Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-07-2006, 09:12 PM   #21
I grow people
Re: CD success rate?

A lot of people quit because dads don't want to do it. The people that introduced cding to me don't cd anymore because the mom works days and dad works nights, and dad won't change cds.
If you're a SAHM and you do most of the dipe changes, I don't think there will be a problem. Or even if you're not, but you have a supportive dh.
Seriously, I would never have been the type of person to cd, and I love it. I am not hip on all the "AP" stuff, I am not that "crunchy", but I do like to do things that benefit my family, and cding makes you feel good! If I can do it, you can do it!

SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:07 PM   #22
Registered Users
My Mood:

I thought my friends were CRAZY when they said they were CDing, then I saw the diapers. Likewise, my mom thought I was nuts to swtich my 20mo from sposies to cloth....then she saw the diapers.

It is a great first lesson of parenting. You have to do what you think is right for your child AND for you.
Timetodance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:26 PM   #23
Registered Users
My Mood:

I think some people quit because they really can't deal with human waste. It doesn't bother me, everyone has some, and I can wash my hands. If you BF (which I hope you give it a try), your babe's poop will be completely liquid. You can throw the entire dipe in the wash and not have to rinse. Once you start your babe on solids get a MINISHOWER! There will be some dipes that you wish you could throw away but the minishower will rinse most of it off and then it can go in the wash.

I was like you and had my newborn stash ready to go before baby even arrived but during the first two weeks I still used sposies because I was scared! Once I put that first FB on her, I was fine.

I did almost quit because we were having so many leaks as DD got a little older. After reading about all the chemicals in sposies, I was determined to make cloth work. When I finally found a dipe that held my heavy wetter (thank you BumGenius!) it was smooth sailing from there.

So I think you need information (which you seem to have already done your h.w.), determination, and support. Hopefully your DH is on board, but if not, hang out with the mamas here on DS and you will get all the support you need.

Good luck and can't wait to see that new babe!
M & G proud parents of Lae Lae 4/2005 traditional hospital birth, E E ! amazing home water birth 11/2009, Baby Girl another home water birth 9/2012
marvelous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:01 PM   #24
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
My Mood:

DIsposables are so expensive that even if you only use your cloth for a short while (assuming you're not buying more expensive cloth diaps) you're still coming out ahead! That was my rationale when I was building up my stash for my boy. There's no failure in at least trying... and I just landed up telling friends and family to hop in the lake. Surprisingly, cloth diapering has brought me closer to my grandmothers.. who HAD to do it and found a lot of peace in hanging them out to dry (my "mental health time"). They have a whole new appreciation for my newly-found parenting choices of more traditional alternatives
Come "like" The Screaming Penny on Facebook HERE Groupon Eversave
Discover Swagbucks (FAQ) then join Swagbucks
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:59 PM   #25
Registered Users
My Mood:

A lot of people are just grossed out by the idea of CD; I personally do not get it. Sposies are worse....

I started when my DD was 8 months old and never looked back. DS has never been in a sposie; even during our 1 month trip abroad.
Mom to 4 Cuties, one in Cloth I've been frosted
DS Feedback:
dessismama is offline   Reply With Quote