Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2006, 04:08 PM   #11
whiterabbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Which pump did you like the best?

I love my PIS. It's on dc#3 now.

Except I have an Isis at home for emergencies. It works well, but I would never have enough time at work to use it.

Advertisement

I love ducks and bunnies. Especially bunnies.

Last edited by whiterabbit; 08-10-2006 at 04:09 PM.
whiterabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:36 AM   #12
idlewildponies
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ok, a little more info here. DD self weaned at 4.5 mos and I pumped until about 6 mos so she was EBF. BUT my output went WAY down. Thankfully I had started early and had a lot stored. I am hoping DC#2 won't do that, but just in case I'm planning to store more. Anyone compare the PISA and the Ameda? I bought the soft shields/cups for my PIS, but it still never got me more than maybe 4 oz. The best I ever did was when I nursed one side and pumped the other. Can I just say how less I was able to enjoy the nursing though. Since I was so disappointed when she weaned, I really want to relish every moment I get this time. I'll be at work, so manual isn't going to work.

I'm hoping my insurance will cover it, otherwise I'm probably stuck with my current pump.

ETA: Jen, does it have preset "ramping up" or do you program it? Is it hard? TIA

TIA!
Sarah

Last edited by idlewildponies; 08-11-2006 at 09:38 AM.
idlewildponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:02 AM   #13
aimeemarie
Registered Users
seller

I like my PIS. Would love to try the Ameda though.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:16 AM   #14
platup
Registered Users
seller

Keep in mind ladies, this is ONLY my opinion. Pumps are like carriers and diapers, what works for one mama just fine, might not for another.....I just thought I'd share since I used both....

Sarah - I know I read a whole bunch of reviews online at amazon, babycenter and breastfeedingworld. I almost wish I wouldn't have because you know how those places can be with random mom reviews of people who don't know how to read an owner's manual...but www.breastfeedingworld.com has a good editorial review. They also have a great comparison chart (ok, at least I know they had all this stuff when I was shopping about a year ago)... I didn't use the "personal" version of the Ameda, only the hospital grade pump and you controlled the speed and suction with a dial on the middle of the pump itself. With my PIS, you controlled this too, but IMO, the major difference between the two was the "way" that it sucked. I felt like the Medela was "suck, unsuck, suck, unsuck" and there was no middle ground, I felt like the Ameda's sucking "strokes" were more of a ramping up and down, like an ACTUAL suck rather than just all suck, no suck action that I felt like I was getting with the Medela.

Not sure what you mean about "programming"....this might be a new feature I don't have on my pump (and the hospital grade definitely didn't have as it was older). They both just had a dial you use to adjust things as it goes....

I know the gals I worked with who were using the hospital grade in the lactation room who ended up buying the Ameda for personal home use said it had the same sucking action as the hospital grade. I never asked them about the controls though.

Does that help?? Sorry, it's early, no sleep and I'm kinda long winded. LOL. If I had it to do over again, (and I pumped exclusively for three extra months after dd refused to nurse)....I would buy the Ameda. I might still. It also is designed for even LESS chance of your milk getting into the pump, which I really liked too. I think for the price, the Ameda is a better price and works more like a mama. There are downsides to the Ameda, like the fact you can't get replacement parts at Target, but if you order some of the pieces that get "worn out" with your pump, they are still less expensive...

Quick question gals, the Avent pump you gals are talking about, is it electric or manual? I really would like a manual pump to go along with my electric for dc#2 and have heard great things about the Avent Isis. I had a gerber one, can't remember the name....I HATED IT....just MO though!!
Old 08-12-2006, 04:25 PM   #15
davejenbarnes
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by idlewildponies
DD self weaned at 4.5 mos and I pumped until about 6 mos so she was EBF.
Good for you keeping the pumping going!

I don't want to come across as being critical or anything but I've often heard it said that babies that young don't self wean but they do get awfully distracted. I thought DS was weaning around that same time, too. He was just so distracted, but we nursed in a dark room and it helped. He went a few days without really nursing at all but I kept offering in the dark room and eventually he was interested in the boobie again.

Quote:
I am hoping DC#2 won't do that, but just in case I'm planning to store more.
I am hoping the same thing with my #2 - good plan.
davejenbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:31 PM   #16
bamamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My hollister Ameda Purely yours was awesome....I tried a ton of others. That pump was the only one i could get a let down with.

It was a double electric...and it had two different dials. One for speed, and one for strength. I always did weak , fast short suction at first, just to get the let down started, then i switched it to long strong suction once i felt that tingle.

I have seen them new on ebay for 140 or so...
bamamom is offline   Reply With Quote