Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-21-2007, 12:10 PM   #21
maddy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Did your mom breastfeed?

My mom breastfed all 4 of us, she is very supportive now !

Advertisement

maddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:12 PM   #22
Shawnah
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

My Mom did with me and from what she says I told her "No more mama" and that's how I weaned.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:14 PM   #23
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Yep, but I know with me she ended up having to quit by 6 weeks because her nipple was split wide open. I guess she can still see the scarring from it and I'm 26.
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:15 PM   #24
Jillybean
Registered Users
seller

Nope. It wasn't the "thing" to do at the time and my G-ma didn't BF either, she says she tried with her first but her milk never came in, so who knows. No one thought I would be able to BF, even complete strangers would say that will only last a couple weeks, so I was very determined. I have B***** each of my children longer than the last, ranging from 13-18 months. If I have another I hope to go a little longer, but can't see myself B****** past 2 years.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:17 PM   #25
heluvsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nope. Never even considered it. I am 41 and I think at the time I was born bfing was just "out". I was also given solids from day one, which was the norm. No wonder I have IBS and food allergies!
Old 11-21-2007, 12:30 PM   #26
HaleysMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Myself and all but two of my cousins (there are 8 of us) were formula fed. my aunt breastfed but did so covertly so I never knew (then again I was 9 so maybe I just didn't care). I had never thought about it until a friend of mine had a baby in 2006. I saw her breastfeeding and I knew I had to do it. I had a lot of challenges (PCOS and breast reduction) but I've been EBF (with a period of 3 weeks of supplementation) for 7.5 months. It takes a lot of herbs and stuff to give me enough milk to do it but I'd gladly swallow 60+ pills per day for the bonding that takes place. And to think of all of the wonderful things I'm doing for her.

That being said I'd like to share that I FIRMLY believe that my eating issues stem from being overfed as an infant. Every picture I see of my infancy there is a big 8oz bottle of formula and Mom says that I always wanted every last drop. "You were a hearty eater". No, Mom, I just wanted to suck. I also believe that she gave me food every time I so much as made a peep. I blelieve I was overfed and learned to associate "full" with "STUFFED". I have always had a problem stopping or slowing down. That's just my opinion (but my nutritionist agrees with me).

Sorry for the soapbox!
HaleysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:43 PM   #27
newphillymomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My Mom BFed all 7 of us for 1 year. She also cloth diapered and had all natural births each time.

When Gabrielle wouldn't latch on my falt nipples my mom came to my rescue and woke up with me every few hours to fight with Gabrielle and my gargantuan breasts to help her latch. I was wondering around the house half naked with dripping boobs and my mom was there with me the whole way. She helped me so much. I am so extremely thankful.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:53 PM   #28
tiredmommyof8
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Nope. My Mom had 5 kids and didn't bf any of us. She was unsupportive when I was tried to nurse my first ds. She kept telling me he was starving and needed to be fed. I thought she new everything so I listened to her. It didn't help that the hospital kept poking formula and sugar water at him either. I gave up after about a week of trying. When I had my next baby I was determined to bf no matter what and did and have successfully bf 6 of my babies .

Kate~ Now an exhausted Mommy of 9!
ISO/IHA
tiredmommyof8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:14 PM   #29
Drearina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mom BF'd me for 2 months. Then the doctor said that since she wouldn't quit smoking ANYTHING it'd probably be best for my health to put me on formula. Never BF'd my sister.
My mom is supportive to a point. Although she has made comments about it being "weird" if the baby can ask for it in any form. (Yet thinks baby signing milk is cute?) My step-dad's sister CLW, and is still nursing her youngest at 2.5 years, mom can't get over that.

I won't even start on my ILs and BFing

I'm just grateful that I had a very supportive online community for my breastfeeding decision, since I didn't have a real world support group.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:18 PM   #30
Bunny
Be strong little marshmallow.
Formerly: s**e**h
seller

We were all BFed, CDed babies. My oldest brother nursed for the shortest time- 2 years. Same with my mom and her siblings. (Mom and Grandma are both former BWers too!) My dad and his siblings were FF, but that was in the 1940s when it was a status thing to be able to afford formula.
Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote