Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-20-2007, 07:27 AM   #51
Jamie
Registered Users

Re: formula advertisements at the peds

The military hospital where my daughter was born is certified "baby friendly" and does not promote formula feeding in any way. All through my pregnancy, I was bombarded with "breast is best" by the military doctors. Honestly, if I hadn't already decided to breastfeed because it was cheaper, I certainly would have been swayed by the doctors.

But, interestingly enough - that all ended the day I actually gave birth. The one lactation consultant at the hospital was on vacation that week. The nurses gave me horrible advice, and gave my daughter a pacifier despite my objections. Rather than working with me to get through latch issues, they gave my husband a bottle of formula attached to a syringe, and had him finger-feed our newborn. They also sent me home with several bottles of ready-made formula.

Later, I was told that because my daughter was exclusively breastfed, she had to have extra vitamin drops, fluoride drops, and iron drops. When I asked if formula fed babies needed all this "extra" stuff, the doctor said, no, the formula has it already...I never filled the prescriptions, instead choosing to believe what I had been told while I was pregnant - Breastmilk has EVERYTHING my baby needs for the first year of life.

I took my daughter to a military medical clinic when she developed thrush, and was informed that thrush NEVER passed to the mother in a breastfeeding relationship.

Still later, my husband and I decided to meet with a chaplain for marital counseling, and the chaplain informed me that instead of expecting my husband to take the baby and let me pee when he got home from work, I should read a book by the Pearls, and only nurse the baby on a schedule, rather than on demand.

And now that I'm pregnant again, I just keep quiet about the fact that my daughter is still nursing, because I've already been told by one military doctor that nursing through this pregnancy would be harmful to the baby, and she ALWAYS recommends weaning.

Yep, indeed...the world is VERY breastfeeding friendly. (yes, this is sarcasm)

Advertisement

Old 11-20-2007, 09:33 AM   #52
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: military hosp pushing Enfamil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubulicious View Post
So who follows the WHO guidelines of not pushing formula on new moms? My hospital, a US military hospital, gave out the black Enfamil bags with formula samples once at the orientation (12 wks preg) and again on discharge after delivery. Yeah, I got two bags pushed on me. I wasn't going to take the first one but dh wanted to take it "just in case." The second one was taken just to have a bag to carry all the other papers home in. The formula is still in my closet "just in case" but I have enough breastmilk in the freezer "just in case" too and obviously that would be used first until I could get to the doc to figure out what the problem was b/c I can't imagine not BFing. I don't want to promote FFing but hate wasting so I've tried to give them away to my pregnant friends who are in need of a bag. But like me, they don't want anything with a formula name on it! I think that's fabulous!

Anyway, it's a shame that the govt hospital markets for Enfamil. Through their marketing, I am guilty of signing up for getting more free offers from Enfamil. Ok, maybe I shouldn't have since I know that I will not use formula. At the time, I thought that if any of my friends end up FFing, it would be nice to give them coupons. Maybe I'm a BFing traitor! I would definitely encourage, and do encourage, them to continue BFing. One mama mentioned at one of our moms meetings that she had just stopped BFing her 12 wk old and my automatic response was, "Aww, how aweful, why?" It just came out without thinking of her feelings on BFing/ FFing.

Anyhow she doesn't use Enfamil so I have some coupons that might end up on FFS. I figure if a mama is already using formula, she might as well get it cheaper. Breastmilk is free and you can't beat that!

What do you think about a US military hospital pushing Enfamil? I should mention that the military also has a breastfeeding support group that they advertise in the community connection magazines.
The US doesn't follow the WHO code thus one of the largest reasons our BFing rates are so low and the formula manufacturers can get away with so much.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:35 AM   #53
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
The military hospital where my daughter was born is certified "baby friendly" and does not promote formula feeding in any way. All through my pregnancy, I was bombarded with "breast is best" by the military doctors. Honestly, if I hadn't already decided to breastfeed because it was cheaper, I certainly would have been swayed by the doctors.

But, interestingly enough - that all ended the day I actually gave birth. The one lactation consultant at the hospital was on vacation that week. The nurses gave me horrible advice, and gave my daughter a pacifier despite my objections. Rather than working with me to get through latch issues, they gave my husband a bottle of formula attached to a syringe, and had him finger-feed our newborn. They also sent me home with several bottles of ready-made formula.

Later, I was told that because my daughter was exclusively breastfed, she had to have extra vitamin drops, fluoride drops, and iron drops. When I asked if formula fed babies needed all this "extra" stuff, the doctor said, no, the formula has it already...I never filled the prescriptions, instead choosing to believe what I had been told while I was pregnant - Breastmilk has EVERYTHING my baby needs for the first year of life.

I took my daughter to a military medical clinic when she developed thrush, and was informed that thrush NEVER passed to the mother in a breastfeeding relationship.

Still later, my husband and I decided to meet with a chaplain for marital counseling, and the chaplain informed me that instead of expecting my husband to take the baby and let me pee when he got home from work, I should read a book by the Pearls, and only nurse the baby on a schedule, rather than on demand.

And now that I'm pregnant again, I just keep quiet about the fact that my daughter is still nursing, because I've already been told by one military doctor that nursing through this pregnancy would be harmful to the baby, and she ALWAYS recommends weaning.

Yep, indeed...the world is VERY breastfeeding friendly. (yes, this is sarcasm)
Thrush is what ruined my BFing relationship with my 1st dd because her ped didn't tell me I needed to be treated too. We battled it for about 2 mths until I switched to formula. She continued to have yeast rashes off and on until about 1.5.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:49 AM   #54
Jenifer
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyfish View Post
I think you took that way too personally.

