Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2006, 09:53 PM   #1
SerenitysBowtique
Registered Users
Formerly: Serenity0811
seller

My Mood:
Is it okay to fly?

My father-in-law invited us to visit him in Puerto Rico. He has never seen our boys and since Jacob was born he wants to finally see all three of our boys. He offered to pay for our trip. My question is do you think it is okay to take Jacob on an airplane at his age? He is already 1 month old. Any advice if you would go?

Advertisement

Old 08-07-2006, 10:01 PM   #2
jkelstaten
Registered Users

Re: Is it okay to fly?

I flew with DD#1 when she was 3mo. old and had absolutely no probs. She slept through the whole thing! As for travelling in general we moved from Maryland to Georgia (not to be confused with where we are now...Rep. of Georgia) when she was 3 1/2 weeks old. A 14 hour car ride and she did very well. I think as long as your ped. has no problems with it you shouldn't worry.
jkelstaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:46 AM   #3
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

I think the only concern that the doc may have is your ds not being vaxed and leaving the country. We will be going on an cruise next year, and this was our docs concern for dd. She will be 1 1/2, but her vax are being delayed and some omitted due to bad reactions she had to them. Her pedi said the main thing for us to watch for would be measles because it is not always vaxed for in all European countries. (She also said it wasn't something that was serious generally, but just be prepared that she has a risk of contacting it.)

My dd flew for the first time at 6 weeks and did great. She has flown several times since then and IME the younger the better. Now it is hard to fly with her as she wants to get down and play. My dd was nervous from all of the commotion in the airport, so her sling was a life saver. If you have any layovers, be sure to have everything you need just incase you miss your flight or it is delayed. This has happened to me twice and it is a pain in the butt. If your are nursing, you can do that during take off and landing to help with his ears. It may be just me, but I have a drop in supply when I fly, so I would be sure to drink lots of water, and nurse more often to keep your supply up. I took a stroller and gate checked it just so I had something to push all of our bags around in , it was also nice to have some where to lay DD down when she was asleep. HTH.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:05 PM   #4
SerenitysBowtique
Registered Users
Formerly: Serenity0811
seller

My Mood:

Hi ladies I called my Ped. and he said he is okay with us going on a plan with Jacob. He will be 6 weeks old then. He just said that in a plan if someone is sick the the baby gets exposed. He also said if the baby gets really sick before 8 weeks old he would have to go to the hospital. Overall he said he thinks it is okay. I have an appointment with him this Friday and the baby will get his next Hep shot. So dh is going to call his dad tonight and if everything works out we are off to PR on August 19th. I am not going to buy an extra seat for Jacob because he cries in the car seat anyway. He sleeps better if I am holding him. I am bringing a car seat for Javier who will be 2 years old then.

Thanks for the advice.