Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-14-2006, 01:29 PM   #1
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Could DS be wanting formula over BM from me?

DS seems like he's just not getting enough from me all the sudden... he'll eat & then I can hear he's not swalling milk anymore (gulp gulp) & he's still hungry & will end up screaming and screaming until DH has enough & gives him a couple oz of a bottle. This has gone on for 2 days now. I am going nuts. I don't want to stop BFing but DH insists maybe he's just done w/the boob.

Anyone else going through this or dealt with it?

What do I do? I've got some Reglan I've considered taking to boost my supply & see if that's it but it's like he's preferring formula all the sudden... and he uses the EXPENSIVE stuff b/c of allergies so... ugh dunno what to do!

Advertisement

Old 08-14-2006, 01:50 PM   #2
mama23boys
Banned
seller

Re: Could DS be wanting formula over BM from me?

i think that if you cut out ALL formula and just keep nursing, nursing and more nursing evuntally your supply will catch up to the demand. he could be going through a growth spurt and supplementing formula could be hindering your supply during this time.

drink lots of water, eat oatmeal, try some reglan and just relax and nurse!

ds does this sometimes and its nerve racking to say the least bc NOTHING gets done but hey in a day or two he's usually ok and back to normal!

Last edited by mama23boys; 08-14-2006 at 01:54 PM.
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
Marielblewis
Registered Users

My Mood:

I agree that you should cut the formula out. Even if he IS just developing a preference, he isn't old enough to decide what is best for him. If you gave him sugar water he might cry for that too - surely you wouldn't let him have just that, right? Formula is no different. Breastmilk is what he NEEDS. I would cut the formula out, nurse until you are empty and then nurse again in an hour or so to encourage milk production.
Marielblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 02:38 PM   #4
ahisma
Registered Users
seller
seller

When DD was 3 months old her Nana (my ex's mom) started giving her formula instead of the breastmilk that I pumped and sent (long story...she had some serious control issues).

Within a few weeks, DD wouldn't bf at all...she totally rejected it in favor of formula.

I would really try to find an alternative if possible...is there a LC around that you could visit?

ahisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 02:49 PM   #5
havanadaydreamin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the PP. As long as he is still having wet and poopy diapers, he is getting enough milk from you. Cut out the formula and just nurse, nurse, nurse.

He doesn't have a choice of whether or not he is going to drink that formula your DH is giving him. He has to drink it or either choke, since the bottle forces him to swallow. He may not even really want that bottle, but he has to drink it since it is plopped in his mouth.

He might be going through a growth spurt, and that is why he is suddenly so fussy about that. Try the reglan, drink water, fenugreek, mother's milk tea. Take that baby to bed and just nurse him, every hour if need be.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:52 PM   #6
jeniperlyn
Registered Users
seller

He could possibly be wanting the formula out of a bottle because he doesn't have to work for it. Nursing he has to work harder to suck the milk out, with the bottle it just comes out with very little sucking. I would cut out the bottle as much as possible. I had to do the same thing because giving my son bottles was causing me problems with clogged ducts. Your body produces what your baby needs and if the baby is getting a 4 oz bottle one day and 2 the next day then 1 the following day and then none, your body isn't able to adjust and it causes you problems and messes with your supply (thats what the LC at WIC told me anyway). I hope things get better!
SAHM to Zachary Arthur 4/5/06 Mckenzie Elizabeth 5/14/08 our angel with wings 6/2/07 & Complete Molar Pregnancy 3/8/12 followed by ema/co (multi unit chemo). weened at 24 months DD and 12 months DS, , ...out of the loop! Baby #3 due 5/19/15.
jeniperlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 09:42 PM   #7
littlehawk
Registered Users

I agree with all the advice the bottle is soo much easier. You may want to get a pump, this will help you get your flow up faster also I have had used the breast feeding teas and they helped!
Nothing is worse then that feeling that you are not getting that little one enough! My pediatrican wanted me to supplement I refused! (I also got a new pediatrician one who is a LC, who said he was perfect!) Right now you need SUPPORT, SUPPORT, SUPPORT!!!!I got it from all the grandmoms who all breastfeed and the daddy... a LC is a Must if no one else can support yoy and even if they do.
It will get better!
Old 08-14-2006, 09:54 PM   #8
ShannaMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Agree with all the PP!

You just have to nurse him through it. Supplementing my first DS with formula was the beginning of the end of nursing him. I would suggest lots of water and rest for you, and just nurse nurse nurse! How old is he?

Could you nurse and then offer cereal? Not sure if he's 6 mos. or not yet?

Is he teething? Or sick? Might be a growth spurt...
Old 08-15-2006, 07:17 PM   #9
SoftBumBaby
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahisma
When DD was 3 months old her Nana (my ex's mom) started giving her formula instead of the breastmilk that I pumped and sent (long story...she had some serious control issues).

Within a few weeks, DD wouldn't bf at all...she totally rejected it in favor of formula.
What??????????????????????? I am FUMING on your behalf.

Autism Every Day
SoftBumBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:30 PM   #10
ahisma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftBumBaby
What??????????????????????? I am FUMING on your behalf.
Yeah...and if I told you the other things she has done (like ignoring the outfit that I sent and sending DD to her 1st day of preschool in a dress so short that her panties were showing even when she stood straight up) it would blow your mind.

I still get upset every time DD gets sick...I just wonder if her immune system wouldn't be stronger if I could have BF her longer. Darn Nana

ahisma is offline   Reply With Quote