Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-13-2006, 02:25 PM   #1
mamamac
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Still having problems with my letdown

I still have an extremely forceful letdown. I have tried different positions, feeding on one side twice in a row, self expressing, less pumping, pumping to get relief - NOTHING! I have witnessed my milk spray me in the face, across the room (I'm not kidding - about 5 feet), and my poor daughter choke till she is almost blue in the face! Feeding has become very frustrating for both of us. I've had complete meltdowns from it, never mind the fact that she is too. Has anyone ever tried a herbal tea? I'm just afraid to take something that will decrease my supply.

Advertisement

Old 08-13-2006, 02:31 PM   #2
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Still having problems with my letdown

hmm...i have overactive letdown also, but i also feel like i have oversupply. so you fear if you do anything to help the letdown you will face supply issues?

i don't really think i have much advice b/c my LC told me the best way, and now the most highly recommended, is to take the minipill. it REALLY worked for me, i went off it recently and our problems started up again. i chose to stay off of it to see if i could regulate myself, and i really do feel it's getting better (my son is 6 mos).

also, have you considered pulling her off and letting that first forceful letdown flow into a cloth diaper? when i'm really full i do that so my son will actually get to nurse for more than two minutes. i also suggest checking out kellymom for this issue. good luck!
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:39 PM   #3
mamamac
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh trust me, I have let it go out into a burp rag, but it seems like its all the time. She is constantly popping off with a mouthful of milk and a stream coming out. I went to that Kellysmom.com and read about some herbal tea. I know that I have plenty of milk, but I'm just scared if I lessen my supply, what if I have problems getting it back up? And what is the minipill? Is it BCP? I really don't want to go back on the pill. That is the last thing I want to do.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:47 PM   #4
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

oh i know about not wanting to go back on BCP! however, i must say that the minipill is not as bad as the regular pill. it has no estrogen, so it doesn't cause such a physical reaction, it's a steady constant dose, so no up and down.

with that said, it's also not really effective as birth control unless you take it at the SAME time everyday, which i sucked at, thus going off of it. i didn't want to trust it blindly anymore. it was so effective at controlling letdown/supply for me, that literally in a matter of a few days my letdowns were "normal", my son was actually able to nurse contentedly for 10-15 minutes.

i am NOT saying i would choose this as a first resort, but if i were desperate, you bet i would. have you talked to a lactation consultant about what you could try?
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 03:14 PM   #5
CourtneyinAlaska
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried maybe using gravity? Lie on your back and let baby lie on top of you and nurse there? Maybe with milk flowing uphill it might not be so forceful? Only thing that ever worked for me was the spray into a burp cloth.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:46 AM   #6
halyled
Registered Users
seller

I agree about letting the spray flow into a burpcloth for a few minutes. DS didn't like it and would fuss the whole time, but it was much easier for him to eat after the flow had lessened.

Honestly, the best remedy is time. As your baby grows, she'll be more able to handle the fast let-down (and may prefer it...my son now gets frustrated when I don't let-down fast enough). Plus, if oversupply is the problem, your supply will soon even-out so that you produce just the right amount for your daughter.

I also tried the "feed from one side twice in a row" technique. But what seemed to help for me most was just not switching sides at a feeding. I started off when DS was born by offering both breasts at a feeding--I would pull him off after the "suck-suck-swallow" pattern diminished and switch him to the other side. So instead, I started just offering one breast and letting DS nurse as long as he wanted on that side . After maybe two weeks or so, my supply had evened out enough to be able to offer both sides again.

I know it's frustrating, but it will get better. Good luck and hang in there!

halyled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:06 AM   #7
sheandaru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had OAL for a while & believe me, it does get better. I would stick with block feeding (more than twice in a row...make sure to relieve pressure on the other side by pumping a little if it gets uncomfortable).

It took about two weeks to get it under control.

You can do it!!

sheandaru is offline   Reply With Quote