteds, and the premium gives him a big butt already. Also, the diaper is not soaked all the way when this happens. Yesterdays incident happened after he'd been in the dipe for 30 min.
Today he soaked through my recycled wool cover with an infant and preemie prefold on. But, that could be my fault, as it was a homemade soaker
Oh well, I think I will just not take him out in wool anymore. Now I am afraid to spend the money for knit longies for him.
Perhaps it is b/c he pees so much so fast all at once, while my 18 mos old is more of a dribbler
Could it be that your prefolds are not yet full absorbent? I know when I bought mine I had to wash them like 20 times to get my current awesome level of absorbency, or is that only with organics?
Brentscutie is offline   Reply With Quote