Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2007, 06:13 PM   #21
Grrchurch03
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I don't get EBF for 12 months?

My dd is over 11 mos old and still prefers breast to solids. She will eat them when offered if the breast is not available (like I go out for a bit by myself or something). It is just so simple to not have to steam or boil then puree then heat up something. She will always like bf, it's not a question of her liking something she tries or having a reaction to it. It's definitely not a fertility issue for me either, bc I had a tubal, and it isn't for that guilt free bowl of ice cream (blech!), it's just a choice I have made with my dd's interests and preference in mind. She still tries foods every once in awhile, but is more often than not, more interested in just holding the food in her hand than actually eating it.

Advertisement

Old 12-11-2007, 08:13 PM   #22
mayrain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy2girls View Post
I think it's important to tout the benefits of exclusively BFing (EBF=Exclusively Breastfed=Nothing but breastmilk, nothing) because so many people are so anxious to start at 6 or even 4 months. Breastmilk is the superior infant food and should be the primary source of nutrition for the first year, so why replace that with something less? I'm not against offering some solids for experimentation/touch/texture, but I nurse to fullness first.
yep, us too! dd#2 really wasn't interested in solids until just recently at around 14 months, and even still, there is really no nutritional value in the 2 peas and piece of macaroni that she is getting every couple of days. Although there are days that I wish she would eat more, I am glad that she is getting mama milk so I know her nutritional needs are met
Old 12-11-2007, 08:44 PM   #23
ProudHooahWife
Registered Users

My son is almost 11 months old and is still almost EBF. He does take some solids but there are days he refuses and days he seems to want them. Then like 2 weeks or so will go by and he doesn't want them at all. IDK I just go with the flow. He STILL nurses like every 2 hours even when he does take solids. I always nurse him before offering him any solids too. His Dr says this is fine because a child can live and thrive on BM alone and that breastmilk has more fat etc then baby food so it is the best choice. If he wants solids I will give them to him. I am just not going to cut off the boob in order to get him to eat more solids or make him cry for my milk ya know.
ProudHooahWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:49 PM   #24
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:

I didn't see baby food as necessary within the 1st year and DD had no interest in eating it, so that's why for us!
Old 12-11-2007, 09:15 PM   #25
lilyfish
Registered Users
seller

I can't give you an answer of experience, because my son simply NEEDED the nutrition he was able to glean from solids. I have serious trouble gaining weight, or even keeping any weight on, and my milk has always been very watery... He resisted solids for quite a while and it made life pretty difficult for both of us.

That said, some women have a LOT of signs of readiness that they want their children to display before they feel that they can safely offer them solids. IMO, as long as a baby is gaining SOME weight (even if very slowly--even w/my son now ravenously eating solids, he has never gained more than a pound in a month), and seems healthy and content, it's okay to delay that long.
~ emma goldman
lilyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:36 PM   #26
Griffinsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

To be honest, I don't get it either. Neither of my two decreased the amount they breastfed when they started solids. Solids was in addition not instead of.
Both my guys were watching us eat, grabbing at our spoons, smacking their lips watching us eat. I LOVE feeding my lo, he gets so excited that he makes oou! oou! oou! sounds and waves his little arms and leans into the spoon. It's so stinkin cute.

I get so confused when people say there is no nutritional value in anything but bm. Obviously bm is wonderful and I'm 110% in favor of bfing, but there is also plenty of value in cereals (especially iron & b-vitamins) veggies and fruits too.

There is also no evidence to say that delaying solids prevents allergies. That WAS the theory but it wasn't born out in studies. A friend of mine has a huge number of food allergies and her allergist confirmed that. It was a good theory but it didn't turn out to be true.
Griffinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:08 PM   #27
babygirlsmom1005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Madeline was not interested in anything else but booby until she was 13.5 months old. Not for a lack of trying, we did, she screamed (and when she learned to crawl, would crawl away) so we stopped and waited on her to be ready. She has a lot of allergies aswell and she's smart on knowing what to eat....
Marcie wife to Mike mom to Madeline 10/2005 , Marshall 4/2009 and surprise #3 due 9/2011
babygirlsmom1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:20 AM   #28
HeatherElyse
Registered Users

My Mood:

DD has solids two to three times a day, she is 11 months old. However, she still rather have the boob to any other food. She eat a few bites of solids and nurses before and after. She has actually increased her BFing sessions since I started solids rather than decreasing. I started at 7 months but she HATED purees so I posponed it till she had teeth. At 8 months so got two teeth and was able to handle very finely cut veggies/fruits. Now she has three (two bottom, one top) and can eat cereals, fruits, veggies, etc.

I started it because she was really interested in food and would grab food off of our plates while we were eating. Id rather have her get food I know is good for her and wont upset her stomach (I use a lot of spices in food and I don't think she needs them) than have her grabbing food off our plates.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:45 AM   #29
viettasgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When, at 6 mo, I offered dd a little cereal on a spoon she looked at me like, "Momma! You've been holding out on me!", gobbled it all down, and cried for more. Until she became a toddler, every single thing I made her was eaten with joy. She just loves to eat.

To me it was important just to read her clues and do what she needed- she was nursing so much by 6 months, and still seeming hungry, that it made sense to give solids a try. And yes, she did get nutrition from those solids, her sleep improved, and she just loved eating more and more. It was important for me to realize that as pro-breast as I am, and as much as I kept bm the basis of her diet, she needed more than my milk after a while and that was fine.

Last edited by viettasgirl; 12-12-2007 at 04:46 AM.
viettasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:17 AM   #30
luvmy2girls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffinsmom View Post
I get so confused when people say there is no nutritional value in anything but bm. Obviously bm is wonderful and I'm 110% in favor of bfing, but there is also plenty of value in cereals (especially iron & b-vitamins) veggies and fruits too.
Cereal has nothing they're not getting from bm. Fruits & veggies, some but still doesn't compete w/bm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffinsmom View Post
There is also no evidence to say that delaying solids prevents allergies. That WAS the theory but it wasn't born out in studies. A friend of mine has a huge number of food allergies and her allergist confirmed that. It was a good theory but it didn't turn out to be true.
If someone starts baby on solids before the lining of the gut is sealed, there is a significantly higher chance of a reaction to it. Off to find some specifics to cite...