Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-20-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
icanonlyimagine
Theres a Scent for that!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
flying in the last trimester

the week before Christmas I will be flying alone with Gracie. I will be 30 weeks at that time. the flight is only an hour so I'm not worried about that part. I will be gone for a week, this is what i am worried about. does flying some how mess things up and cause any kind pre term labor, I will be away from home. I dont know what I'm talking about, I think I'm just a little nervous. just tell me to shut up lol

UPDATE** I just called the OB and asked the receptionist immediatly said no, the doc doesnt like anyone to fly after 28 weeks. she asked when I will be leaving I said the 17th, she asked where I am going I told her where and that it was just a one hour flight she asked when I am coming back I told her that we are driving back, so its just a one hour flight then we are driving home. she got my chart checked something real quick and said ok thats fine. as long as I stay hydrated and everything then it should be fine. it still has me a little freaked out because it seems like they are making an exception for me in this case sine its a short flight and we are driving home. I guess everything is ok though

Advertisement

Last edited by icanonlyimagine; 11-20-2007 at 12:07 PM. Reason: update
icanonlyimagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
cm.thomas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: flying in the last trimester

We had discussed flying down to CA (2 hr flight from WA) in Januray when I will be about 32 wks. I asked my midwife and she said as long as I'm not having a lot of crazy contractions, I keep well hydrated and get up from my seat to get my circulation going, I should be just fine to go and she would sign any waiver the airline needed for me. I would ask your dr or midwife. Mine was totally supportive of me going though and didn't see any problems with it.
ISO:BSRB TIANs
cm.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:50 AM   #3
dragynflye
Banned

My Mood:

i'm flying from alaska to new hampshire for chirstmas. a loooooong flight! when i asked my dr about it, she said it's generally safe to fly up until 36 weeks. most airlines won't even let you on the plain after that.
dragynflye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

i see you updated with your doctors opinion, but I just thought I'd add my experience.

I had an irritable uterus and got braxton hicks contractions CONSTANTLY. I flew in my last tri with ds2 and the airline and the doc didn't want me to fly 34 weeks and on. I came back around 33 weeks and 4 days or something. I didn't suffer any ill effects from it. No more contractions than normal and I was fine during my trip
Old 11-20-2007, 12:39 PM   #5
Fairyblue
Registered Users
Formely: aidan_madisons_mom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragynflye View Post
i'm flying from alaska to new hampshire for chirstmas. a loooooong flight! when i asked my dr about it, she said it's generally safe to fly up until 36 weeks. most airlines won't even let you on the plain after that.
actually the airlines don't have any restrictions unless you are within a month or weeks of your due date or have just given birth. They have an *honor* policy which you would be honest with them to tell them when you are expecting.

Dh works for the airlines and I have traveled alot during my pregnancy with Aidan and this little one. Only an hour flight back and forth but still.

But if you are on a longer flight just be sure to drink lots of water and stretch when you can.

Here' s a list of the policy's for the airlines from BBC.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_airline-...velers_6976.bc

Fairyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:44 PM   #6
heluvsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I flew from WA state to Arkansas (and we were standby so we were up and down a million times) when I was 6 mo pg. I don't think I told my OB cuz later on I asked about flying at 7 months and she said no way! It's only an hour trip, I don't see how it could hurt, especially at 30 weeks. It *is* important to drink tons of water!
Old 11-20-2007, 07:35 PM   #7
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My OB said I was fine to fly up till 34 weeks (I have very normal, uncomplicated pgs). I ended up driving instead (it was for work), but I would have been cleared to fly.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:10 PM   #8
bluebonnet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm 32 weeks and just finished a 4 hour plane trip yesterday. Not a problem w/ my doc at all. Now...add a 21month old and braxton hicks all day and it didn't make for a fun trip, but I'm fine and so is the baby....