View Poll Results: How far would you drive if you were ME?
I would drive 45 miles for a LLL meeting only for a few weeks. 7 23.33%
I would go to the one that's 90 miles away even though I don't know the town. 4 13.33%
I would go to the one that's 120 miles away and visit my family afterwards. 3 10.00%
I wouldn't drive 45 miles or more for a meeting. I'd get my info online and in books. 16 53.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-18-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
LauraI
Registered Users
seller
seller

How Far Would you Travel for a LLL Meeting?

I am expecting my first, going to breastfeed exclusively for six months (unless something terrible terrible terrible comes up), and a little unsure about breastfeeding since nobody I know has ever done it.

I used to doctor two hours away in a bigger city, and they really recommended La Leche League. So I've really wanted to go to them for help and advice, preferably before I even give birth.

I found a closer LLL group, only 45-min. drive, but they meet only on Saturdays - which is the only day I'm guaranteed to work during the week. I can't quit my job just to go to LLL meetings. So I can go there when I'm off after the baby's born, but only for a few weeks.

The second closest one is in a town 90 miles (hour & a half drive) away and I can fit it into my schedule. However I don't know anything about this town & I've never been there. It's a much smaller town than the one in the big city I mentioned earlier - a city I've got family in that I can visit when I'm there and am very familiar with since I used to live there.

Are these meetings worth a long drive? Do you think I should go to the closest one after the baby's born, the one in the unfamiliar town, or the one in the big city that I am familiar with? Does it matter if I attend meetings in a different state?

Advertisement

LauraI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
masonsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How Far Would you Travel for a LLL Meeting?

LLL is meant to be a support, not a hassle...so if you need to rearrange everything it may be hard for you to find it helpful. You can find lots of great support outside of the meetings as well, and online and books are great resources too. Have you thought about using the services of a lactation consultant? Many times the hospitals have them available to you free of charge (or at least included in the birthing package) I know I used them a great deal when I was in the hospital, and even called them all the time those first few months that I was nursing. They always offered support, information and advice free of charge. Good luck to you mama, and feel free to PM if you want to talk breastfeeding....I nursed my son until he was 14 months....I'm sure there are other great mamas on here who would be willing to lend some support also...I know it's not the same as in person, but every little bit of info helps. Take care!

Mama to Ruslan (6-25-02), Mason (6-28-06), and a new little one on the way (due 9-2-13)

Check out my website for deals on organizing, handbags, and more...PM me for DS discount! www.mythirtyone.com/105053
masonsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:39 AM   #3
LauraI
Registered Users
seller
seller

Driving far isn't really a hastle - it's something I'm used to. It's a very rural area so we have to drive 45-minutes to a Super WalMart (they're putting a new one 25 miles away though).

I haven't heard of the lactation consultant. I may ask my doctor about it. I know the nurses are trained to help us nurse at first after delivery, but I was really concerned about some of the incorrect information I'd already been given by them during my prenatal classes.

The internet can be a lifesaver and it will probably be my best helper.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:27 PM   #4
Bunny
Be strong little marshmallow.
Formerly: s**e**h
seller

If the 90 minute drive doesn't phase you, you should check out a few meetings before baby gets here. That might give you a better idea about what you will get out of the meetings.
Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:56 PM   #5
mamoo3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I voted drive 90 miles, but that was before I read your thread. I voted that because I drive about 80 miles to LLL meetings. However, it's in the town I lived in until 3 years ago and I know most of the people who attend, also I can visit my family when in that town. If I were you I would go to the city that you know that your family is in, even if it is 30 more miles. I would go before the baby is born, so you can get to know the leader. That way if you need help after babe is born, you will kindof know her and feel comfortable calling. Also, I would arrange visits with family around the LLL meeting times and do both when in the city. If it is to much hassle to go all that way for the meeting, there is lots of good info to be found online and nice supportive forums like this one! GL!
Old 11-18-2007, 04:01 PM   #6
AudreyNola
Registered Users
Formerly: wyatt'smom
seller

Let me preface my vote by saying I live in rural smalltown America and am used to driving far and wide. I voted drive 90 miles to an unknown town. If you've got time and don't mind driving I think LLL is worth it. There's a comradery and I leave feeling good about the choices I've made. It's nice having a support group like that and you get all your questions answered. Then you could go to the closer meetings after you deliver if you don't plan on working. It's nice just to get out of the house and be in a nursing-friendly environment. I hope you get all the support and information you need, you're going to love breastfeeding!
Old 11-19-2007, 02:21 PM   #7
catilina
Registered Users
seller

I didn't vote because as far as driving, it really is a matter of personal preference how far you are willing to drive. HOWEVER I would definitely go to one of those, even if you do have to drive far, especially before your baby is born and in the first few months following. My DS and I have had a very good and successful breastfeeding relationship so far (he is almost 14 months and we are still going strong) and I completely credit LLL for it, especially because I started going a few months before he was born. I wanted to be totally prepared, and it is also good to know the leader and other women when the baby is born so you feel comfortable calling if a problem does arise (even at 2 a.m...). After the first few months, when things were going more smoothly, I didn't really need to go to LLL anymore...but I continue to go every month because I have made some great friendships there, and it is always nice to get out and be around other like-minded mamas, and let our little ones play together. But I am very lucky, there are 3 groups within a 15-minute or so drive from me, and a handful of others just a little bit farther.

You might try emailing or calling the leader of the one that is closest to you and seeing if they have considered other times for their meetings. I know our group is always open to change times if there is a better time that would work for most of the members... Just an idea.

i'm a bloggin' mama! Your Fire, Your Soul
catilina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:08 AM   #8
LauraI
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by catilina View Post
HOWEVER I would definitely go to one of those, even if you do have to drive far, especially before your baby is born and in the first few months following. My DS and I have had a very good and successful breastfeeding relationship so far (he is almost 14 months and we are still going strong) and I completely credit LLL for it, especially because I started going a few months before he was born. I wanted to be totally prepared, and it is also good to know the leader and other women when the baby is born so you feel comfortable calling if a problem does arise (even at 2 a.m...). After the first few months, when things were going more smoothly, I didn't really need to go to LLL anymore... but I continue to go every month because I have made some great friendships there, and it is always nice to get out and be around other like-minded mamas, and let our little ones play together. But I am very lucky, there are 3 groups within a 15-minute or so drive from me, and a handful of others just a little bit farther.
Thanks a ton for that info! I wasn't sure if I really needed to go or not - especially before my little one is born. I'll try to get a hold of them today.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:20 AM   #9
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraI View Post
I haven't heard of the lactation consultant. I may ask my doctor about it. I know the nurses are trained to help us nurse at first after delivery, but I was really concerned about some of the incorrect information I'd already been given by them during my prenatal classes.

The internet can be a lifesaver and it will probably be my best helper.
Yeah, stay skeptical of the nurses. Between my 2 deliveries & hospital stays, I've had 2 really good nurses, several mediocre ones, and 1 truly horrible one who probably has ended a few breastfeeding relationships in her career.

I might go to the 90-minute-away one just a few times so that you can make contact and have someone to call on in case of trouble. But expect to use the internet as your primary source of information.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:58 PM   #10
Robin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Definitely go before the baby is born and start attending the one you choose. That's one thing I wish I would have done before my 1st was born.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote