Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-04-2006, 09:59 PM   #11
Nadmom
Registered Users
seller

Re: I don't want to sposie at night, but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgjmhg03
It sounds like either detergent build-up or bacteria that isn't getting out of the dipes. I had the same problem and I stripped using a squirt of Dawn and then hot rinses until there were no more bubbles. I also used 1 tsp of bleach in a wash cycle recently. I know, bleach is a big no-no, but I was at the point where I had to weigh whether or not the yeasty looking rash and ammonia smell was worth still CD'ing. So I just used a little bit one time and did about 4 or 5 rinses. The ammonia smell and rash went away immediately.
I just wanted to say I had this same experience. I was only having smell issues with the morning dipe (not a rash though I am more likely to get a rash with sposies) and when I did the above it went away. I think it is the bleach that made the difference and I plan to use it once a month or so. Hey I say do what works. All my dipes seem fine with the exception of some of the velcro tabs on my BGs are fraying and I am not sure that has anything to do with the bleach. I used 2 cap fulls.

Advertisement

Barefoot Books
Nadmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:51 PM   #12
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

I just want to say that my DD has really strong urine and it was not because of buildup on the dipes. She just has strong urine. Stripping won't hurt of course, and you probably should try that, but it didn't solve our problem. We have the exact same problem you are having, except my dd sees to be even worse, she gets blisters and then her skin peels like a sunburn, from the amonia burn. I finally got some ointment from cottonmamma.com called, My Mamma's Love Salve and use it as a barrier on her bum. It has olive oil and herbs and some other stuff that is supposed to be ok w/ CD, so far so good here. It really seems to be making a big difference. I hope this helps. I know it did for us.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:58 PM   #13
keeperof3angels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesmom23girls
I just want to say that my DD has really strong urine and it was not because of buildup on the dipes. She just has strong urine. Stripping won't hurt of course, and you probably should try that, but it didn't solve our problem. We have the exact same problem you are having, except my dd sees to be even worse, she gets blisters and then her skin peels like a sunburn, from the amonia burn. I finally got some ointment from cottonmamma.com called, My Mamma's Love Salve and use it as a barrier on her bum. It has olive oil and herbs and some other stuff that is supposed to be ok w/ CD, so far so good here. It really seems to be making a big difference. I hope this helps. I know it did for us.
I have the same exact issue with my DD, i have actually went to sposies at night because i can't stand to sleep next to her with that smell and neither can dh, it makes him hate cd's even more And she gets those same exact type of sores Tried stripping them over and over, just used dawn this last time and ohhh it made it soo worse! don't know if it left to much dawn in the dipes or what (i have a front loader)....so i guess i am going to try adding a little bleach tomorrow on my next wash and see if that helps !! I am going to order that love salve...i need something like that for her poor little bottom! Thanks mama!

Ashlynn (12/8/00) Jadyn (1/3/03) Madisyn (8/16/05) Gavin (7/10/07)
keeperof3angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:03 PM   #14
Bare Bottom Gear
Cruelty is a tyrant that's always attended with fear
Formerly: SAHMTo2
seller

My Mood:

Same situation I am dealing with. I use sposies at night. I changed soaps 3 times, stripped and boiled. The only thing that worked was boiling and bleaching afterwards. Now I turn up the hot water heater 45 min before doing diapers and that helps with keeping the inserts nice and fresh.

The boiling of the mf/hemp inserts got the ammonia stink out because after peeing in them overnight all the diapers he wore at night began to stink as soon as he pee'd one time in them during the day. I also bleached my white mf inserts. That got it all out but I still don't cd at night.

THEN, I bought some AIO's. After wearing them during the day they now stink the same (barely there but it's there). I suppose it could be residue in the washer from the fabric softner but I stripped my washing machine too and honestly, I cannot strip it every 3 days when I want to wash the diapers, kwim? So, if the leftover fabric softener and Era from our clothes is the culprit there is nothing to fix that.

I wish I knew how to make it better too. Don't like that I cannot do it at night or that aio's have to have more maintenance on them than they should but what do you do, kwim?

ETA: My ds wakes up with a sore on the tip of his pee pee (opening). I am leaning more towards washer/soap residue as the enzymens in Era (and other detergants) "activate" again when ds pees at night and "eats" at his skin. It hurts him too bad so I had to stop.

Check out my other FSOT items, I've got diapers, yarn and fiber for sale!!

Last edited by Bare Bottom Gear; 08-04-2006 at 11:07 PM.
Bare Bottom Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 08:38 AM   #15
sheri_b
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks so much for all of the replies. I hate to be stubborn, but I just don't think it's buildup. I've done just about everything everyone has said. I spent the entire day the other day boiling on the stovetop, washing, rinsing, bleach, dawn. ....you name it. I don't think it's my detergent.....I've been using Sportswash for over a year now and never had a problem. FWIW, even her sposies smell faintly ammonia-y in the morning.

I'm going to try the ointment and see if that helps.

Again, thanks so much. I do think I'll try stripping again, though. It can't hurt.
sheri_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:27 PM   #16
sheri_b
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: I don't want to sposie at night, but.....ok..tell me you told me so!

Ok, so I stripped. And I washed....and washed ....... and washed some more. I boiled them for about 20 min with dawn. Poured that into the washer and washed on hot with 2 scoops of oxyclean (per cottonbabies website). Then I washed 4 more times with two huge pots of boiling water each and no soap. Then two more hot washes (just machine hot). I put a few sb's and a few inserts into the dryer for a test. Guess what ......

For the first time in about a year, my dipes don't smell!!

I mean not at all. They've always had a funny smell, but I thought my dryer made them smell that way. NOPE!!!! They don't smell at ALL! Woohoo!

Thank you everyone for making me see that I wasn't stripping well enough and needed to REALLY do it!

Woohoo!
Old 08-08-2006, 08:45 PM   #17
SarahJane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm so happy that you found a solution. I do love oxyclean. I read somewhere, maybe it was cotton babies that after a child has been sick or in our case teething that you should strip the diapers with oxy clean. Makes a huge difference for us. I don't use on pockets, just the inserts and double hot rinses after, then a cold and like you said, no stink.... Hope your daughters rash goes away.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:08 PM   #18
Nadmom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri_b
Ok, so I stripped. And I washed....and washed ....... and washed some more. I boiled them for about 20 min with dawn. Poured that into the washer and washed on hot with 2 scoops of oxyclean (per cottonbabies website). Then I washed 4 more times with two huge pots of boiling water each and no soap. Then two more hot washes (just machine hot). I put a few sb's and a few inserts into the dryer for a test. Guess what ......

For the first time in about a year, my dipes don't smell!!

I mean not at all. They've always had a funny smell, but I thought my dryer made them smell that way. NOPE!!!! They don't smell at ALL! Woohoo!

Thank you everyone for making me see that I wasn't stripping well enough and needed to REALLY do it!

Woohoo!
Congrats! This the 2nd time recently I have heard someone with stink problems using oxyclean with great results.

Barefoot Books
Nadmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:45 AM   #19
Righteous Recycles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've heard somewhere else that oxyclean leaves a residue that is very difficult to wash out and gives dc a rash.
Righteous Recycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:25 AM   #20
sheri_b
Registered Users

My Mood:

I thought it might leave a rash, also. That's why I used it only in the first wash. I had so many other rinses I figured if there was a residue, it couldn't stand up to so many boiling hot washes.

I also changed my wipes solution. I'd been putting so much goop in it.....lotion, baby shampoo, tto, lavender oil (about 1/2 a dropper of each). So now I just use water with 3gtts of tto and lavender oil. I hope that helps, too.

Again, thanks everyone!