Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-17-2007, 12:35 AM   #11
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

Re: When you let them self-wean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenwaitingalongtime View Post
Totally. When I nurse DD in the rocker at night, I can't see her at all but she feels like she takes up the whole rocker. During the weekdays, we're on a giant bed and she looks so teeny and peaceful on there.

Thx for the replies. I'm in no hurry. Really, I'm fine w/ her nursing right up until I'm PG again (NOT anytime soon!)--if the next PG is anything like my last 2, there's NO WAY I could allow her to nurse. Even the wind blowing made me cringe. ouch. It's just so hard to picture what it'll be like when DD doesn't call me 'milk' anymore. I imagine I'll be sad...unless she's 7 in which case I might throw a party

So, after they wean, do they ever come back for comfort when they get hurt or something? If your milk's gone by then, do you allow it?

I'm not a big fan of DD growing up, but I try to be prepared
Whilder calls me "mum num" when she wants to nurse
I'm glad to read that someone else's 17m old is a constant nurser, because mine's been a boob fiend lately. I'm in no hurry to wean but I could really do without night nursing

Advertisement

#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:55 AM   #12
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it depends on the child.. mine weaned b/c I didn't offer anymore she didn't even make a fuss about it at 19 months!! Now dd #2 I think will be much harder
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:16 AM   #13
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my 19mth old nursling calls me "nipple" so im a walking boob LOL
Old 11-17-2007, 11:00 AM   #14
mayrain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenwaitingalongtime View Post
...how long did it take for them to give up the boob?
DD is 20m and showing no signs of giving it up. I'm in no hurry, but every now and then, I can't help but get a scary glimpse into the future of DD running home from lunch at school for a quick sip

Do they ever go on for 5 yrs. or so, when left to wean on their own?
yup my oldest went to five but at the time it just seemed like a natural progression, she didn't seem to big or too old to me...but now when i see a five year old, i think "wow, they're big" ...at 2ish(i think around 2.5) we started a no nursing til the sun comes up rule after she went down for the night...that was really helpful to me but i don't think it made her wean any earlier, lol
Old 11-17-2007, 11:04 AM   #15
jennyb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ds self weaned at 22 months and i happened to be about 4 months pregnant at the time, so i don't know if my milk changed enough for him to wean or if he would have weaned them anyway...

he was different than most lo's posted above - he dropped daytime nursing around 18 months, but it was nightime nursing that held on until 22 months!

Get Cash Back from all your fave stores-Click here to join Mr. Rebates!
jennyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:12 AM   #16
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calideedle View Post
My son hasnt nursed in 2 weeks. He cut his nursing down to once a week, now not for 2 weeks. He is 3.5! It will happen on its own. When he was 2 he was nursing 24/7! My DD who is 23months old nurses 24/7 too.
this makes me feel so much better. one of my 2 yo is just like what you describe- 24/7 nurser! it drives me batty sometimes. i try and be accepting of it and tell myself that he is trying to fullfill a need, but its still very challenging sometimes. im glad to see he's not the only one who is that way. and that it won't last forever.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:08 AM   #17
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, after hearing these night nursing stories, I think I'm on Easy Street. DD just wants 'rocking' at night.

Heh. My Mom's visiting and has always been so proud of how I BF DD successfully (when my sister didn't want to try at all) but at bkfst. yest, I mentioned something about my nighttime routine and she says 'Wait. You're STILL nursing her? WHY?!?!' Here we go...
(FTR, I quoted the WHO's recommendation that kids have BM till at least 2 y/o, then said I'm leaving it up to DD to decide when she's done.) The ONE person who I thought was in my cheering section. Bah. One more person to not discuss this stuff with