Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-11-2006, 11:35 PM   #11
Bare Bottom Gear
Cruelty is a tyrant that's always attended with fear
Formerly: SAHMTo2
seller

My Mood:
Re: No one warned me - sposies STINK!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishwishdish
So is it bad then if my dd's cds stink? The pee ones get a really strong kinda fishy odor pretty quickly.... ???
We have the same prob. Only at night so we use sposies at night.

If you use microfiber inserts or hemp they do get stinky after a while so you do have to boil them to get that stink out. My ds's cd's will stink after a month or so and then I have to boil them (that's using them only in the day time, if we used them at night AND during the day we'd have to boil every week or two weeks).

Advertisement

Check out my other FSOT items, I've got diapers, yarn and fiber for sale!!
Bare Bottom Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:41 PM   #12
ishwishdish
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not sure if I need to clarify or not but mine only stink when peed in, not otherwise. Is that what you all are assuming...?because I am such a newbie here!
(and yes I use microfiber and maybe hemp, I'm actually not sure!)
ishwishdish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:44 PM   #13
Bare Bottom Gear
Cruelty is a tyrant that's always attended with fear
Formerly: SAHMTo2
seller

My Mood:

YES!! Only when peed on.

ETA: Hemp is tan mf is white, yellow, blue etc and feels sticky.

LMK if you need help with boiling. PM me

Check out my other FSOT items, I've got diapers, yarn and fiber for sale!!
Bare Bottom Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:51 PM   #14
Nadmom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzhatch1
Lisa - I think the fishy smell is the amonia/fermentation smell when urine hits a dipe that has build up. Try stripping your dipes with a squirt of Dawn in the wash cycle (instead of soap), and then rewash, rewash, rewash, rewash again & again all day with no soap. You want those babies sparkling!!

HTH!
What is the purpose of Dawn and how much exactly is a squirt? Are some kinds of Dawn better than others?

Also, we had a stink issue only in the AM and I have started adding 2 cap fulls of bleach once a month and it has made a big difference. I have also heard of people using oxyclean once in a while. There was a big post about this here recently. Vinegar and baking soda are also recommended but they didn't really work for me. I have also started using less water which causes more agitation (top loader) and I think gets them cleaner and gets more soap out.

Barefoot Books
Nadmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:55 PM   #15
suzhatch1
Registered Users
seller

You can add Dawn to the first wash in order to help strip the dipes of oils & build-up. A squirt would probably be equivalent to 1-2 Tblsp.

And as you are rewashing again & again, lift the lid during the wash cycle, you will probably see soap bubbles (even though you didn't add soap in the subsequent repeating cycles), what that means is the extra build up is bubbling out. You keep repeating the full wash/rinse/spin cycle until you don't see any more bubbles in the wash cycle anymore. Sometimes that can mean 3, 5 or 7 full wash cycles, depending on how much build up you have.....basically you're washing dipes all day long

If you have a good care routine from that point foward you shouldn't really have to strip that often at all. We've been CDing for about 6 months & I think I've stripped our dipe stash maybe 4 times, so about once every month or month-and-a-half.

You have to be careful about bleach because it can eat away at some dipe fabrics pretty easily, not to mention be an irritant to some babies especially since that fabric is touching their most sensitive of areas. We don't use bleach at all, but once in a great while I'll add a teeny-tiny capful of TTO to the rinse cycle and that helps as a booster to kill anything & add a clean scent. (But again, some babies have sensitivity to TTO too, so you just kinda find out thru trial & error what works for you, ya know?)

Last edited by suzhatch1; 08-11-2006 at 11:58 PM.
suzhatch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:06 AM   #16
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

Because we used sposies on both of our other 2 and were just used to the stink, dh is having a hard time thinking cloth won't be as bad. He seems to think it is going to stink worse than sposies. I have no personal expierence but I can say that sposie pads smell horrible and I have never had an odor problem with my mama cloth, I can assume cd will be similiar.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:40 PM   #17
rebeccah5
Behold: The Official Thread-Killer
seller

My Mood:

I definitely think sposies stink!!! Pampers & Luvs smell perfumey, and Huggies smell like wet paper when peed in! Ugh!
Check out my knitting projects here and my stash here
rebeccah5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 04:16 PM   #18
deliarose
Registered Users
seller

I agree that sposies do stink, but when I have had to use them, we used the Tushies. They are unbleached and do not have that horrid gel or perfumes. They are better imo if you have to use sposies.
deliarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 04:35 PM   #19
davejenbarnes
Registered Users

I can never tell if DS is poopy in a sposie - when he's in one (church) I swear he's poopy all the time... poor DS always havin' mama pull down his pants to peek in.
Korben, December 08
davejenbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 10:47 AM   #20
Malka
Registered Users
seller
seller

Luvs started smelling strongly some time in the past year (that's how long it was in between us buying boxes of sposies). Before that they smelled like every other brand of sposies. And now they make me want to cough when I take them out of the package. We used them for about a month because dd had diarrhea on and off for six weeks and I just couldn't deal with cloth anymore. Now we are likely going to have to use them for a trip so I'm going to have to put up with the smell, and maybe even buy another box since we are running low. (I like the price on Luvs and how they fit so I will put up with the rest so save some money.) The only time we took cloth on vacation was when dd was breaking out from sposies, because only then would dh agree to it.

Malka
Malka is offline   Reply With Quote