Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-08-2006, 11:40 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
New at cloth diapering

I have yet to start cloth diapering. But I REALLY really want to do it. I have an almost 9 month old son and I am due with our second baby at the end of February. And I plan on cloth diapering them both. I have heard that Fuzzi Bunz work really well, but I have no knowledge of what is best and what isn't. Could anybody give me some feedback on what the use/plan on using? And a list of all the things you need to cloth diaper? Thank you so much!!

kulaswifeandmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:50 PM   #2
Re: New at cloth diapering

I personally use PreFolds and Fitteds. Fitteds are ones that are contoured to fit with elastic in the legs and back and have the look of a disposable diaper with snap or velcro closures. I am not trying to spam you but I make these if you want to try one. Some people have re usable wipes. I personally do disposable, but that is up to you. You would have to get a suggestion from another mama on how many wipes to get if you are going to do cloth ones. I would recommend about 30 dipes to start out with. Whatever kind you choose. About 4 pair of pins if you are going to do pre-folds and a pail to put them in. We have a plastic one that we got at Wal-mart for $5. I would also recommend 2 wet bags. A big one for home and a small one for the diaper bag. Many mama's sell them here for fairly inexpensive prices. These are cute waterproof bags to keep dirty diapers in. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
shell015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:58 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

Welcome to CD'ing! I'm sure you'll get more support than I have to offer...but it's nice to read everyone's

To do without: DESITIN (my first CD mistake)
To do with: a CD friendly diaper balm - I personally like Kissaluv spray or BabyCarrot diaper balm, there are many out there though

For your older baby: Diaper liners are nice - ease of poop clean up (I like Kushies, Imse Vimse & even Gerber (although I wouldn't flush these)
For your baby baby: if breastfeeding, clean up is not such a big issue

My favorite one size pocket - bumGenius
My favorite pocket(s) - swaddlebees (low rise, day use only), fuzzi bunz - day/night, Happy Heiny - easiest for me to double stuff for nights

Until your newborn is sleeping longer and not pooping with everyfeed - a true overnight solution is not needed

BTW, I started CD when my 8 month old was 4.5 month old and I switched b/c of nighttime pee leaks. I was tired of her waking up soaked through her PJ's with a sposie. I was hooked to CD after our great nighttime success.

My #1 suggestion: Microfiber towels. The auto cleaning type (I purchased 22 for less than $10 at costco). I wrap one around my pocket insert for nightime or naps and have had great success.

Also, don't be afraid of prefolds and covers - if you use flushable liners... they are SO much easier than the care of pocket diapers and really economical. I wish I had started off with PF/covers and then added pockets to my stash.

Okay - long post. Hope some of it helps!
Mama to Lucy 12/01/05 & twins Etta & Grace 04/01/08.
Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician since 2009
autumnlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:07 AM   #4
Registered Users

I started CDing 4 months ago when my DD was born so I'm still a relative newby and I gotta tell ya, it's a big, confusing, fluffy world out there! LOL There are so many options and options w/in options that it can really become overwhelming.

I've bought and sold many different types of AIO's (all in one's) and pockets (including Fuzzi Bunz) and right now I'm just using tri-folded pre-folds (no pin or snappi) inside of WiggleWormBottom covers. I'm using sposies at night (yuck! ) until I can find a good nighttime diaper for us. However, I'm currently working on converting my stash over to WiggleWormBottoms AI2's (All In Twos). I think these are fantastic and you should go giver her site a once over. She's a great WAHM who does really quality work at a very affordable price.

I wish I could be of more help but there are SO many other mama's here with MUCH more experience than I have!

Good luck and welcome to the CDing world!
::warning Cloth Diapering IS addictive!
Amanda: Wife to Kevin and AP Mama to Caedmon Jeremiah *8-8-01* and Presley Claire *3-31-06*
My blog, Kevin's blog, Presley's Home Birth
presleycaedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:15 AM   #5
Registered Users

I am new also - My first is due in December. We decided to go with FuzziBunz & bumGenius pockets, due to the ease of use. (We will have to use daycare full-time). Not sure if you are aware of the bG!, but you might like to check those out since you will have two in dipes at the same time, but different sizes. That way you don't have to have a separate (size) stash for each kiddo. Good luck!
washu97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:29 AM   #6
Registered Users

Hey! I just wanted to say welcome to DS! It's me Chelci.
Chelci married to A, AP parents to:
E ~11/2006, A ~ 07/2008, and
K ~ 09/2014
CTH3989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:40 AM   #7
Registered Users
My Mood:

Everyone has their own preference, but right now my fav are the FB (Fuzzi Bunz) and the BG (Bum Genius). I just recieved a couple more pockets in the mail that I will be trying out today and I cant wait
Oh yeah I also have 1 Mommy's Touch and that fits ds well too
mom to 2 boys 2005 and 2007
LuAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:48 AM   #8
Registered Users

Hi and welcome to cloth diapering!

I've got a son who is almost 9 months old, and we started CD'ing him at about 4 months. We used Fuzzi Bunz exclusively and I LOVE them. The fit is great and care is pretty simple. They work well for overnight and are so easy to put on. We bought 12 of them to start with, and that lets me wash diapers every other day. I've added a couple of fitteds w/covers to my stash and just got some Happy Hineys too. I'm trying some new things, but so far I'm just in love with pocket diapers.
Blessed with a Godly husband since 7/4/02
Natural birthing, baby wearing, babyfood making, cloth diapering, breastfeeding mama to Ian 11/20/05
rpg_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote