Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-07-2006, 12:32 PM   #1
Registered Users
Head Lice?

A friend of mine read that you can use teatree oil with another oil in your shampoo that is supposed keep the head lice away. Have any of you heard or tried something similar. She was interested since school is getting ready to start.

Debbie SAHM to Zach 15, Maddie 13, Abby 7, Loving wife to Tim
daizydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:01 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Head Lice?

Have you ever smelled the stuff???

I'm actually interested to see the answer for this one...we had some lice troubles last year and really don't want a repeat.

~*Sabrina~Mama to Taylor, Nicholas & Gracie~*
~*~*~Loving Wife to Jason~*~*~
tng_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:25 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

I used to work at a daycare and we had a major lice problem, so bad that they had to shut down for a couple days to bomb the place. I heard the tea tree thing from the manager and so went right out and bought some and put in my kids and my shampoo and we didn't get lice. I've also heard dirty hair and hair that is oily is less prone to lice, but not for sure on this. I work at a homeless shelter and we get lice from time to time and I always have gel and hairspray in my hair anyway, and have never gotten it and have worked there for 5 years, and I work with the kids there, so I am in close contact. We had scabies at the shelter too, and tea tree oil is recommended for that too. I slathered myself everytime I worked, and didn't get it Arbonne actually has a tea tree shampoo that smells good. I didn't notice much of a difference in smell when I just added it to my shampoo either though.
HS mom to 4 kiddos- dd-12, dd-9, dd-6 (autism spectrum) and ds-4
allycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:44 PM   #4
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers
My Mood:

Well, I love the smell of Melaleuca Oil....tea tree oil. Melaleuca has a very pure oil and yes you can put a few drops in a bottle of shampoo. I cant vouch for any other brand than mela. I know a lady whose children went to ps and she had trouble and once she started adding the mela oil to her shampoo she did not have any other problems.
~Lauri~ Mama of 8 blessings~ wife to Grady~

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:10 PM   #5
My Mood:

I don't know about the TTO, but I have heard that lice likes clean hair, not good for those of us who bathe, huh. Figures. Anyway, we had a friend who had the worst time getting rid of lice and my mom told her not wash her hair as often (every other day instead of every day) and not too treat too often w/ the lice stuff because they become immune to it. They finally got rid of it, but it was a pain.

I always hated school because anytime there was a lice problem I was one of the first ones they called because I had thick, long hair. It was like the girls w/ long hair must be the problem. I had it a couple of times, but my mom found it both times, not the school nurse.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:58 PM   #6
Registered Users

I worked in a natural foods store and I saw lots of parents buying tto for lice, so it must work!
Ali, mama to Tony born 8/23/05, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes @ 20 months
Tony's story
Gemma Lynn born 9/04/08
aliks is offline   Reply With Quote