Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2006, 12:11 PM   #1
Watercolor Ponies
Professional, Proficient, PeeWell Procurer (or anything else you want me to stalk!)
seller

My Mood:
s/o BF after FF your other babies

I noticed that there are some mamas who now EBF their youngest babies but FF/Bottlefed thier other children. I am so wanting to EBF my next one. Let me give you a little background: When I was preggers with ds #1 I had my mind and heart set on BFing, and really having no one around to tell me different, I thought, "hey its a breast, its a baby how hard can that be?" HA! I had no idea what I was doing and the LCs at the hospital that I had him at only had group classes, and I was not about to whip my boob out infront of like 30 other strangers and their husbands! We tried and tried, but he would gt upset and that would get me all upset, and we never quite connected right, so after he lost a lot of weight, the ped told us to supplement with formula. So after me pumping and dh feeding ds thru a bottle, I gave up bcs I hardly ever got to feed him in those early days. So for ds #2 I read and read and read and had ds#2 in a different hospital with (only slightly) better LCs (at least they would make private visits) we connected and it worked! A little too well. By day 2 I was actively bleeding from my nipples (when I pumped, the milk was actually red-not a little pink-this was colostrum btw) and the LCs swore up and down that he was latched correctly. It got so excruciating that I started to actually dread them bringing him to me bcs I knew it was going to be another torturous feeding session. So pretty much as soon as we got home, we turned to bottle feeding bcs I just couldn't enjoy feeding time with him. With #3, I had to take Cholesterol meds (which I am now off) so I couldn't BF at all, except for the 3 days after birth at the hospital bcs I wasn't on the meds while preggers, they let me feed colostrum before I resumed the meds after delivery. Once again LCs said he was latched right, but I bled all over the place, it was excruciating!

So is there any hope for me? I was apparantly made to BF, bcs I make HUGE amounts of milk. I could feed a whole soccer team of babies!! I so want to succeed with #4... (when we get preggers agian)

Advertisement

Watercolor Ponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:53 PM   #2
MommyMommyMommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: s/o BF after FF your other babies

My advice to you is to find your local La Leche League and start going to the meetings NOW! The leaders and ladies that attend have been through so many things, you are sure to find some help. I think that my success with #3 (#1 and #2 I pumped due to latch problems) has to do with the fact that I was better prepared. If you can't attend meetings, at least find a LLL leader and call or e-mail. If you start now, you have a better chance of deciding the best course of action once you get pregnant and have the baby!

Good luck to you!
MommyMommyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 02:53 PM   #3
jaci_hutton
Registered Users
seller

I did both with my son, but he weaned himself at 4 months .. .. with dd she was a natural latcher and I had problems but I was soooo determined to bf her that I just kept at it. Good luck mama!!!!!!!!
Old 08-10-2006, 02:57 PM   #4
masonite
Whip Crackin Wagon Driver!
seller

My Mood:

I don't really have any great suggestions---other than maybe contact a private LC to help you out.

I just got really lucky and had two boys that took to breastfeeding so well. I had no idea what I was doing, but it just worked. I never had a single problem. Honestly, I think I'm rare in that sense.

Definitely find someone who can help you on a one on one basis though!!
Old 08-10-2006, 03:10 PM   #5
tillers72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Definately get some support! Good luck with the next one!

**we are now in Central Illinois and getting adjusted!**
tillers72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:53 PM   #6
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

Quote:
So is there any hope for me?
YES!! DD would never ever latch. I needed a shield and one of the LC's at the hospital told me I shouldn't use it. So dumbie me listened and I wasn't ever able to latch her. I pumped for her for 8 weeks, then switched her to formula.

DS #1 was BF until about 9 weeks. I had a 2 yr old and he was a slllooowwww and pokey eater. I didn't enjoy BFing and I weaned him. I did regret it and try to relactate, but it was a no go. I was so sad

So this time, there was not another option for me. I told myself my entire PG that I WAS going to BF, no choice in the matter. I armed myself with as much info as I could and gave myself pep talks every day.

I'm proud to say that we have been breastfeeding exclusively for 5+ months and I don't plan to wean until Noah is ready.

Those first 6 weeks are soooooo hard, but if you can make it through, you will love it! Good Luck mama!
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:03 PM   #7
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

I have 5 kids, four of whom were formula fed. I tried bfing my first two and gave up. Didn't even try with the third. Tried again with my fourth and gave up. It was painful, I thought I didn't make enough milk, not much support, etc.

With Hannah I was determined to bf. Honestly, it was very difficult for the first six weeks. There were many nights I was tempted to go to formula. There were many tearful nights. But I kept at it, and it was a success. You can do it! It's hard, but possible.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:44 PM   #8
Watercolor Ponies
Professional, Proficient, PeeWell Procurer (or anything else you want me to stalk!)
seller

My Mood:

I tried to get help from a private LC place that my ped gave me the card to, and when I called, a man answered (which weirded me out to say the least!) and then he suggested I come right in and for $85 an hour they would help me. This was with my first, and quite honestly even now I don't think I would have $85 and hour to get private help. A friend of mine who bf her two said that LLL charges? I thought they were free, but when she was having problems with her daughter biting her, I suggested contacting LLL bcs I had heard they could help out with stuff like that and she said they charged for advice? Could be getting bad info there though...
Watercolor Ponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:51 PM   #9
sprout18
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It can be done - for me third time was the charm! With my first I bf painfully for 4 weeks and then after ped told me to supplement I did and my little one never looked at my boob again! He wasn't latching correctly and my nipples were chapped and cracked and bleeding it was horrible and I hated it. With #2 we started off good but after I got home I was in pain from my c/s and under a lot of stress because we were losing our home and doing horrible financially and I gave up and gave him formula. A few days later I came to my senses and tried to relactate and did to a certain point but I was going back to work and not making very much milk. I pumped at work 3 times a day for 15 minutes and still only produced one bottle for the next day. I bf him while I was home but after 6 months we stopped. So he was pretty much half and half for 6 months then straight ff. With Andy my third child he has never wanted a bottle and at one year (in 5 days) is still bf. I have not once bled or had cracked nipples. Right from the time he was born I had a tube of lansolin and after every feeding I expressed some bm rubbed it in my nipple than put lansolin on it. It worked perfectly - that and him latching on correctly. I have just finally got him to take a sippy cup (and it has to have a hard spout!)but if you bring a bottle near him he will literally take it from you and throw it! It can be done momma just don't give up and the first 6-8 weeks are definately the hardest. If you have support from family and friends it really does help. Good luck.
Ericka