Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-10-2007, 08:48 PM   #1
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Maybe a dumb question but...

this may belong in the TTC forum but

DD is the first baby that I have breastfed and even though its been 9mo Im still rather new to it and leaning.
DH and I thought that we were finished having kids but we decided jut recently that we want to have at least 1 more possibly 2. At the rate DD is gong she wont stop nursing anytime before we TTC and I fully expect and plan and want to tandem nurse until DD self weans or until she hits 3yrs (no flaming please 3yrs is my and DHs preferred nursing cutoff).
We are planning to TTC next fall/winter so that we have a summer baby.

Currently DD is nursing about 3-4x a day for a full meal then about 3-4 more times throughout for a "snack" or nap and then she is permanently attached to the boob at night and I also have an IUD that I will have removed about 3mo prior to TTC.
I havent had any major complications with either of my pregnancies, neither baby was preterm and both were healthy 7lbs 9oz at birth !

So I guess what Im really trying to ask is how hard is it to TTC while breastfeeding and then continue breastfeeding during pregnancy ??
Can it cause problems to nurse during pregnancy ??

Advertisement

Old 12-11-2007, 06:21 AM   #2
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Maybe a dumb question but...

I think TTC while BF is going to be a different experience for different women, in the same way that TTC is a different experience in general.

In my case, I got AF back at 3 months post partem while nursing DD every 2-3 hours day AND night. (OB says I was "robbed." ) DH and I chose not to prevent, but we weren't temping or hopping in the bed to babydance every chance we got. Sleep won many times. By the time DD was 5 months or so, we managed to catch that egg. I am now 11 weeks pg and she is STILL nursing every 2-3 hours and even more at night now. So in MY case, we weren't even "TTC" but we weren't preventing either, so I suppose I would say it was "easy."

As far as nursing while pg, my OB said that a lot of docs tell you to quit off hand and she has no clue why. She says that it cannot cause preterm labor. (unless you already have a history and even then it's really not the nursing that does it) The only "problems" I have encountered are tender nipples and a slowly decreasing milk supply. These are more nuisances though-not true issues.
HTH and good luck.