Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-28-2007, 10:16 PM   #31
AutoShopMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Carseat covers, strap pads, and piddle pads - PUBLIC SAFETY ANNOUNCEMENT

The problem with aftermarket covers, etc. isn't that they aren't probably just fine, it's that they haven't been tested with the seat and could therefore void the warranty. No amount of $$ will replace or heal your child, but it would be horrid to have something happen and then have the company say they're not liable b/c you put a $5 pair of harness covers on.

And while we're stressing out about flimsy mirrors...what about dvd players? Those freak me out. Not that I haven't used them, but really - a huge, heavy item mounted near my child's head...I have my child strapped in a 5pt harness, but I only attach that with velcro? They really can't be that safe, imo. I guess it's just like anything else...my purse, my groceries, the toys, etc.

Advertisement

Old 09-12-2007, 09:41 AM   #32
bamamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Since reading this thread , I cleaned out the entire vehicle of all but soft books and toys, and rechecked the installations to make sure they were tight. Thanks for the sticky!
bamamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:06 PM   #33
mama2iliana
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When my dd rides in the car with her night time CD on, I have to adjust the straps. Is this OK? She is 35 months, 30 lbs and in a forward facing carseat - Britax Roundabout or Evenflow

See my listings for (updated 11/16/07)fabric , women's coats/jackets , women's Hanna , girl's 2, 3, 4, 5 andboy's 3, 4, 5
mama2iliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:54 AM   #34
jabba
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What about seat protectors that go UNDER a child's carseat? (They usually have 'grippy' bottoms and are designed to protect the car's upholstery.)
thx.
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:24 AM   #35
Kdpie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba View Post
What about seat protectors that go UNDER a child's carseat? (They usually have 'grippy' bottoms and are designed to protect the car's upholstery.)
thx.
I was about to ask this SAME THING! I have them under both my kids seats! We use them to protect the leather but mostly for toy storage (they have pockets). I TOTALLy will take them out TODAY if they are dangerous!!
Kdpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:25 PM   #36
soygurl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdpie View Post
I was about to ask this SAME THING! I have them under both my kids seats! We use them to protect the leather but mostly for toy storage (they have pockets). I TOTALLy will take them out TODAY if they are dangerous!!
I'm not a CPST (just a car seat nut! ) but I'm pretty sure seat protectors are a BIG no-no. They can severely impair a secure instillation.
FWIT, nearly all dents in leather/upholstery caused by a car seat will go away eventually after the car seat is removed.
As far as I know, the only thing that's OK to use under a car seat is one layer of that sticky, waffle grid shelf liner ( this kind of stuff). Be warned though, I've heard of that stuff melting the car's leather on a really hot day. If you can get a tight install without it, don't use it (and go to a CPST!).
soygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:07 AM   #37
Ashwin'sMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: onebumatatime!
seller

My Mood:

thanks for posting this Raven!
Old 12-18-2007, 10:17 AM   #38
andivebeen
Registered Users

My Mood:

This doesn't make sense to me Because they haven't tested it, it WILL KILL AND TERRIBLY MAIME your child?? Does anyone here drive above 30mph? Cause, you know, they don't test the carseats past that constraint, either. IMO current crash testing on "child restraint devices" is a joke.

Oh, and of course manufacturers aren't going to take the heat if you use an aftermarket product. They will find every possible way to get out of liability.

Heck, putting YOUR CHILD in a carseat is an "aftermarket product" Unless they did those crash tests with your exact child in the seat. Even then, its STILL not exactly right, since your kid has probably grown/gained/lost weight since last week.

Use you common sense, drive carefully, and try not to stress about all the fearmongering going on...just my

Due with #2 April 2013
andivebeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:23 PM   #39
Kdpie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soygurl View Post
I'm not a CPST (just a car seat nut! ) but I'm pretty sure seat protectors are a BIG no-no. They can severely impair a secure instillation.
FWIT, nearly all dents in leather/upholstery caused by a car seat will go away eventually after the car seat is removed.
As far as I know, the only thing that's OK to use under a car seat is one layer of that sticky, waffle grid shelf liner ( this kind of stuff). Be warned though, I've heard of that stuff melting the car's leather on a really hot day. If you can get a tight install without it, don't use it (and go to a CPST!).
Okay so the one that we have (Oh thanks so much for responding ) are like a really thin layer of fleece (like the weight of flannel) and have little grippies on the bottom of them. I have two Britax marathons--One that is installed with the lower anchors and one that is installed with the seat belt since my dd is ove the lower anchor weight and BOTH with the top teathers secured--they are in so tight that my suburban will move if you shake the seats but they don't slide around on the seat itself. Think this is okay? I need to see if I can find a car seat tech somewhere close. I am pretty sure they are not going anywhere, but I want to make sure I have it right!
Kdpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:05 AM   #40
soygurl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdpie View Post
Okay so the one that we have (Oh thanks so much for responding ) are like a really thin layer of fleece (like the weight of flannel) and have little grippies on the bottom of them. I have two Britax marathons--One that is installed with the lower anchors and one that is installed with the seat belt since my dd is ove the lower anchor weight and BOTH with the top teathers secured--they are in so tight that my suburban will move if you shake the seats but they don't slide around on the seat itself. Think this is okay? I need to see if I can find a car seat tech somewhere close. I am pretty sure they are not going anywhere, but I want to make sure I have it right!
Well, like I said, I'm not a Tech, so I can't say for sure if it's "OK" but personally if it were ME I'd probably be ok with the one's you described.
Not to say that I would buy one, but if I were you, already had them and had been using them, I would probably continue to use them.
I've heard that a thin towel, OR a layer of that sticky shelf liner is ok under an installed car seat. The seat protector you have sounds kind of like a combination of a thin towel and sticky shelf liner. As long as it is very thin, and very pliable my totally unofficial opinion is that it's fine. The ones that really worry my are the thick hard rubber ones... JMO
soygurl is offline   Reply With Quote