Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2006, 04:14 PM   #1
mamamac
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Pumping for 24 hours

I go back to work in about 3 weeks. I work 24 hour shifts and am already stressing about pumping an entire day while at work. Has anyone had to do this? Maybe like when you were out of town without the baby? What do I do in the middle of the night? If I go on a call in the middle of the night, it will be no big deal to pump. But what if I don't? Should I set an alarm? I have gotten over so many hurdles with bf this time around, I just want to do this right and not give up.

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2006, 04:25 PM   #2
Marielblewis
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Pumping for 24 hours

I would set an alarm to wake up during the night and pump. Pumping isn't as effective as actual nursing to sitmulate milk production. I would say pump lots and then you can always adjut from there.
Marielblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:26 PM   #3
harvestsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would set an alarm, otherwise you will wake up in a pool of milk. But I wouldn't set it for any more frequently than every four hours. Do you have a good pump cause that will make a difference, too.
happy to be married to Dustin 9/21/02 mom to Gabriel 4/7/98 reagan 10/26/03 Harvest 9/2/05 cry: : and Liberty 4/22/07. And coming in January baby #5, It's a girl!! WAHM making leggies, burp cloths, receiving blankets.
harvestsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:31 PM   #4
mamamac
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I have a Medela PIS that I really get along with. I can usually pump 5 oz in 5-10 minutes on one side. You think I should do every 4 hours, even though she still wakes up every 3? Do you think I should try and every 2 hours during the day time?
Old 08-10-2006, 04:31 PM   #5
harvestsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marielblewis
I would set an alarm to wake up during the night and pump. Pumping isn't as effective as actual nursing to sitmulate milk production. I would say pump lots and then you can always adjut from there.
I know that people have said it isn't as effective but I pumped for 6 weeks with my first child, and I just didn't find that to be true. I had a freezer full of milk, there was no room for food, lol. I really have not found pumping to be ineffective or inferior.
happy to be married to Dustin 9/21/02 mom to Gabriel 4/7/98 reagan 10/26/03 Harvest 9/2/05 cry: : and Liberty 4/22/07. And coming in January baby #5, It's a girl!! WAHM making leggies, burp cloths, receiving blankets.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:36 PM   #6
harvestsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamac
Yes, I have a Medela PIS that I really get along with. I can usually pump 5 oz in 5-10 minutes on one side. You think I should do every 4 hours, even though she still wakes up every 3? Do you think I should try and every 2 hours during the day time?
That is the same one I have. If she is still waking up every 3 I would set the alarm for that. I never had one wake up every 3 it has always been every 4. If you can pump every2 during the day I would do it. Keep it up. You're doing good by thinking ahead, and not giving up by starting to give formula.