Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-11-2006, 10:19 AM   #1
mom2t
Registered Users
seller

Smile My 2 cents-washing and build up

My mother used flats and Gerber pants for us kids. She tells me we never had rashes and build up is something she has never heard about. I also have never experianced build up on my pfs. Does that mean the fancy inner material is more prone? I used to wash cold with baking soda and vinager, wash hot with 2 tbs det. and 3rd wash of calgon. I think this is too much work and a waste of water. I also occasionaly used to strip them with Dawn. Enough I decided. I had read (I think on diaper hyena) that you strip diapers with hot water and 1/4 cup det and 1/4 cup calgon. I decided to just do one wash like that. Not even a cold rinse. IT HAS WORKED PERFECTLY. One wash, I am done. I have fancy pockets and hemp/fleece pfs, regular pfs and fleece covers and pockets. All one wash, no lint or build-up and more time with the little one. Oh and as for stains, NONE!!! If i have a little one, it would have been there after the 3 washes I would have previously done. I just leave it is the sun and DONE!! I also used to use sport wash. Half a capful. No more of that either. I use Purex F/C. And no stink issues either. I wash every 3 days and this is making CDing more enjoyable.

Advertisement

Old 08-11-2006, 10:24 AM   #2
SarahJane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My 2 cents-washing and build up

Good for you! Your Mom sounds wonderful to help you figure out how to have more time with your little ones. I like Purex Free and Clear too. My diapers seem cleaner. I have hard water so the all natural ones kind of smell for some reason. I actually like Purex better than Allens
Old 08-11-2006, 10:29 AM   #3
patty_o_furniture
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Seems most of "the prefolds and pins age" used bleach in their washes
patty_o_furniture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:14 AM   #4
mom2t
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty_o_furniture
Seems most of "the prefolds and pins age" used bleach in their washes
True. Not all the time, but it is not like a pf will last forever and a little bleach once in a while will not hurt. Also, no rashes with bleach.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:15 AM   #5
mom2t
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahJane
Good for you! Your Mom sounds wonderful to help you figure out how to have more time with your little ones. I like Purex Free and Clear too. My diapers seem cleaner. I have hard water so the all natural ones kind of smell for some reason. I actually like Purex better than Allens
I think sport wash had a chemical like smell. too. Purex works and boy is it cheap. I read about using it on pinstrips and polka dots.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:52 AM   #6
daniels_mami
Banned
seller

My Mood:

i use a wetpail and i put baking soda & vinegar in it. then a wash in hot water w/detergent (purex too) then rinse with cold. sun them out and they never smell or have build-up
daniels_mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:24 PM   #7
mom2t
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniels_mami
i use a wetpail and i put baking soda & vinegar in it. then a wash in hot water w/detergent (purex too) then rinse with cold. sun them out and they never smell or have build-up
How do you use your wet pail???