Breastmilk is best. This is not opinion--it is fact. A pediatric doctor's office, which is supposed to promote the BEST things for our children, has NO place advertising second-rate nutrition.
ITA! i couldnt have said it better..right on mama.. bm IS best.. idk why formula companies are able to advertise, however i have seen a wic bilboard here in delaware that advertises bfing, i should stop and take a pic, its a mama nursing, boob out and all, GREAT!! i loooove it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyfish View Post
Sadly, it is obvious that breastfeeding DOES need to be advertised. People all know the term "breast is best," but they don't bother to research why and to what extent.

Two of the four staff at my doctors' office -- three doctors and a nurse practitioner -- are certified lactation consultants. They have breastfeeding advocacy material EVERYWHERE! Including a sign that says "got Mommy's milk?" I love it. No formula ads anywhere. I was so thrilled when I went there for the first time.
I want your PED! we have no ped anymore bc of our views they "dropped" us... no vaxxing and extending bfing and anti cowsbreastmilk aparantly has deemed me a terrible mom...
Jenifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:06 AM   #55
momovthree
Registered Users
seller

I could have gone through my entire pregnancy and delivery without a word about breastfeeding. The OB's office gave me formula samples and coupons. First time moms are required to take classes at our hospital before being discharged. There was a seperate class for bottle feeding and breastfeeding. I was handed my "breastfeeding" diaper bag after delivery, complete with more formula samples and coupons.

Had it not been for my own research, I could have easily assumed formula feeding was the same as the breast. First time moms are not receiving the education they need about what is best for their baby.

Making an informed decision to formula feed is much different than making the decision based on advertising and lack of education.
momovthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:03 AM   #56
Beaners_Mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My doctors office has posters for breastfeeding and for formula feeding. They have little things they give away for both of them.
I don't see anything wrong with having posters for formula feeding hanging up.

Not everyone breastfeeds, for whatever reasons they have, and I don't think they should be made to feel excluded. Maybe a formula feeding mother doesn't know all her options when it comes ot formula. Just like the breastfeeding mothers, a formula feeding mother should be able to see her options and research the different kinds of formula that are out there.

We do not know why someone formula feeds, nor is it really our business. I think it's wrong that formula feeding mothers are expected to defend their choice. We don't know if they had cancer, we don't know if they had some other medical condition, we don't know if they just chose to use formula, we just don't know. We shouldn't judge people if they formula feed. What does that say about us as momma's?
Old 11-20-2007, 01:32 PM   #57
spacetygrss
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't remember seeing any posters of any kind at DS' pediatrician's office. He is very pro-breastfeeding, although I'm certain that he's use to people using formula. At our 2 week visit I remember him being very pleased when he read the letter from my LC saying that she had helped us with the latch. He even started giving advice and encouragement! That said, he was pretty surprised to hear that I have stuck with pumping at work (I'm a resident physician and he remembers how hard those days were himself). I don't have any personal experience with post-partum nurses since I had my baby at a birth center. Breastfeeding is pretty par-for-the-course there.

IMO, Pediatrician's and OB's should NEVER do anything to push formula over breastfeeding. In fact, they shouldn't even make it seem that they are equal because they are NOT. Period. Giving out bags with formula to new mothers, especially new mothers who plan to breastfeed, is helping to set them up for a fall (I'm sure many remember the 2 am crying and thinking about how easy it must be to just pop a bottle in the baby's mouth instead of struggling with latching). And honestly, what is the POINT of formula posters really? It's not like it's difficult to find formula or information about formula (it's sold EVERYWHERE).
None of this is said to look down on formula-feeding moms. Like someone said, there could be a myriad of reasons why someone formula feeds. However, I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of it is due to misinformation (formula is easier, BF'd babies don't get enough XYZ, your child will be needy, etc, etc).....unfortunately, a lot of that misinformation starts right after delivery and is continued at the Pedi office (and that's not including any crazy stuff the mother may have heard from family and friends).

Last edited by spacetygrss; 11-20-2007 at 01:34 PM.
spacetygrss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:38 PM   #58
pantufla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just for the record, hospitals get money to give out those formula samples. So do doctor's offices. If the advertising didn't work, formula companies wouldn't spend millions of dollars on it. For more information you can read Milk, Money & Madness. I was
Old 11-20-2007, 05:08 PM   #59
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantufla View Post
Just for the record, hospitals get money to give out those formula samples. So do doctor's offices. If the advertising didn't work, formula companies wouldn't spend millions of dollars on it. For more information you can read Milk, Money & Madness. I was
Just bought it off Amazon & cant wait to read it! Thanks!
Old 11-20-2007, 05:48 PM   #60
kissum
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetygrss View Post

IMO, Pediatrician's and OB's should NEVER do anything to push formula over breastfeeding. In fact, they shouldn't even make it seem that they are equal because they are NOT. Period. Giving out bags with formula to new mothers, especially new mothers who plan to breastfeed, is helping to set them up for a fall (I'm sure many remember the 2 am crying and thinking about how easy it must be to just pop a bottle in the baby's mouth instead of struggling with latching).
ITA with this. I was one of those that was determined to breastfeed, threw out all the formula samples when they came in the mail, etc. And yet..I was sent home with a "breastfeeding bag" with premixed formula in it. That first night home from the hospital with a screaming baby, I didn't even have to mix it up. I just dipped my finger in it and then rubbed it on my nipples to try and help her latch. I threw it out in the morning. But, it just really bothers me to this day because I was so determined not to have any of that in the house. And it so easily could've been the downfall of our BFing relationship. I'm fine with someone f/fing if that's what they choose, but I don't think it's appropriate to send new moms who want to bf home with formula.
kissum is offline   Reply With Quote