Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-09-2006, 02:22 AM   #11
Registered Users
Re: Vent re. parents/in-laws and waiting for solids

Originally Posted by greenkmt
I AGREE! Good advice Mammas. I got that all of the time when he was little and now that he is 22 months, they say I am feeding him too much. He is almost 26lbs. (not even 50%, but hell, what do I know, I AM HIS MOTHER!) Anyway, I get flack now because I refuse to feed him what they call normal food. He eats lean meats, lots and lots of veggies and fruit, He also gets oatmeal and whole grain breads sometimes. I feed him well and I know that every pound that he gains is healthy and I am PROUD of that!

I Think my son hit 20lbs at 12 months. So way to go Mamma!
My dd was only 17lbs! She's nearly 3 and weight 27lbs! My son's huge 3 months old and I think he's about 17lbs. (We're weighing him Fri.) They were/ are both breatfed. So that just goes to show that babies just like adults store food differently and have different body types!

katherine-Waterbirthing, breastfeeding, organic eating, and cloth diapering SAHM of Hailyn 11/23/03 and Ashton 05/06/06, and madly in love wife to my hunny, Shane!
skayers01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:03 AM   #12
Registered Users
Re: Vent re. parents/in-laws and waiting for solids

Print this off and show it to your mil. This is straight from the American Academy of Peds (all emphasis mine):

Pediatricians and parents should be aware that exclusive breastfeeding is sufficient to support optimal growth and development for approximately the first 6 months of life and provides continuing protection against diarrhea and respiratory tract infection.30,34,128,178184 Breastfeeding should be continued for at least the first year of life and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mother and child.185

Complementary foods rich in iron should be introduced gradually beginning around 6 months of age.186187 Preterm and low birth weight infants and infants with hematologic disorders or infants who had inadequate iron stores at birth generally require iron supplementation before 6 months of age.148,188192 Iron may be administered while continuing exclusive breastfeeding.

Unique needs or feeding behaviors of individual infants may indicate a need for introduction of complementary foods as early as 4 months of age, whereas other infants may not be ready to accept other foods until approximately 8 months of age.193

Introduction of complementary feedings before 6 months of age generally does not increase total caloric intake or rate of growth and only substitutes foods that lack the protective components of human milk.194

During the first 6 months of age, even in hot climates, water and juice are unnecessary for breastfed infants and may introduce contaminants or allergens.195

Increased duration of breastfeeding confers significant health and developmental benefits for the child and the mother, especially in delaying return of fertility (thereby promoting optimal intervals between births).196

There is no upper limit to the duration of breastfeeding and no evidence of psychologic or developmental harm from breastfeeding into the third year of life or longer.197

Infants weaned before 12 months of age should not receive cow's milk but should receive iron-fortified infant formula.198
Then tell her to shove it.
Blessed with a Godly husband since 7/4/02
Natural birthing, baby wearing, babyfood making, cloth diapering, breastfeeding mama to Ian 11/20/05
rpg_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote