Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-09-2007, 08:38 PM   #11
hippy pippy
Registered Users
Formerly: tripsn1
seller

My Mood:
Re: My son has stomach problems...help..

Quote:
Originally Posted by myall4him2 View Post
I"ve out ruled reflux. When he was newborn I though he may have had it because you would hear him refluxing in his throat even though he would never throw it up. He doesn't do that anymore, and he doesn't spit up a lot either.

I've been on a strict diet these past few days of absolutely no milk what-so-ever and he wasn't fussy today or tonight. So maybe that's it..I hope!!
I wouldn't necessarily rule out reflux. One of my daughters, as an infant, had "silent reflux", which was determined by an upper GI. We went to the GI DR. out of desperation, she would scream for no apparent reason. She was treated with Prevacid, and was 100% better.

Advertisement

hippy pippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:47 PM   #12
hayblair78
Registered Users

My Mood:

Glad to hear the milk elimination is working... my ds was the same way, so colicky and gassy. After he had an allergic reaction to penicillin at 18 months, I took him to a doctor/chiropractor that did a bio-electric allergy test. It confirmed my suspicions that he was reallly allergic to lots of things like soy, milk, nuts, and sugar. If it continues, you might look into this type of testing... Good Luck!
hayblair78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:55 PM   #13
Thrice Blessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Gas drops can be used in more of the amt. than the pkg says. (Told to me by a pedi GI).

Can still be reflux-it may just be coming up to his throat not far enough up for you to hear. All 3 of my babies were/are reflux kids.

Good advice thus far, only thing I would add is to go ahead and go to a good pedi GI who is breast-feeding friendly. If eliminating soy and milk (completely and for a couple of weeks-takes a while for it to leave your system) doesn't help, meds may be in order. My LO still takes Prevacid and Reglan and is a happy camper (I still use the gas meds sometimes, too).
Old 12-09-2007, 10:42 PM   #14
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayblair78 View Post
Glad to hear the milk elimination is working... my ds was the same way, so colicky and gassy. After he had an allergic reaction to penicillin at 18 months, I took him to a doctor/chiropractor that did a bio-electric allergy test. It confirmed my suspicions that he was reallly allergic to lots of things like soy, milk, nuts, and sugar. If it continues, you might look into this type of testing... Good Luck!
I have never heard of that kind of testing?? How exactly does that work??

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:44 AM   #15
mengmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

You could try lactaid pills with everything you suspect has milk. I did that with Ele (cutting ALL milk out of my diet was super hard since I'm sooooo beyond picky...it left me with pretty much nothing to eat) and it worked great for her.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:16 PM   #16
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

All the mamas have had great suggestions. My son had the milk intolerance and and the reflux.

I was off of dairy from his first month until we weaned just recently. It was super hard. I was told to stay away from a lot of soy because it has the same kind of protein as cow's milk that kids are sensitive to. So I ate a lot of rice milk. I love french toast and I made this with soughdough bread, egg and rice milk (I had a lot of this for breakfast, also eggs and toast (soughdough was good because no milk). I used margarine instead of butter. Which I know isn't great for you, but I needed some sort of salty spread

Also - for the relux we had to use two difference medicines to find one that worked. But it really did the trick - no more arching or pain. Was your babe early at all - the reflux is very common in preemies.

It was really hard to be off dairy and really hard to deal with the natural wonderful amazing breastmilk that I was creating wasn't the ideal for my son. But with adjustments it turned out to be just fine.

Like another mama said - formula is way harder to digest - breastmilk really is the best.

Good luck!!!