Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2007, 08:26 PM   #1
AKM
Registered Users

trainers/potty seat recommendations?

My son is 23m/o and has shown interest in potty training for about a month. We have a little potty seat that DH picked up at a garage sale cheap, but I'm a little weirded out by the idea of cleaning it everytime, KWIM? I'm terribly afraid of germs, etc, so I'm thinking of getting a toilet trainer. Any suggestions for what has worked for you?

Also, which kind of training pants are best? I've heard raves for Trickle Free Trainers, but I was wondering if there were any others.

Thanks!

Advertisement

AKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:45 PM   #2
Kris5135
Registered Users
seller

Re: trainers/potty seat recommendations?

Both types of Bjorn potty chairs were the only ones that worked for my son. They have to be comfy or they won't sit, and if they won't sit they won't do their thing. I love the Bjorn & even keep one in the car for out of the house use. We went from diapers to Gerber training underwear... the pullups didn't seem to make a difference to my son & he hated the cloth training pants. He's still in a cloth diaper at night, but he's totally day trained now. I highly recommend 3 books: Once Upon A Potty, Everybody Poops, and It's Potty Time by Roger Priddy (I taped the pages together where they show a kid with a potty on their head so my son wouldn't see that, but the rest is great... my son's favorite).
Kris5135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:56 AM   #3
va703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I second the bjorn potties...we had both the kind that attaches to the toilet seat and the stand-alone potty. Both were really nice, better than any of the others we tried. A little more spendy but very worth it. Next time, however, I want to get the toilet seat (I know kohler makes one) that has an integrated kiddo seat. Cool.

We just used the cheapy gerber training pants and they worked just fine. Just a warning, once we put those on him he never once went back to diapers. That boy was night-trained very quickly because he refused diapers (or would just take them off.)

My DS was at the exact age yours is when he started the potty-learning journey. He told me he wanted his own potty and we were at the store the same day! It's so important to let them try when they are ready and to encourage them at this point. My son never liked the potty books, but I thought they were a great idea. I'll try them again with DS#2.

Happy mama to my 4 handsome boys
va703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:18 AM   #4
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

I feel your pain.

Nothing icks me out more than cleaning poop out of a potty chair.

We have a First Years (I think) chair in the house, a bjorn potty chair in my van and seats for my diaper bag and potty.

For awhile, she loved the potty seat. Now, she generally refuses it and wants her chair. I can usually cajole her into sitting on the big potty to poop but dh cant.

I think that part of the problem is that at 25mo, she wants to do it HERSELF and she cant climb up to the big potty alone.

To clean the chair/bowl, we empty it out into the toilet, fill it w/water and dump the dirty water in the toilet. A couple of times a day we spray w/bathroom cleaner and let air dry.
Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:44 AM   #5
AKM
Registered Users

I'm glad to hear the Bjorn potty seat is worth it. That's one I had read good reviews about, but wondered about the price. Originally, I wanted to get this: http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/...tegoryId=86184
but after reading the reviews about the plastic screws breaking after a few months of use, I thought my 34#er might have these problems too.

It sounds like Gerber training pants are the way to go too. Kris5135, I check out those books. I've read part of Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Potty Training Solution and I like her approach, but after realizing how much patience I was going to need for success and how little I can seem to muster anymore, I haven't jumped in enthusiastically yet.

Thank you all for your help so far. I'm starting to feel better about it...
AKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:55 PM   #6
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son just prefers to sit on the toilet. I wish I would have gotten this.
http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/...tegoryId=86184

Or at least a decent step stool so he could get on the toilet by himself.

Also I LOVE snap-ez trainers
Old 12-06-2007, 06:03 PM   #7
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I third the Bjorn!!!

They can get on and off just fine on their own and there aren't any sharp parts.

I got mine off of craiglist.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:06 AM   #8
Kris5135
Registered Users
seller

If you get one that goes on top of the toilet, I suggest the Bjorn or the Primo Toilet Ducka (what I have) because they are contoured & don't hurt the tushie. Keep in mind that your little one will dictate this whole process. My son refused to go on the big toilet when we started. Treats helped too.... not only as a reward, but to keep them on the potty (like puffs, raisins, or other things that take a while to eat). I also keep a small basket of little toys & books next to the potty that are only for potty time, so he looks forward to playing with his toys while he sits.
Kris5135 is offline   Reply With Quote