Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-26-2007, 08:35 AM   #21
laj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: top ways to help after baby is born

Like everyone else said, FOOD! One thing that someone brought over was a whole bunch of precut veggies. I never seemed to have enough time to eat, so I just grabbed whatever. When the veggies arrived it just made me feel so much better to be grabbing something a bit healthier.

Advertisement

Old 11-26-2007, 09:15 AM   #22
luvmy2girls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In my neighborhood, we have a big network of Moms and whenever someone has a baby, we do a sign-up sheet for dinners. Usually a weeks' worth, but whatever you can get, be it more or less. We asked the mom for a good drop-off time and everyone signed up for their day and dropped off dinner (and most did a dessert w/it) on your day/time. It's soooo nice because normally there are enough leftovers that you don't have to worry about lunch either!! You could even put some suggestions on the list so everyone doesn't do lasagna. I always make Sheperds Pie and cookies/brownies.

Congrats, and GL
Old 11-26-2007, 09:39 AM   #23
small_wonders_wipes
Registered Users
seller

I agree about food being great, but the visits definitely need to be kept short. I started dreading visitors with dd1 because they always interrupted our new schedule and wanted to hold the baby when I should have been feeding her. Plus, every visitor was exposing the baby to colds and flu since it was January. DD2 was a much smoother time...since it was baby #2 we didn't get nearly as much attention...and honestly it was nice. I enjoyed my time alone at home with baby. The biggest help with dd2 was having family come and play with dd1 or take her out for a little while so she would not feel neglected.

With dd1 my MIL offered having a maid come over, but I just wasn't comfortable with having a stranger cleaning my house and touching my things...maybe I am just weird like that. LOL

My dad was always great about dropping off food or picking up groceries for us. Grocery shopping and running errands are always appreciated!
small_wonders_wipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:15 AM   #24
mhaddon
Registered Users
seller

Hmm.. my post is missing? Oh well! DH's family set up a meal schedual for 2 weeks. Maybe you could have those that live nearby set up a meal planner. Have 2 week slots and then they could sign up and get w/ your sister for things that her family likes to eat/ does not. This would take some of the stress away. Also, maybe they could come over ahead of time and do the dishes and some laundry for her and watch her LO for an hour or so while she took a shower and a nap. I would go over to my cousins and let her shower and take a nap- she was forever grateful.
mhaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:31 AM   #25
lilyfish
Registered Users
seller

Cook, clean, and watch the baby for a couple of hours at a time so that mom can get some sleep!
~ emma goldman
lilyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:49 AM   #26
Mom2Seth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't read the other responses, so hopefully this isn't a repeat. Food is such a HUGE help! I just had a baby shower for this baby. Since it's our second I didn't need much at all. So, everyone brought a frozen casserole. I've got a ton of food for when the baby gets here! It's going to be sooooo helpful.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:40 PM   #27
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

ok mamas- here is what i have come up with. thanks for all your suggestions!

HOW TO HELP AFTER BABY IS BORN

Make a meal for the new parents.

Do the laundry.

Wash dishes.

Walk the dogs.

Limit the length of your visits. Remember, the new family needs time alone to get to know each other, and they are likely to be exhausted.

Wash your hands before holding the baby.

Call before coming, and understand if now is not a good time. Itís not personal.

Prepare easy to grab/eat snacks for the new mama to eat while she is nursing.

Keep your visits short (20-30 mins).

Remember that they are the parents; offer advice only when asked.

Offer to run errands at the same time you are doing yours.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:07 PM   #28
elioraimmanuel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our church provides meal M-F for a month after a baby. It's the greatest help! I don't know what we'd have eaten, otherwise. One person makes a master calendar and it's passed around church. Members fill in what they're bringing on the day they want to help. They bring dinner including entree, bread, sides, dessert etc. It gives the women in the congregation the opportunity to visit w/mom, baby and family in a very intimate setting. I love having everyone over without being deluged!