Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2006, 04:43 PM   #1
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:
Does my baby sleep too much?

I'm wondering if my 4 month old sleeps too much...

We usually get up around 10:30-11 in the morning to start our day. Around 2 or 3, he usually takes a 3 hour nap. Then around 9 he goes to sleep until 12, when I give him his last bottle of the night. We go to bed after the bottle. We get up at 6 in the morning for a bottle, then go right back to bed until 10:30-11. That's like, 17 hours a day. Shouldn't 4 month olds be awake more often than that?

Advertisement

KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:46 PM   #2
grisaleen
Registered Users
seller

Re: Does my baby sleep too much?

Wow, that's almost exactly our schedule, except the afternoon nap doesn't last quite so long usually. But my baby is only 8 weeks. I don't know about older kids....
Old 08-10-2006, 05:03 PM   #3
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Seems like a little much - I cant remember how much riley was sleeping at 4 mo. still a lot but 17 hours is quite a bit. but if he doing things a 4mo old should and eating and peeing/pooing fine i dont think i would be worried.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:09 PM   #4
pinkflamingos77
Registered Users

No. not at all. all babies are different. Just like adults. some need more sleep and others do not. Unless there is something medically wrong.. I would not worry. my baby sleeps about the same amount of time and my ped said she is more then fine and extrmely healthy. If you are really worried or concerned. get your baby checked out.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:22 PM   #5
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm not a doctor or a professional of any kind, but my advice is ENJOY IT

My first slept a lot...he was sleeping 12-14 hrs at night by the time he was 3 weeks old...and then he was still taking a 2+ hr nap, 2-3x's a day (up to around 8-10mo). The first nap was always after he'd been awake for an hour..then the 2nd around 11a or 1p...and then another in the early evening (5 or so).. He was taking 2 naps probably until around 17 months or so. Now at just a little more than 30 months, he takes 1 nap if I'm really lucky

My second is nothing like my first...in any aspect. Sleep seems completely optional for him. I don't want that to sound like I don't like him being awake, he's just incredibly stressful in other ways so a peaceful nap and peaceful sleep through the night would be awesome

Anyway, I think all kids are different and some just require (like?) more sleep than others.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:20 PM   #6
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

When I saw the title of this thread I thought, "No such thing!"
Seriously, though, babies are so different. Trust me, I've had five. My 2 year old still needs incredible amounts of sleep. In fact, he sleeps more than my 9 month old, who has never napped well, not even as a newborn. I wouldn't worry, he will outgrow it.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:19 PM   #7
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

I agree, don't worry about it.Everyone is different, and I don't think that is that uncommon. I never really did the math on how much DD slept but she would sleep from 8 pm until 6:30-7 then back for a nap at9-9:30 for 1-2 hrs then another nap between 1-2 for a couple of hours, she has just started dropping the morning nap and is taking a longer afternoon, so it almost works out to be the same. She is 13 mo.
I just wish I could get my kids to stay in bed past 6:30 am.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:34 PM   #8
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm
I'm wondering if my 4 month old sleeps too much...
Bite your tongue!!! There is no such thing as a baby who sleeps too much. You lucky woman!

From the day I brought her home, my dd slept through the night.... Like eight hours! My doctor said "You have to wake her up every three or four hours". When he left the room, the nurse said, "Don't you dare wake that baby up!"

LOL She is now a healthy live 14 year old who still would rather sleep than eat.

I wish I could sleep til 11:00.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote