Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-13-2007, 11:08 PM   #21
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Puberty...

Typically periods start 2 years after breast buds have formed and when 110 pounds is reached. If they are super athletic it can be longer. 14 is not to old. I would not worry until 16.

HTH mama!

Advertisement

ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:09 PM   #22
ms_hecubus
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wasn't all that athletic or anything but I was still nearly 15 when I started my period. I didn't really get breasts until I was 16 either, then I went from a AA cup to a full C in less than a year.
ms_hecubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:15 PM   #23
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was 12 when I started mine, but I'm pretty sure you have to have a certain amount of fat or something before you start it? Either way, when I was in school there was a girl who was really skinny (she was a gymnast) and she didn't get her period until sometime after 8th grade. (I haven't spoken to her since the end of 8th grade so I'm not sure exactly when she got it.) But yeah, I'm sure its totally normal that she doesn't have it!
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:54 PM   #24
mayrain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
Typically periods start 2 years after breast buds have formed and when 110 pounds is reached. If they are super athletic it can be longer. 14 is not to old. I would not worry until 16.

HTH mama!
yep, exactly and there is also usually some kind of hair visible - check out her armpits...but you need all of those things(weight, breast buds and hair). I didn't get mine til I was 16 and I'm pretty okay but it looks like my eldest DD is developing the more towards my dh's side of the family. We do organic milk and meat and she is still developing early.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:44 AM   #25
jesserachel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Everyone on here has said it's very normal already since she is thin. However that's not always the case. I was 14 when I started and I was about 20lbs over weight at the time. My mother kept taking me to the dr. because my cousins had all started at 12 and 13 and they all weighed under weight and she had started herself at 9 years old. Nothing at that time was wrong with me. Don't worry about it. It will just make her wonder what's wrong with her.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:54 AM   #26
BlsdMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrab View Post
ok so I only have one daughter.... and she will be 14 in a few months... she has yet to have a period.... should I be concerned? I hear of so many kids starting their periods around age 9.... and it starts to make me feel like something is not right with my daughter... don't get me wrong.. I am more than happy that we don't have to deal with that yet LOL I am just wondering if it is *normal* should I make an appointment for her to see a Dr? She is in 8th grade,,, she will be a freshman in high school in the fall!
No. A pretty invasive doctor's appointment probably will not turn up a thing. And a girl starting a period at nine isn't normal... it's more the result of hormones, etc., in our food supply. Not to mention that women being better fed these days is contributing. Not that that is a bad thing. We have dear friends that have girls very close in age. 14, 12, 11. The 11 year old has caught up to the 14 year old. The 14yo just started her period. It's just one of those things where every girl is unique. I would never want to submit a 14yog, at this point of her life, to an OB/GYN visit. How horrifying.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:08 AM   #27
crystalkicks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was 16.....
Old 11-14-2007, 06:35 AM   #28
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was 16 going on 17 when I got mine. I was always very skinny and was actually forced by my doctor to see a nutritionists because she thought I had an eating disorder (she wouldn't believe either my mom nor myself when we'd tell her that I ate like a pig) since I was 95 lbs. I didn't even hit 100 lbs until after high skool. She's normal, it's the girls that are getting their periods very early that are not normal. BTW, I didn't get hair (underarm or other kind) until I was about 15 myself either.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote