Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-10-2007, 08:05 AM   #1
susansabrina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Tooth marks after nursing and teaching to use straw cups?

My DS is 17mo and just this week started to leave upper tooth marks on my breast after nursing. He seems to be trying to nurse like he drinks from his Nuby sippy cup. This is starting to hurt so bad and I really don't want to wean him because we are moving across the country in 2 weeks. I have bought some straw cups but DS can't figure out how to use them. How do you teach a child to use a straw cup? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisement

ISO:Planet Lunchbox, zorb, Small Lunette cup, ribbon for hairbows, bento style egg molds.IHA:Sm MEAF, Med MEAF, ME Toddlease, Columbia shorts XL womens, xl maternity swimsuit, Lg Zolowear ring sling in blue/grey, 2 Robeez 12-18 mo boys, wool wash, dog costume
susansabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:34 AM   #2
mengmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Tooth marks after nursing and teaching to use straw cups?

With ds and dd we started the straw thing at about 5 or 6 months old. We'd fill a regular straw with water and cover the end with our finger, then we'd hold it up for them to drink from the bottom, and not release the water until they started trying to suck. Having the help of gravity got them interested first, and then once they mastered that we let them try the regular way in a regular cup (sometimes kids cups take a LOT of sucking to get the liquid up). After they master that they are usually ready for a kid cup that takes more work.

As for the teeth marks, try some slight repositioning. Ds was really bad for leaving teeth marks too, but some slight repositioning of his jaw (like tilting his head up just a little) would relieve the pressure...still teeth marks, but they didn't hurt so I didn't care.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:25 PM   #3
susansabrina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tooth marks after nursing and teaching to use straw cups?

Thanks momma!
ISO:Planet Lunchbox, zorb, Small Lunette cup, ribbon for hairbows, bento style egg molds.IHA:Sm MEAF, Med MEAF, ME Toddlease, Columbia shorts XL womens, xl maternity swimsuit, Lg Zolowear ring sling in blue/grey, 2 Robeez 12-18 mo boys, wool wash, dog costume
susansabrina is offline   Reply With Quote